Argentina Crime a reality check

SaraSara said:
Some expats are amazingly oblivious of what's going on in Buenos Aires. But then, nine months are probably not enough to learn about local conditions, specially without watching the news or reading the papers. In that case ignorance IS bliss.

When I talk of crime I'm not talking about silly pickpocketing or purse-snatching incidents - there are so common the locals don't even mention them anymore. I'm talking of people being shot dead at noon while waiting for the light to change at an intersection I drive through three times a week.

But by all means, keep feeling unafraid in safe Buenos Aires. I've had it from a reliable source that there's a whole army of guardian angels assigned to protect BA's expats, and they are all pulling double shifts.

it's important to always be safe however your post is unnecessarily sarcastic in your attempt to project your fears upon others. you have a tendency to be sarcastic when attempting to make your points and it really doesn't help to further discussion.

as others have stated on this board, any big city is going to have its share of crime. yes, violent crime is increasing here but then again it increases in lots of areas. use common sense, be alert and live your life.

we certainly shouldn't base our judgments on the fear mongering spewed by Cronica on a daily basis.

SaraSara said:
WOW...! i'm deeply impressed: only a really macho guy/gal can feel perfectly happy and safe living in a place whilst still being aware of the crime.

Congratulations on being so tough. :D

Dearie me.

Never thought I'd have to say this to you, but grow up. This is beneath you.

redrum said:
it's important to always be safe however your post is unnecessarily sarcastic in your attempt to project your fears upon others. you have a tendency to be sarcastic when attempting to make your points and it really doesn't help to further discussion.

as others have stated on this board, any big city is going to have its share of crime. yes, violent crime is increasing here but then again it increases in lots of areas. use common sense, be alert and live your life.

we certainly shouldn't base our judgments on the fear mongering spewed by Cronica on a daily basis.

-- First, I've never read Cronica, or watched it on TV
-- Second, sarcasm is the only avenue left when faced with terminal arrogance.
-- Third, why stigmatize my warnings as "your attempt to project your fears upon others". It is insulting, and it doesn't make any sense: what would I gain by doing that?

tangobob said:
I personally knew three people who were murdered, and one who went to prison for GBH and arson. I repeat I knew these people personally, How many in this city of 4 million do you know?

I'll take that as non then. Just as I thought all hearsay and rumour.

SaraSara said:
If there were any valid points made in response to my posts I'd have answered them just like I answered yours, but I did not see anyhing else.

The "paranoid locals" label was used to poke fun at a poster which said locals were paranoid. They are not; what they are is street-wise.

Anyway, I've had enough of this safety issue, so this will be my last post. I'll even ignore the statement that Montevideo is more dangerous than Buenos Aires.

So, enjoy many happy holdups, and DON'T be careful....!;)

Answering valid points made by others, you have? I think not. You haven't addressed much at all, other than reiterating what you've kept saying all along, when it comes to points I made, or JP, Tangobob, Redrum and others.

Your belief that you have properly responded to other points of view is delusional.

It's apparent for all to see that the only voice you want to hear is your own and those that echo you, while dismissing everybody else, with the usual know-it-all nonchalance, sarcasm and the rest of the predictable I'm Above You hauteur, you seem to believe you are always right no matter what.

And you're not even that accurate when it comes to your own actions since "your last post" (see quote) a few posts back is clearly not at all what you promised.

Oh, and the thing about pots and kettles calling each other "black", you haven't responded to that either, and I just thought about it since you call other people "arrogant". Find a mirror and take a look sometime. I guess in your book it is a sign of arrogance to contradict you. The irony of it...

SaraSara said:
I fail to follow your reasoning.

My fear or lack of it doesn't depend on my imagination, but it is an objective evaluation of what I see and hear around me. I did not feel afraid in Washington because no one in my neighborhood was burgled, held-up, or killed.

But when the next door neighbor is held at gunpoint by two men, it sure affects my "perception" of danger.

Sara, no offense, but if I recall correctly you lived in the suburbs of DC, not the "district". While it's common for the DC suburbs to "claim" DC, living in the NW, NE, SE, and SW quadrants is a completely different beast when it comes to crime and one's perception of safety.

I lived in the district two years and the amount of random violence in such a small area was overwhelming. Among other things a man getting shot and killed on his way home from a bar, but having nothing stolen in an area equivalent to Palermo: a mother bludgeoning her children to death and living with them in her home; a transexual getting stabbed to death one block from where I lived; a woman waiting for the bus to work at 7am getting stabbed to death and robbed, crawling several hundred feet before dying on a street corner. I could easily go on.

Buenos Aires is probably unsafer today but I still think for a world class city it's pretty damn safe. The thing that gets me about the US is the violence just seems so random. You don't really see that in BA. Just my thoughts but then I've already shared them before.

Most of us it seems agree that Buenos Aires is safer than their big cities that they came from even though some are trying very hard to stifle natural debate eg Mini and others .

I grew up in Sydney Australia and witnessed there much more terrible acts of violence than I have here in my many years. This is my reality and I have the right to express it..............

perry said:
Most of us it seems agree that Buenos Aires is safer than their big cities that they came from even though some are trying very hard to stifle natural debate eg Mini and others .

Hypocrite much.

Perry vs. mini?.....sarasara vs. many?:mad:

What's this site coming to?:confused:

Must be something in (the city) air.:rolleyes:

Perhaps it's time for the return of Cabrera.:p

Back