Argentina Keeps Losing Jobs

And the flipside is interesting...
In my street where I have my PC shop, another shop closed mainly because it was ancient and run down. Someone else rented the place and has now opened a paper goods shop, literally this week.
A few doors away a trendy/sports clothing shop closed for a while and re-opened with new owners (buy-out) last month.
A few further doors away, the butcher closed, to be reopened as a fishmonger about 2 months ago.
Although it's difficult in the high street, there are still some glimmers of hope.

Good for your neighborhood, perhaps, but statistics are more significant than anecdotes (presuming, of course, that those stats do not come from INDEC).

I dont know you people in which country live in.

Less consumption? Yes, yet still consumption.
Recession? yes, but for not for too much, we have a couple of months.
Unemployment? Not (yet)
Default? I dont think this is a default.
Crisis? Compared to the end of periods ten years long, this situation is far away from the classical crisis we wxperiment every ten years. This is A LOT better than in 1981, 1989 and 2001. It is probably an end of an era, and showing its limits, but is in no way similar than the other way governments finished thier time.

So you just cant deny FACTS. The facts are the facts. They are beyond disscussion. ;)

Well, lets put some maturity and prove me wrong. Use the numbers. Unemployment numbers, GDP numbers, Debt/reserves numbers, poverty numbers, compare the end of every single government since dictatorship with the situation we have today. You cant say we were better in those periods than today. And Im not saying that today we are good, just saying that for the first time this will not end in a violent crash.

You are the one disingenuous by looking at absolute numbers instead of trends. When you jump from a cliff, of course you are doing better at 500m then you would be once you hit the ground, but that does not change the fact that you are falling. Is Argentina now better than it was back in 1981? Sure! Argentina in 1979 was doing better than in 1981 too. Argentina in 1995 was doing much better than the Argentina in 2001. So, what is your point? When you are falling, saying that you still have 500m to go before hitting the ground is no consolation.

You are the one disingenuous by looking at absolute numbers instead of trends. When you jump from a cliff, of course you are doing better at 500m then you would be once you hit the ground, but that does not change the fact that you are falling. Is Argentina now better than it was back in 1981? Sure! Argentina in 1979 was doing better than in 1981 too. Argentina in 1995 was doing much better than the Argentina in 2001. So, what is your point? When you are falling, saying that you still have 500m to go before hitting the ground is no consolation.

now, 2014, we are better than in 1989, than in 2001, than in 1995, than in 1984, not better than any year of dictatorship.
We had 25% unemployment during the 90s up to 2003. Do you know how important is employment variable in an economy? from economic point of view, concerning poverty, concerning GDP... so for the first time since the debacle that started (if you want: continued) after dictatorship, we are having good employment numbers. For the first time we have reserves, that surely is embarassing for a G 20 nation or maybe its nothing compared with Brazil, but again, for the first time since 1950 (!) we dont have the missing dollars problem (aka "cuello de botella") we have had always at the top (end) of the cycle.

having US$30 billion (12 years after a default) is disgraceful because there are no funds to invest. There is no national savings. There is no capital for sustained growth. Your country is in "autofagia", feeding on itself. That is how you have low unemployment. It is not sustainable. Your infrastructure is collapsing due to lack of investments (no capital) and the government finance itself by printing pesos. There is no money to explore Vaca Muerta. There is no money to expand the electrical infrastructure. Without dollars your industry cannot import modern machinery to be competitive. Argentina is a train wreck. It is a bug in search of a windshield.

having US$30 billion (12 years after a default) is disgraceful because there are no funds to invest. There is no national savings. There is no capital for sustained growth. Your country is in "autofagia", feeding on itself. That is how you have low unemployment. It is not sustainable. Your infrastructure is collapsing due to lack of investments (no capital) and the government finance itself by printing pesos. There is no money to explore Vaca Muerta. There is no money to expand the electrical infrastructure. Without dollars your industry cannot import modern machinery to be competitive. Argentina is a train wreck. It is a bug in search of a windshield.

Camberiu strikes again! Keep it coming. Your comments, re this subject, are priceless.

Camberiu strikes again! Keep it coming. Your comments, re this subject, are priceless.

I take no pride on writing these things. It is not something that gives me joy or pleasure. It breaks my heart to see Argentine waste itself into oblivion by following such bone headed policies.

Back