Argentina wants more money from IMF now

MilHojas

Registered

They're not asking for more money, exactly, they're trying to renegotiate the unsustainable loan already in place. Even the Financial Times criticized Macri's 2018 loan which he only secured after he called Trump, who then called someone else, and just like that, Macri gets the largest loan in IMF history.

They're not asking for more money, exactly, they're trying to renegotiate the unsustainable loan already in place.

The remaining amount of IMF financial support (US$35 billion) will be made available over the duration of the arrangement, subject to quarterly reviews by the Executive Board.

This is what they are renegotiating. I think they are expecting new tranches of money.

Someone explain to me like I'm 5 why any sophisticated financial institution would loan money to Argentina.

Because the interest payments are large. Like large enough to make someone loan them money even though they know they won't get paid back. It's all good until they don't get paid.

Someone explain to me like I'm 5 why any sophisticated financial institution would loan money to Argentina.
For the same reason those payday lenders and loan-sharks exist: The rewards of very high interest rates offset the risk.

It is a form of political influence.

After getting an IMF loan Argentina has no choice but to please IMF heavyweights. Let's say Argentina decides to support Venezuela, or gets too close to China.

Somebody will explain to Guzman that next time when Argentina needs to renegotiate its IMF debt, it's going to be much more difficult, unless ...

The IMF is p a humanitarian organization. It is the world's lender-of-last-resort. Play I Am ass is focused on return of principal, but not necessarily an adequate return on investment. Aiims will lend Argentina money when no one else will, at an interest rate lower than any rational investor, because of its political power, but also because it's Mission.
Good question. There are a few reasons.

First, the IMF doesn't have a lot of options. The IMF is already into Argentina for around $44B. Since there are no other investors willing to refinance this loan, the IMF's only choice is to roll over the debt itself with new terms (hopefully). China would probably make some type of mafia-style loan to Argentina, but the terms would be worse, so the IMF presents a better option.

Second, the IMF is not a rational investor. It does not seek an adequate return on capital. It does not adjust for risk the same way a capital markets investor would. The IMF's is funded by the world's richest countries and its mission (at least ostensibly) is humanitarian. It serves as the world's lender of last resort. This difference in profile and mission leads the IMF to make loans on economic terms that no rational investor can justify.

Third, those generous terms are not free. The IMF has a political mandate - steeped in orthodox economics - to influence the economic direction of the world in the mold of its benefactors. To receive/renegotiate an IMF loan, the debtor country must agree to economic measures consistent with western capitalism and free markets. As Greece learned to its considerable difficulty, sometimes those terms can involve painful alterations to an economy. As Venezuela learned, dictators are not shown the welcome mat at the IMF.

Last, due to the structure of the IMF, it's power is more than the terms outlined in the loan. No one really cares if Argentina grinds Blackrock down from par to $.55 cents. That's Blackrock's and its investor's problem. But to cross the IMF means to disrupt relationships with the IMF's funders - i.e. the US, most of Europe, etc...It also means to shut the emergency window of last resort. It's kinda like stiffing your rich in-laws on a loan. There's the money, but there's also all the qualitative difficulties that go along with it.

In short, it's a situation where people (IMF members with check-writing privileges) loan money that's not theirs to people (several Argentine presidents) who expect someone else to pay it back.

Back