Argentina, Second Most Miserable Country On Earth?

From the sounds of it, you're married to an Argentine. You can get permanent residency yesterday.
Exactly! Check the forum there are a couple of recent threads about getting residency here (incl. what documents to bring etc.). Takes around 3 months until you get the permanent residency, but you get a type of temporary residency called precaria the day your application is received. Some will give you an account with the the precaria residence (Banco Nacion is your best bet).
Regarding not able to buy a car: You can easily buy and register a car with just a tourist entry stamp in your passport and a tax ID for foreigners. No residency required. Only to take the car outside the country you need the residency.
Not sure about the meat prices in Buenos Aires but 200 pesos per kilo sounds ridiculous. Even at Jumbo - which is one of the expensive supermarket chains - "asdado carnicero" costs a little less than 90 pesos per kilo. Local butcher shops have better prices and quality.

Exactly! Check the forum there are a couple of recent threads about getting residency here (incl. what documents to bring etc.). Takes around 3 months until you get the permanent residency, but you get a type of temporary residency called precaria the day your application is received. Some will give you an account with the the precaria residence (Banco Nacion is your best bet).
Regarding not able to buy a car: You can easily buy and register a car with just a tourist entry stamp in your passport and a tax ID for foreigners. No residency required. Only to take the car outside the country you need the residency.
Not sure about the meat prices in Buenos Aires but 200 pesos per kilo sounds ridiculous. Even at Jumbo - which is one of the expensive supermarket chains - "asdado carnicero" costs a little less than 90 pesos per kilo. Local butcher shops have better prices and quality.

I think the poster said they didn't have the money to buy a car up front. Which is where residency helps that they can get it on cuotas for up to 7 years. Although being in Lanus I wouldn't buy a car even if someone gave it to me for 5 pesos.

I think the poster said they didn't have the money to buy a car up front. Which is where residency helps that they can get it on cuotas for up to 7 years. Although being in Lanus I wouldn't buy a car even if someone gave it to me for 5 pesos.
Yes, she mentioned: "... and i cannot get a bank account or buy a vehicle (also because I don't have 120,000 pesos to do so)". The first part is wrong - you can buy a car being just a "tourist" without any problems. The second part: $120000 buys you a brand new car. Why not start with a used one until the rest (residency, work, finding a better neighborhood) is settled. Some older VW Gol Power or so.

Lanus generally sucks. I assume they are paying 0 for rent? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to stay there. And it's a crappy place to not have a car. There's a lot of barrios inside of Capital where you can pay cheap rents (especially if the husband is local and can get a garantia). You won't be in Barrio del Parque of course but there are a lot of other options. However as someone else mentioned, I wouldn't want to leave my car on the street in most areas of Lanus (there are actually, believe it or not, some areas that have some pretty nice houses).

And about the car, we have our 2007 Ford Focus for sale (I think he's asking $72,000 pesos, I'd have to confirm). It's in great condition, we're just selling it because my husband was given a company car and we'd rather use the garage space for a workshop. 120k is not necessary to buy a car, unless the poster has a very specific car in mind.

According to this report Argentina was 29th in the happiest league. So someone isnt getting their happy/miserable facts right. Or maybe since this article was posted in 2013 , Argentines have just become really miserable.
http://www.telegraph...st-country.html

[background=rgb(242, 242, 242)]Osprey87, [/background]if you do come back to this thread here are some ideas to improve your situation.
  • Haul ass down to your local Migraciones and get your residency (family) and DNI processed.
  • Assuming your husband's family own property and can thus provide you both with a property guarantee, tell him you aren't happy in Lanus and that you would like to move. Try looking for an apartment in a Palermo satellite barrio like Almagro, Villa Crespo, Chacarita or Colegiales.
  • If you are starved of patrician company, try Baexpats' very own Book Club or Coffee Chat.
And ask around these forums for anything else you need.

I know an american/bulgarian couple, where the husband was deported to Bulgaria with a 10-year ban for an unauthorized work in the US. She moved to Sofia with him and asked the US immigration for letting her husband back to the US, because of her hardship living/working in Bulgaria. The ban was lifted and they moved back in 1 year after his deportation. Happy end.

NO KIDDING!! I wanna punch those people! :mad:
Obviously they have no idea what they're talking about. Most likely, they've never been here.
I don't think there is a "Paris" of South America, neither is there one in North America. :mellow:
I don't,remember reading anything about "A Paris" of North America.

Back