Argentina Cancel Its Participation On The Cruzex (Again)

camberiu

Registered
On the eve of beginning of the event, Argentina has cancelled its participation of the 2013 Cruzex without providing an explanation or a reason. It is the second year in the roll that Argentina cancel its previously confirmed participation in the Cruzex, at the last moment.

The Cruzex is the largest multi-national military exercise in Latin America. Organized by the Brazilian Air Force and conducted in Northern Brazil, the Cruzex is a massive event where combat, transport and electronic surveillance aircrafts from the air forces of the USA, Canada, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay and (supposedly) Argentina conduct a series of intense simulated combat operations for an entire week.

I m glad this government does not invest in military. In a very interdependent and connected world, wars are most to regions, no countries. For instance, imagine some country invades Uruguay, can they really defend themselves or theyre asking for help? (Brazil or whoever).
My point is that for the first time in decades there are no potential conflicts hipotesis (with Chile and Brazil) so the strategy is to rely in our neighbours. If someone attacks, we will ask for help, there are tons of supra.national organisms that condemn the eventual agresssion and defend us.

I like no investing in weapons, because a) their purpose is to kill and b ) the people who used to carry them historically in this country were nuts and did not respect the constitution.

This doesn't surprise me but is is a shame for the Argie pilots. I suspect it is simply a budgeting issue - or Congress is too focused on CFK's brain transplant surgery. Joint exercises are an important element in keeping your skills sharp.

There were, and still are, a lot of former Soviet fighters that went "on sale" for US Dollars after the wall came down. I have wealthy pilot friends in the US who went over and started buying them, bringing them back to the US to restore, and are now flying them at airshows. If the Blue Dollar keeps going like it is I'll be in a position to buy an old A4 Skyhawk from Argentina in cash pretty soon. Maybe I can find one that I flew as a student pilot in the training command in the 80's. Talk about the completing the circle.

I can start the first Expat Warbird Flying Club. "Ye-haw, Jester's dead!" :D

They were trying to siphon fuel from one of the Sarmiento trains for the Skyhawk till someone told them A4's don't run too well on diesel.

I like no investing in weapons, because a) their purpose is to kill and b ) the people who used to carry them historically in this country were nuts and did not respect the constitution.

I think you completely misses the point of why events such as Cruzex exist Matias.

The purpose of the Cruzex is to foster peace by building camaraderie, trust and a history of cooperation and team work between the armed forces of all countries in the Americas. it is much easier to defuse tensions between nations when the military leaders of those countries personally know each other and have worked together and trained together in the past. it builds trust, good will, channels of communication and a sense of community and mutual interest. Cruzex is a huge investment on peace, not war.

The fact that Argentina once again did not show up reinforces the view that your country is become more and more insular and detached of the rest of the Latin America community.

Camberiu, I wasnt talking of this event in particular, but of the no investing in weapons in general, it was a respond to the crappy planes purchase.

The fact that Argentina once again did not show up reinforces the view that your country is become more and more insular and detached of the rest of the Latin America community.

Matiasba, I 100% respect your position against killing. Regarding your point that if someone attacks Argentina help can always come from your neighbors is a bit self-serving. It's like expecting your friends to always pay for dinner. On the other hand, what if one of your neighbors gets attacked and calls Argentina for help but they can't get their jets off the ground? What good are you as a neighbor?

Back