Argentina Crime a reality check

perry said:
Why are you trying to stifle different opinions to yours?

Facts are not opinions.

Decrease in crime in Brazil over the last few years.
http://www.economist.com/node/16326428

perry said:
Its ironic but you are not one of those who complained loudest about the Government takeover of Clarin .;)
Hum, I don't think I said anything about it at all. Are you pretending to know my opinion? ;) ;)

perry said:
If you do not like this thread you can read another. I am sure that the hundreds of thousands of mothers who lost loved ones in gunfights find it VERY RELEVANT !!!
Would they? Which mothers? The ones in Argentina or the ones in Brazil? Why would they find this thread VERY RELEVANT? More drama.

jp said:
You likely lived there while it held the dubious accolade of being the murder capital of the US. The fact that you weren't afraid doesn't imply that you weren't in danger - it just means you weren't afraid.

Equally the fact that you are afraid here doesn't mean that you were safer in DC, it just means that you feel less safe here.

I'm not in any way trying to belittle your fears, or imply that BA is a "safe" city - just commenting that the perception of danger and the level of fear people feel will depend on the individual and their circumstances.

I fail to follow your reasoning.

My fear or lack of it doesn't depend on my imagination, but it is an objective evaluation of what I see and hear around me. I did not feel afraid in Washington because no one in my neighborhood was burgled, held-up, or killed.

But when the next door neighbor is held at gunpoint by two men, it sure affects my "perception" of danger.

http://www.argentinepost.com/2010/09/buenos-aires-murder-rate-comparatively-low.html

Let me refresh your memory and look at the facts above . Clearly Buenos Aires Argentina is getting more dangerous but compared to other cities in the Americas it is remarkably safe for violent crime resulting in death.

Murder rates cannot be manipulated. You will see clearly Mini that Buenos Aires is safer than Washington DC; New York; and Rio De Janeiro Brazil and even Santiago Del Chile by a country mile ........

I hope any expats who are considering moving to Colombia take a look at the murder rate graph.:eek:

SaraSara said:
My fear or lack of it doesn't depend on my imagination, but it is an objective evaluation of what I see and hear around me. I did not feel afraid in Washington because no one in my neighborhood was burgled, held-up, or killed.

I can make an equally objective evaluation of what I see and hear around me and conclude that I am not in any danger. Nobody in my neighbourhood that I know has been burgled, held-up or killed in the years that I've lived here.

When I lived in london, people living near me were killed fairly regularly. People were burgled and robbed as well. I lived there a lot longer, knew more people and heard more stories. But I still wasn't particularly afraid - london is a big city, home to millions of people and although every murder is a tragedy these things happen in large densely populated cities.

All things considered, BA feels remarkably safe given its size, density, the paco epidemic, easy access to weapons, incompetent & corrupt police, the huge gulf between rich and poor etc.

Its much more likely that I'll be horribly injured or killed in a road accident than murdered in the street - but that doesn't stop me getting in a car, or crossing the road. Neither do I live in fear. Its not because I'm oblivious to the danger - I just try and mitigate the risk as best I can, then forget about it. No point living in fear of everything that could go wrong. Its no way to live.

I cannot believe santiago has more murders than buenos aires, I used to spend a lot of time there and it was unbelievably safe.. I once passed out at 11pm on a saturday night in the street in a busy nightclub area, while wearing expensive clothes, a watch, with my wallet and phone in my pocket..... a policeman woke me up 2 hours with no harm done and nothing stolen. ( was going through a rough patch in my life, lol)

Also HTF is mexico city so low? I have friends here from mexico city who all say its 1000 times more dangerous than buenos aires

SaraSara said:
I fail to follow your reasoning.

But when the next door neighbor is held at gunpoint by two men, it sure affects my "perception" of danger.

You love fear mongering on this message board! Keep up the good work! :D

Back