Argentina suspends beef exports for 30 days

OK, I finally got a chance to read the article, and there are few surprises.
The agro producers have declared a strike of sorts for 9 days, saying that -

1) This is a repeat of an export ban from 2005-2015 that had disastrous consequences, leading to closing of 138 frigorificos and the decline in the cattle herds of Argentina by 10 million head.

2) Roughly 70% of the beef exported is of cuts not popular for internal consumption (I'm skeptical about this one).

3) They mention "el conflicto por la 125 en 2008", and I have no idea what that was. Anybody else have an idea?

4) The Germans are still mad about having been cut off from Argentine beef when they hosted the world cup of 2006.

In any case, the agro industrial sector is royally pissed off about this, and the CAA, the SRA, plus the breed-specific producers associations of 14 different breeds have all condemned it in fulminating, sulfurous terms. These people are really, really, really angry.
Thanks for that! I appreciate it.

Actually, I find it easy to believe point two, though until recently I assumed without any evidence that most of the business would have been whole carcasses which could have been diverted back onto the local market. Compare a chart of Argentine beef cuts with one from the UK or USA and they are very different: the most obvious to me is the ribs sliced through for asado vs. ribs cut across for roasting in the oven. More and more retailers in the destination countries are insisting that products are delivered prepared and packaged - in some cases, labelled and priced as well - so I can believe they are sitting on stocks that would be difficult to sell on the local market.

Thanks for that! I appreciate it.

Actually, I find it easy to believe point two, though until recently I assumed without any evidence that most of the business would have been whole carcasses which could have been diverted back onto the local market. Compare a chart of Argentine beef cuts with one from the UK or USA and they are very different: the most obvious to me is the ribs sliced through for asado vs. ribs cut across for roasting in the oven. More and more retailers in the destination countries are insisting that products are delivered prepared and packaged - in some cases, labelled and priced as well - so I can believe they are sitting on stocks that would be difficult to sell on the local market.

Excellent point about the beef ribs being sliced the other way. It was one of the first differences I noticed. But the thing the exporters love to say is that lomo isn't popular here in Argentina. And it strikes me as suspiciously convenient that the most expensive cut, with the highest value per kilo, should be deemed "not popular" in their home country. I mean, this is filet mignon we're talking about here!

To be fair, it may have to do with the Argentina habit of cooking beef until it's brown all the way through, and regarding with distaste the lovely rare pink inside that we Americans prize. Lomo doesn't have much fat to keep it moist, and it tends to dry out some if fully cooked, which is why filet mignon is often wrapped in bacon in the USA. Argentinos do like the fattier cuts, in my observation, and yet I have also observed that Argentine meats in general tend to be leaner than their US counterparts.

Hmmm, could we wrap lomo in panceta? I need to try that...

Perhaps that Argentine thing about cooking the meat all the way through has something to do with Argentina's history of problems with hoof & mouth disease. I'm not sure.

Excellent point about the beef ribs being sliced the other way. It was one of the first differences I noticed. But the thing the exporters love to say is that lomo isn't popular here in Argentina. And it strikes me as suspiciously convenient that the most expensive cut, with the highest value per kilo, should be deemed "not popular" in their home country. I mean, this is filet mignon we're talking about here!

To be fair, it may have to do with the Argentina habit of cooking beef until it's brown all the way through, and regarding with distaste the lovely rare pink inside that we Americans prize. Lomo doesn't have much fat to keep it moist, and it tends to dry out some if fully cooked, which is why filet mignon is often wrapped in bacon in the USA. Argentinos do like the fattier cuts, in my observation, and yet I have also observed that Argentine meats in general tend to be leaner than their US counterparts.

Hmmm, could we wrap lomo in panceta? I need to try that...

Perhaps that Argentine thing about cooking the meat all the way through has something to do with Argentina's history of problems with hoof & mouth disease. I'm not sure.
Which is why when I eat Lomo at a restaurant, I insist on vuelta y vuelta. Casi crudo. If it is jugoso, I send it back.

Have you ever eaten Lomo prepared here? It's a rock. No wonder they don't like it.

Did Reddit Argentina claim to be a "paragon of good taste and objective scholarly debate"?

How smug and condescending.

Ah, no, not at all. That was just me being sarcastic. Reddit Argentina positively revels in being crude, vulgar, and most emphatically not politically correct.

EDIT: Ah, no, wait. Now I understand. You got the sarcasm, (it was broad enough to be unmistakable), you were calling me smug and condescending. Yeah, OK, I'll plead guilty to that :)

Ah, no, not at all. That was just me being sarcastic. Reddit Argentina positively revels in being crude, vulgar, and most emphatically not politically correct.

EDIT: Ah, no, wait. Now I understand. You got the sarcasm, (it was broad enough to be unmistakable), you were calling me smug and condescending. Yeah, OK, I'll plead guilty to that :)
Ok. You might be worthy of toleration.

I am in a rural, agricultural province. I hope the local governor bans exports of produce to other provinces to keep the price of fruit and veg low here.

You know...to fight local/regional inflation. You 'big city folk' need to grow your own damn food. Quit your stupid advanced tech jobs, put down your fancy computers and get a plow you ingrates..

Once I've convinced the province, then we can get to work on the village government and ban exports to other villages in the province.

lol....

Does anyone own a scale that measures the weight of arrogance vs stupidity? 'cause I'm not sure which is greater....

Sorry, scales are made in cities. :)

Back