Argentina, the black economy and living without banking

Uncle Dermot said:
I am not going to open a bank account as I am leaving soon, but that's exactly the attitude I don't like about this country: "you can, you just need to talk to..." are we not supposed to be all equal in this world? Is opening a bank account not something everybody should be able to do? Why do I have to know someone in a bank in order to do it?
I don´t know where you are coming from, but if it makes you feel any better, or maybe makes you re consider your thoughts on equality, I have been married to an American expat for over 8 yrs now, when in the US I tried to open a bank account and they would not do it! I blame that on idiotic employees of some bank office in the boonies, just sayin´...

My experience: opening a bank account in Argentina with a CDI, is of limited use. Most banks I have dealt with, will not do much for you unless you have a DNI. DNIs make everything work more easily.
I have been married to an British expat for over 4 yrs now, when in the US she tried to open a bank account and they would do it! ...... some bank office in the boonies too, just sayin´...

The bureaucracy here does have a positive side, it brings out one's fighting attitude and in the end it's amazing what you can get done through perseverance and sheer bloody mindedness. Raising your voice and having a bit of a tantrum can actually help, no one seems to mind at all!

ptolemy said:
My experience: opening a bank account in Argentina with a CDI, is of limited use. Most banks I have dealt with, will not do much for you unless you have a DNI. DNIs make everything work more easily.
I have been married to an British expat for over 4 yrs now, when in the US she tried to open a bank account and they would do it!

I would add that more than a DNI, being able to speak good Spanish is what actually makes the difference.

nikad said:
I would add that more than a DNI, being able to speak good Spanish is what actually makes the difference.

When you live where I do, that applies to everything (and I wouldn't have it any other way).:D

This includes (but is not limited to) reporting a power or telephone outage, ordering LP gas, being able to call for a doctor (to make a house call), dealing with an electrician, plumber, or auto mechanic, and getting air conditioning installed (it's going to be 35/96 here today).

Uncle Dermot said:
It is not the culture I don't like here, it is just the lack of it...;)

As if the USA has any culture :):). You are in the worlds most beautiful country Argentina . Look at it a honour that you are allowed to be here;)

cabrera said:
As if the USA has any culture :):). You are in the worlds most beautiful country Argentina . Look at it a honour that you are allowed to be here;)
Honour acknowledged and paid back: you are also allowed to be in my country so come and visit whenever you want ;)

interesting article. my (local) roommates keep insisting that this is the way things are done here but i haven't been able to break into all this quite yet...

so can anyone give me advice on exactly what to do with my money once ? The idea of keeping alot of cash in my apt safe is a little scary. Just how safe are those safes. I know there will be cleaning service and things like that.

Leahschauer said:
so can anyone give me advice on exactly what to do with my money once ? The idea of keeping alot of cash in my apt safe is a little scary. Just how safe are those safes. I know there will be cleaning service and things like that.

leah - unless you've got a job or a marriage and therefore residency set up, or you know someone here who can get around the prohibitions on tourists opening bank accounts here, the argentine banking system won't really be an option, so it's a moot point.

just keep your $$ in the USA in a charles schwab checking account. they remiburse all ATM fees. ATM fees here are US $4 plus whatever your bank charges, and you'll be going to the ATM here A LOT, so it's really the only option. then get a capital one credit card to use at the few places that actually accept credit cards. capital one waives international fees.

Back