argentine citizenship by naturalization

el kaliforniano...

Registered
How do you know you have it?

you get a phone call to show up at an important building full of important people…you check in upon arrival…you sign a paper…and then you wait five hours…and then they give you the option to swear-in por la patria…por dios…o por dios y los santos…you choose…

then you go down to the third floor…as a group…to a big room with a big table…the judge comes out…all rise…instructions are given…the swearing in begins…the judge reads verbatim from a paper...ill not ruin the surprise…when the judge stops reading you have been instructed to reply…”si, juro”…you say "si juro"...the judge then says “que el pueblo me lo demande”…and signs two papers…and then a third…

what you now have in your hands are three documents…one is diploma style…think receiving your high school diploma…it says republica argentina at the top…ciudadania argentina in the middle and your name at the bottom. the second is the legal equivalent of your high school transcripts…and the third says carta de ciudadania…

as you walk lightly out of the building thinking to yourself…i did it…its finally done…no lawyers…i didn’t have to get married…or make a baby…and fuck immigrations…and fuck afip and fuck registro civil…well no actually i take that last fuck back…i have to go back to registro civil to get my dni argentino…that last fuck will have to wait…but i digress…

so there you are…thinking to yourself…i did it…its over...its done...the worst part is behind me...and you happen to look down at these most sacred...most official looking...most hard to come by documents and you spot the date…and its the same on all three documents…the twenty-eighth of december…2010…and you think to yourself…NO NO NO…this cant be…or can it?

What's wrong with the date? It must be when they processed the papers...

Ditto what's the problem, better yet why did you get Argentine citizenship? What's the benefit versus residency?

Well, you didn´t finish yet. You have to go to RENAPER to make your argentinian DNI. Regards

I don't get it either... Don't you like that date?

gouchobob said:
Ditto what's the problem, better yet why did you get Argentine citizenship? What's the benefit versus residency?

...a friend of mine informed me of a decreto that came through their office...decreto 1169...and i started it thinking yeah why not...as i was spending a lot of time here...and well you never know it might come in handy someday...and i was curious to see how the whole process worked from start to finish doing something like that...

my understanding is that you can only get a passport as an argentine citizen...though there are some exceptions indeed...political asylum type exceptions...

el kaliforniano...

I always find citizenship discussions interesting. I can't imagine ever getting a 2nd citizenship lightly given the legal and financial responsibilities it entails. What made you decide to go that route vs residency?

And I'm still not understanding your comments about the dates?:confused:

el kaliforniano... said:
i have to go back to registro civil to get my dni argentino…

and you happen to look down...and you spot the date…and its the same on all three documents…the twenty-eighth of december…2010…and you think to yourself…NO NO NO…this cant be…or can it?

Your DNI will also bear this date. Just as mine has the same date my residenca precaria was granted in a prior year.

I'm sure those who followed the thread about foreigners seeking citizenship in Argentina would be interested in knowing how you actually applied for and received Argentine citizenship, especially since I don't think a single foreigner indicated they had applied for or received Argentine citizenship in that (lengthly and attorney dominated) thread. How does decreto 1169 grant citizenship "rights" to foreigners in Argentina? Is this the same decreto that allowed foreigners who were here prior to 2004 to apply for permanent residency?

Back