Argentina And A New "colonial Devil"?

If you have a problem with all the losers who leave their first world country to come and live in Argentina, leave the forum. No one is forcing you to listen to the daily gripes of expats here. Go to an asado típico and you can here Argentines complain about the same thing.

Poor WH, you just don't get it.

We're not losers. We may be eccentric as a whole, sure. Argentina is poor, and at the same time has a lot more to offer than other countries in the region, at the moment at least. If you want to call your country "third world", go for it. it's interesting to see how you see your country. The funny thing is we see its potential and decry what governments like Cristina's and people like you, in supporting governments like Cristina's, do to this country. We live here, so of course it is something we comment on.

We don't rant against the people of Argentina - we rant against people like you who apologize for and support idiocies perpetrated on the Argentine people as a whole, particularly the poor who have been kept in ignorance by the support of governments like Cristina by people like you. We rant against the desire of a few to continue to suck the life out of this country in the name of populism and those who either support it because they want a piece of the action, or those who should know better but are unable to think critically.

And for those of you who are xenophobic and want to get rid of those who are not like you, who don't agree with you, who are arguing peacefully against what's being done - well, one day you may get your wish and see us gone, to greener pastures. Places like Paraguay, which when I came here had a nearly stagnant economy and the poor lived unimaginably horrible lives, which now has a booming economy, the poor are finding ways to pull themselves up - and what really cracks me up: the guarani to the peso went from 3000 to 1 to 300 to 1 in such a short time. Pretty soon we may see the day where the Guarani is equal to the peso, and then surpass it.

While people like you raise their fists in "victory" as another batty Peronist leader (of whatever ilk) celebrates their empty "accomplishments".

Poor WH, you just don't get it.

We're not losers. We may be eccentric as a whole, sure. Argentina is poor, and at the same time has a lot more to offer than other countries in the region, at the moment at least. If you want to call your country "third world", go for it. it's interesting to see how you see your country. The funny thing is we see its potential and decry what governments like Cristina's and people like you, in supporting governments like Cristina's, do to this country. We live here, so of course it is something we comment on.

We don't rant against the people of Argentina - we rant against people like you who apologize for and support idiocies perpetrated on the Argentine people as a whole, particularly the poor who have been kept in ignorance by the support of governments like Cristina by people like you. We rant against the desire of a few to continue to suck the life out of this country in the name of populism and those who either support it because they want a piece of the action, or those who should know better but are unable to think critically.

And for those of you who are xenophobic and want to get rid of those who are not like you, who don't agree with you, who are arguing peacefully against what's being done - well, one day you may get your wish and see us gone, to greener pastures. Places like Paraguay, which when I came here had a nearly stagnant economy and the poor lived unimaginably horrible lives, which now has a booming economy, the poor are finding ways to pull themselves up - and what really cracks me up: the guarani to the peso went from 3000 to 1 to 300 to 1 in such a short time. Pretty soon we may see the day where the Guarani is equal to the peso, and then surpass it.

While people like you raise their fists in "victory" as another batty Peronist leader (of whatever ilk) celebrates their empty "accomplishments".

Don't waste your time with WH. It's like beating a dead horse.

Just got back form the asado and back to this quote:

Again, the losers who had to fled their countries to live in a 3º world place rant against the people of Argentina.

So sad.

Yes, some Argentines (when first asked) say they live in a third world country, but when I asked them what was wrong with the country the immediate (and most popular) answer was that the government is causing inflation by printing too much money and paying too many people $4,800 pesos per month not to work, keeping them "loyal" (for lack of a better term). There was a general perception that the more the government does to "control" the economy the worse things become. Everyone agreed that the "public sector" (including the military) was full of people being paid for doing next to nothing.

No one at the asado could understand how any Argentine would call a foreigner who came here with enough money to buy an apartment in CF or a casa quinta in the country a "loser" but I'm the only foreigner they know that's from North America or Europe. Perhaps only a small percentage of the foreigners who have come to Argentina from North America or Europe brought enough dinero to buy property, but I seriously doubt that more than a handful (if that many) actually "fled" their first world countries just to live in a third world nation.

I don't know any foreigners that "rant against the people of Argentina" nearly as much as the people of Argentina do.

PS: I deliberately moved (not fled) to Argentina on the recommendation of Argentines I met in Mexico (where I had been living after moving there five years earlier).

Neither move was based on the actions or policies of any government, but solely on my preference of where I wanted and could afford to live and the kind of people who were likely to become my friends. Everywhere I've ever lived I've become friends with independent (small) business owners and entrepreneurs (which I have been since 1970). Almost all of the men at today's asado either own their own business or work as independent contractors.

Just got back form the asado and back to this quote:

Yes, some Argentines (when first asked) say they live in a third world country, but when I asked them what was wrong with the country the immediate (and most popular) answer was that the government is causing inflation by printing too much money and paying too many people $4,800 pesos per month not to work, keeping them "loyal" (for lack of a better term). There was a general perception that the more the government does to "control" the economy the worse things become. Everyone agreed that the "public sector" (including the military) was full of people being paid for doing next to nothing.

No one at the asado could understand how any Argentine would call a foreigner who came here with enough money to buy an apartment in CF or a casa quinta in the country a "loser" but I'm the only foreigner they know that's from North America or Europe. Perhaps only a small percentage of the foreigners who have come to Argentina from North America or Europe brought enough dinero to buy property, but I seriously doubt that more than a handful (if that many) actually "fled" their first world countries just to live in a third world nation.

I don't know any foreigners that "rant against the people of Argentina" nearly as much as the people of Argentina do.

PS: I deliberately moved (not fled) to Argentina on the recommendation of Argentines I met in Mexico (where I had been living after moving there five years earlier).

Neither move was based on the actions or policies of any government, but solely on my preference of where I wanted and could afford to live and the kind of people who were likely to become my friends. Everywhere I've ever lived I've become friends with independent (small) business owners and entrepreneurs (which I have been since 1970). Almost all of the men at today's asado either own their own business or work as independent contractors.

Great post Steve...

Looks like Argentina is not the only on the list.

http://www.ibtimes.com/why-china-just-made-20b-investment-venezuela-1778134

You would have to be out of your mind to give a bus driver 20B but then again that is peanuts for China.

Back