Argentina suspends beef exports for 30 days

Today A24 TV presented interviews to 3 Argentine steak resto owners in Paris. Venice and Berlin, they are scared because of the beef exports suspension . Some have meat in storage for 60 or 90 days. Others have a 2nd. choice : Texas beef ?, claimed to be excellent.

The Price of a 400 gr Argentine steak at the resto starts at 20 Euro..OMG. Don Julio looks better all the time..!

I would argue that in terms of US beef, that from the Midwest is the very best. Texas beef tends to be a bit on the tough and chewy side, IMO

I would argue that in terms of US beef, that from the Midwest is the very best. Texas beef tends to be a bit on the tough and chewy side, IMO

Maybe Texas beef suits best the taste of European consumers ? or haven't tried tried the Midwest delicacy.

Maybe Texas beef suits best the taste of European consumers ? or haven't tried tried the Midwest delicacy.

Most US beef is still banned for import by the EU because of rampant hormone use. Trump negotiated an increase with the EU in 2019, but even this is still limited to hormone-free beef.

Here's an interesting article on the state of the cattle industry in the US: "Yes, cattle get hormones and steroids to force them to bulk up faster, but the “FDA corroborates that they’re safe,” and they save acres of corn."

Most US beef is still banned for import by the EU because of rampant hormone use. Trump negotiated an increase with the EU in 2019, but even this is still limited to hormone-free beef.

Here's an interesting article on the state of the cattle industry in the US: "Yes, cattle get hormones and steroids to force them to bulk up faster, but the “FDA corroborates that they’re safe,” and they save acres of corn."

OK, that's a really interesting article. I almost dismissed it after the first few paragraphs, and I'm really glad I didn't. The second half or so is about new ranching practices that can actually produce carbon-negative beef production. I would urge you all to read it.

The catch is this-

Regenerative agriculture isn’t settled science. While it’s clear that good grazing practices and other regenerative techniques can boost soil health, reduce erosion, and increase water retention, it’s unclear exactly how much carbon the soil sequesters and for how long. Regional variability also hasn’t been fully studied, and the research showing net-carbon-negative beef was conducted in relatively lush climates. Jason Rowntree, a Kingwood-raised, Texas A&M–educated professor at Michigan State who has led much of that work, told me that it would be “considerably more challenging” to get the same results in more arid climates. But even with the uncertainties, Forrest and Collins are certain the system is far better than what’s currently in place.
(emphasis is mine)

Just how lush or arid are the cattle-producing parts of Argentina?

Just how lush or arid are the cattle-producing parts of Argentina?
I can only describe what I've seen driving though BA province on the road to Mar del Plata... grass fields to the horizon, many thousands of cows, and a really surprising number of lakes, lagoons and small rivers. Some were dried up but it was high summer, At least that area seems pretty lush.

Here beef costs a dollar in the states it costs 30 dollars. Eat beef in Arg. Eat many different varieties of foods in the states.

This, exactly. I can get a vaciopan or bondipan and fritas at Parrilla la Soñada, (Maipú just north of Cordoba, microcentro) for 400 pesos, which is well under three bucks.

I saw some prices on steaks at some Chicago steakhouse a few months ago and like to had a coronary. It was just crazy expensive, like 50 to 80 dollars. Granted, La Soñada is just a parrilla economica, not a fancy steakhouse, but still.

Going back to that article above, that I was praising the second half of, the first part was about the usual vegan garbage nonsense, blah blah cow farts, eat bugs, blah blah blah. And I was just shaking my head imagining the reaction of the typical Argentino if you tried to sell him that business, "Oye, yanqui pelotudo, que me chupes la ****"

There is no way you are ever going to turn the people of this country into vegans. You try to separate them from their asado and they might just hurt you, badly. And that's one more reason why I love Argentina.

Lesson of life -

never eat beef in US.

That's completely moronic. The goofy "everything American is bad" attitude in South America is one of these great puzzles. Okay, so I'm an avid American beef-eater and I can tell you that here in California, the beef is amazing. But completely to one side of that, like, everything here is better than everything in most places in South America. And there's this repeated claim that America poisons their people, when our environmental and agricultural controls are 10x more strict than those anywhere in South America. It's crazy! People in Buenos Aires will happily explain to you how the country you're from - which they have never visited - has some terrible agricultural or whatever problem . . . while their country is doing stuff 5-10x worse.

Spare us. America is the single greatest force for positive social/environmental/whatever change in the world. There's not a lot of serious debate on that point.

Last edited:
Back