Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaz said:
Hi all

I would be extremely grateful if someone could give me a step-by-step guide of how to get citizenship.

I have been here illegally for six years with my two children, 17 and 20. I am British, I own a house and a car, one of my children are studying here and the other is waiting to enter uni.

Karen, perhaps the best option is that you apply for citizenship. Once you are Argentine your Son and Daughter don´t need to go through the Court process because they become Argentinians automatically. This is going to be slower for them but for free. They are not going to be able to work en blanco or to have a driver license but they can study at University with no issues.

They just have to go to Registro Civil with your certified copy of your carta de ciudadanía and their birth certificate and they just apply for an Argentine DNI. It might be a little difficult for them (at Registro Civil) to understand it because the law said "native" but SC asserted that distinctions among Argentinians are discriminative. In the worst possible scenario an amparo (class action) might be needed but this is fast, simple and inexpensive.

Regarding traveling abroad, if they deny your re entry at Ezeiza, it can be solved with an habeas corpus but, after that, you are going to need to regularize your legal situation (citizenship or legal residency) because the DNM is going to be aware that you exist. Normally there should´n be issues regarding to re-entry. However, its up to political mood and the immigration agents have wide freedom to decide to enforce if they feel ultra nationalist that day.

Regards

Neyfirmando.jpg

Neyjura.jpg

:D

I have been to the juzgada federal today in Moron, but they told me they don't have anything to do with sorting out these issues. So my boyfriend has rung the Interior Minister which were very friendly and helpful to him, but told him we need to go to Immigrations, so it's like back to square one, back to immigrations, but someone told me in an earlier post that it is not wise to go there as they may well deport me. There seems to be so much conflicting advice on this, and all very good advice, but when I actually put it into action, I don't get anywhere.

Also Ex-Patriado, the lawyer I went to see didn't ask for the money upfront, I think I should make that clear, he wanted 50%, but even that kind of money, I just do not have.

Even the paperwork seems to me to be so confusing, regarding the birth certificate, I had a birth certificate with an apostle sent over from the UK last year, but I can't get whatever I need from the Embassy in London, as I am here now, so I don't even know how to cross that hurdle. Also regarding my income, I am an online freelance transcriber, for companies in the UK, people in the US, Canada, Australia and I get paid via prepaid debit cards and withdraw from the ATMs, so to me that is another problem, on how to prove my income, although I have lived here independently for six years and survived on my own income. The only thing I could possibly do regarding this is print off the online statements but do not know if this would suffice.

Anyone any further advice I would be grateful as to where to go from here.

Karen

Bajo_cero2 said:
If he was born in argentina, then you are argentine and you just need to go tothr registro civil of your neiborhoodwith his birth certificate, yours and you just apply for your dni. If you are abroad, you do the same at the consulate.
If he got the citizenship, it is the same but perhaps the employeds of the registro civil don't understand it. Then it has to be done at Court but it take 1 or 2 weeks.
You mom has to do the whole procedure and she needs to be living in Argentina. Regards
Are you sure man ? Because my father is foriegn and he will get his nationality next week .. And now all the family in buenos aires ?? .... Cheers

Fadi said:
Are you sure man ? Because my father is foriegn and he will get his nationality next week .. And now all the family in buenos aires ?? .... Cheers

Yes. You don´t need a lawyer.

I am currently married to an Argentine and working on getting residency (I sent in my request for the FBI report).

I'm currently on a tourist visa, and it's already been extended once by the immigrations office.

What is the best course of action to take to renew my tourist visa? Should I let it run out? Is there anything I can show to let the immigrations officer see I'm working on my residency so I don't have to pay the fine when I leave back to the states in about 6 weeks?

tmorgan175 said:
I am currently married to an Argentine and working on getting residency (I sent in my request for the FBI report).

I'm currently on a tourist visa, and it's already been extended once by the immigrations office.

What is the best course of action to take to renew my tourist visa? Should I let it run out? Is there anything I can show to let the immigrations officer see I'm working on my residency so I don't have to pay the fine when I leave back to the states in about 6 weeks?

I don't think there is anything. Especially if you're leaving Argentina. But I could be wrong.

After you've applied for residency, you can get a temporary DNI number while you wait for your actual DNI to arrive (takes anywhere from 4 months to an eternity). But that might not help in your case where you haven't even applied for it yet.

By the way, if you're married to an Argentine, you are already eligible to apply for citizenship. And contrary to popular belief, you do not lose your US citizenship if you take on another citizenship.

Yes, I do understand that this thread is about Argentine citizenship. But I had a question related to this vis -a - vis as to the advantages of holding Argentine citizenship.

Does Argentine citizenship ( not by BIRTH) but via all what we have been discussing on this thread, entitle one to legally work in Brazil or Chile?

I have some sub questions pertaining to this. It will be awesome if we could discuss answers to these basis your experience.

1. If one is a Argentine citizen by naturalization ..and enters Brazil ( visa free basis the citizenship)...can he/she perform work in Brazil? or at least short term work for few days. Of course implications of taxes etc set in. But my query is about short term work lasting 2-4 days.

2. If one is a Argentine citizen citizen by naturalization, can one apply for permanent residency in Brazil/Chile?

My doubts came from reading some conflicting articles on the internet.

aa) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations

Quote "Eligible citizens of the Mercosur member countries (Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay) and two Mercosur "associated countries" (Chile and Bolivia) can now apply for a special two-year temporary residency program in Brazil using a simplified application process. The new program was introduced by a government decree published on 8 October 2009, but administrative delays prevented the new program from being implemented until now.
Under the new program, natural-born citizens of these countries, or individuals who have held citizenship in these countries for at ""least five years"", plus their legal dependents (regardless of nationality), may obtain temporary residency status in Brazil that will remain valid for two years. The temporary residency program is not linked to a specific employer, and from an immigration perspective, these residents are eligible to work for any employer in Brazil. After the first two years, the candidate is eligible for permanent residency." unquote

bb) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercosur

Quote "The commitment by the member states to make the necessary adjustments to their laws in pertinent areas to allow for the strengthening of the integration process. The Asunción Treaty is based on the doctrine of the reciprocal rights and obligations of the member states. Mercosur initially targeted free-trade zones, then customunification, and finally a common market. The common market will allow (in addition to customs unification) the"" free movement of manpower"" and capital across the member nations, and depends the grating of equal rights and duties to all member countries. " unquote

It looks like you answered your own question. Mercosur citizens in Brazil can get a special visa that lets them work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back