Argentina, the black economy and living without banking

Lucas

Registered
The majority of the population does without daily banking, mortgages, car loans, overdrafts or credit cards, yet the economy is booming.

So is Argentina's cash-based example one we should be following, asks Jack Horgan-Jones from Eire

MIGUEL FELDMAN, a dentist in the wealthy Buenos Aires neighbourhood named for Argentine economist Manuel Belgrano, tells a story about helping his friend move house. He had been enlisted, along with his son, to set up the sound system.

“There was a speaker that didn’t work,” he says. “It worked at a very low volume.”

The pair tried in vain to adjust settings and rewire the speaker, but to no avail. Finally they removed the rear panel to look inside.

“Do you know what we found inside?” Feldman says. “Almost 300,000 US dollars cash.”

Orla Treacy (25) is originally from Limerick but has lived in Buenos Aires for the past two years. She works in the city and says that the banking practices of expats are as erratic as those of Argentinians.

“I am fortunate enough to work in a global company, so everything I do as regards payment and banking is official and on the books,” she says. “But many friends and acquaintances work illegally, or en negro, for local schools, companies, magazines or agencies and affiliates for companies in the United States or Europe. Many employers come to arrangements with their employees whereby they get paid in cash slightly above the going market rate and they keep quiet about how much they get paid and by whom.”

Treacy adds that expat rent and purchases are made in cash and that “there are usually substantial discounts from landlords and shop-owners if dollar cash is on offer, as this allows them to also keep things en negro”.

...more

I think it makes sense that expats don't lodge their money in Argentinian bank accounts...they can't open one in the 1st place!

You CAN open a bank account down here and I actually have had one with Galicia for the past 7 months. You just need to know who to talk to.

That being said, I never use it and refuse to keep a lot of money in there due to the obvious reasons. I, like everyone else, just keep my cash in a Safe (right next to my locked and loaded Colt 45 for those ladrones reading this:).

My girlfriend is from here and there are numerous times where she tries to pull her money out of the ATM with no luck at all. Can you imagine? A bank with no cash? She tries hitting up as many ATMs as she can and they would all be out of cash. Things are starting to get really bad down here with the shortage of cash and prices rising higher than salaries as well as the exchange rate. It's getting to the point where it's even expensive for me to purchase things that I once thought were reasonable, thus pushing me out of the market (and I'm not struggling by any means). How long can this Economy sustain these issues before rioting in the streets again?

It's very useful to have a bank account here if you need to pay bills online and avoid having to do all that pagofacil stuff...just keep a minimum amount in it.
I agree with gsi16386, if expats are being priced out of the market it can't be a good sign. But locals seem to get their money from some unexplained source....my cleaning lady is always buying this, buying that, stuff that costs hundreds of pesos. Hmmm. Maybe someone can enlighten me...

"She tries hitting up as many ATMs as she can,".... p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Sometimes it's a real struggle trying to get money from the the ATMs. I get up early in the morning and go to the bank about 07:00,.. (any earlier and there are groups of guys still drinking, etc., on the streets.) The machines will be empty by 10 or 11 if they are not already empty. Also, there is usually less/no money over the weekends. Mondays, they don't fill the machines until the afternoon. So, Tuesday to Friday is your best bet. A sad system to deal with...and of course there is that cursed limit $ you are able to pull out.

In my experience I have never found an ATM with no cash so far, not a single time (I probably withdraw money once every 3 weeks or so), I always choose international banks and their ATMs are always able to dispense cash. I am not going to open a bank account as I am leaving soon, but that's exactly the attitude I don't like about this country: "you can, you just need to talk to..." are we not supposed to be all equal in this world? Is opening a bank account not something everybody should be able to do? Why do I have to know someone in a bank in order to do it?

Uncle Dermot said:
In my experience I have never found an ATM with no cash so far, not a single time (I probably withdraw money once every 3 weeks or so), I always choose international banks and their ATMs are always able to dispense cash. I am not going to open a bank account as I am leaving soon, but that's exactly the attitude I don't like about this country: "you can, you just need to talk to..." are we not supposed to be all equal in this world? Is opening a bank account not something everybody should be able to do? Why do I have to know someone in a bank in order to do it?

You do not like our culture . JUST LEAVE LEAVE AND CLOSE THE DOOR . Argentina is not for whingers like you .

I think the idea of a safe and a loaded .45 makes a lot more sense than the other banking options mentioned :) lol I seem to remember a major bank down there recently having all the safety deposit boxes cleaned out by the ladros (?) The older I get the more I distrust banks anyway - whatever country they are in... :)

Uncle Dermot said:

In fact any person is able to open a bank account in Argentina with a CDI, you do not need any special contacts or fantasies.

Back