Argentina Crime a reality check

SaraSara said:
NoPat, please don't turn the crime thing into a matter of class, saying that "the Crime & Insecurity issues are a permanent favourite song in Buenos Aires among people of certain status". They are not - people in the villas are the first victimized, but they generally don't make the papers.

Well, like everyone else in this entertaining written pastime, I talk from my own experience as much as you do from yours.

When I talk about class paranoia and my own recollections of certain classes being more -shall we say- predisposed to fear crime and insecurity historically and on a regular basis, I am not making up stories just as I am sure your D.C. recollections are to be taken as true.

As I said, the mantra of La Inseguridad is The Shtick, par exellence, el caballito de batalla of certain people, and if anything, more than trying to make it a matter of class, I was attempting to make it a political issue.

Those who always go on and on with fears of crime and insecurity tend to be those who -strangely enough- didn't mind the good old days when there was a "strong" government back with the guys in uniforms and boots. Not that I am accusing you of anything, perish the thought. Just thinking about my own growing up and hearing the same old dirge about crime and insecurity long before the last 15 years or more, and where it came from.

jp said:
I don't think you are fearmongering sara, but I think its a little hysterical to imply that anyone not living in fear is ignorant.

Being aware of crime and "living in fear" are two totally different things.

If I lived in fear, I would give up my house with a large yard and move to a "safe" apartment with 24-hour security guards, and would stop driving by myself and go everywhere by remise.

Now, y'all go ahead and get mugged if you wish. I did my best to warn you...!;)

The post is Buenos Aires reality check and the statistics of death by murder are from Brazils own government . How can they be dubious then if they are the truth ?

In regards to serious crime in Buenos Aires all indicators suggest that is is safer than Montivideo Uruguay, Santiago Del Chile , Rio De Janeiro and most large USA cities.

These are the facts as much as you try to deny them.................

SaraSara said:
Perhaps you don't know this, but Washington DC was then two separate cities, roughly divided by Rock Creek and the Anacostia River. 92% of crimes took place in the "other Washington", so I had good reason to feel safe in my area of town.

Maybe if you had lived in "The Other Washington" all those years ago, you'd have a different story to tell, and maybe all you need now is to just move from where you live to the Argentina equivalent of your old safer D.C area of town.

And I agree with you about the "No hay peor sordo". Seems that a lot of valid points made in answer to your stuff have by-passed you completely. I have another nice dictum that refers to black kettles and pots, can't remember now how it went with precision, though...

I think if you cherry pick your information you can show whatever you want. If you look at the murder rate for Argentina and compare it with other countries you will find that the murder rate in Argentina is higher and some case much higher than North America and Europe per the link below.

http://www.data360.org/graph_group.aspx?Graph_Group_Id=441

I think this debunks the idea that sure there is crime here but its not as violent in nature in Argentina as other countries. I think this idea is only valid in comparison with other Latin American countries.

From an overall standpoint I think its indisputable that crime here is much higher overall in Argentina and Latin America than in North America or Europe. Most expats writing here live in isolated bubbles in well patrolled tourist areas of town. Someone like SaraSara living in the real Argentina is probably a much better judge of the problem than someone here for a few months that never gets out of the bubble. Just about everybody I know in Argentina has been the victim crime at least once.

gouchobob said:
I think if you cherry pick your information you can show whatever you want. If you look at the murder rate for Argentina and compare it with other countries you will find that the murder rate in Argentina is higher and some case much higher than North America and Europe per the link below.

http://www.data360.org/graph_group.aspx?Graph_Group_Id=441

I think this debunks the idea that sure there is crime here but its not as violent in nature in Argentina as other countries. I think this idea is only valid in comparison with other Latin American countries.

From an overall standpoint I think its indisputable that crime here is much higher overall in Argentina and Latin America than in North America or Europe. Most expats writing here live in isolated bubbles in well patrolled tourist areas of town. Someone like SaraSara living in the real Argentina is probably a much better judge of the problem than someone here for a few months that never gets out of the bubble. Just about everybody I know in Argentina has been the victim crime at least once.

Once again we are talking about crime leading to death not crime by robbery etc etc . By all indicators Buenos Aires is the safest capital city in Latin America . I agree that Europe is way safer and some parts of the USA are safer than Buenos Aires .

I have posted here numerously abut Buenos Aires appalling road toll and death of pedestrians which is a way more important issue for me. This can be easily halved by simple measures and can create a huge reduction in death and injury by accident.

If there were any valid points made in response to my posts I'd have answered them just like I answered yours, but I did not see anyhing else.

The "paranoid locals" label was used to poke fun at a poster which said locals were paranoid. They are not; what they are is street-wise.

Anyway, I've had enough of this safety issue, so this will be my last post. I'll even ignore the statement that Montevideo is more dangerous than Buenos Aires.

So, enjoy many happy holdups, and DON'T be careful....!;)

SaraSara said:

Precisely my point. I can feel perfectly happy and safe living in this city whilst still being aware of the crime. It just doesn't bother me as much as it evidently bothers you.

SaraSara said:

If I lived in fear, I would give up my house with a large yard and move to a "safe" apartment with 24-hour security guards, and would stop driving by myself and go everywhere by remise.

Now, y'all go ahead and get mugged if you wish. I did my best to warn you...!;)

I come from a small city in the UK (60,000) pop when I left, the even smaller area where I spent my teenage years (15,000 pop) I personally knew three people who were murdered, and one who went to prison for GBH and arson. I repeat I knew these people personally, How many in this city of 4 million do you know?
Don't tell me it is dangerous, because I have lived where it is dangerous. I take care because I have learnt to, but I know the difference between care and paranoia.
Street wise is taking care, believing every thing you read in the media is paranoia. But then "Woman rescues cat" does not sell newspapers, "another rape and murder" does.

jp said:
Precisely my point. I can feel perfectly happy and safe living in this city whilst still being aware of the crime. It just doesn't bother me as much as it evidently bothers you.

WOW...! i'm deeply impressed: only a really macho guy/gal can feel perfectly happy and safe living in a place whilst still being aware of the crime.

Congratulations on being so tough. :D

Back