Argentine Citizenship Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend did it without any attorney. The tramite is very straightforward (SO much easier than residency through Migraciones) and took 11 months from beginning to end. The secret is to go in about every six weeks to check on the progress.

Hi SteveInBsAs, Pretty sure you were on the road to becoming a citizen a couple of years ago. How has that gone?

I sent him (steve in bA) a private mail asking the same question. Yet to get a reply. This was 3 months ago.

My friend did it without any attorney. The tramite is very straightforward (SO much easier than residency through Migraciones) and took 11 months from beginning to end. The secret is to go in about every six weeks to check on the progress.

Those "status" days are Tuesday and Friday at the Secretary's office of the assigned federal judge to your case at Libertad 731 and Tucuman (across the street from the plaza of Teatro Colon) between the hours of 7:30am and 12:30pm. Tell the clerk behind the desk your case number and ask to see the file. New documents are added chronologically behind previous ones filed.

I went yesterday to read my entire file from start to finish.

Those "status" days are Tuesday and Friday at the Secretary's office of the assigned federal judge to your case at Libertad 731 and Tucuman (across the street from the plaza of Teatro Colon) between the hours of 7:30am and 12:30pm. Tell the clerk behind the desk your case number and ask to see the file. New documents are added chronologically behind previous ones filed.

I went yesterday to read my entire file from start to finish.

Exactly. I think it's very important to stress again that unless you have some complicated scenario an attorney is absolutely unnecessary.

What are the chances of citizenship if you can't speak Spanish or speak very little, that is the only hurdle in my case. Interview and written test is hard? Do they give us material for test and interview forehand?

Exactly. I think it's very important to stress again that unless you have some complicated scenario an attorney is absolutely unnecessary.

As I have a case myself going, I have to disagree. The woman assigned to my case is a nightmare. She says originals aren't originals, an apostille isn't an apostille, refuses to file my paperwork and goes into a tirade about 'do you know how your country treats us?' everytime I go there to justify not following procedure.

As I have a case myself going, I have to disagree. The woman assigned to my case is a nightmare. She says originals aren't originals, an apostille isn't an apostille, refuses to file my paperwork and goes into a tirade about 'do you know how your country treats us?' everytime I go there to justify not following procedure.

Well, now you have a complicated case and need a lawyer! ;)

She has a good point though with how "your country" treats them. I talked to somebody working for the tourist police here, who was held in some sort of deportation camp in the US and then later deported back to Argentina. I felt really sorry for him after hearing the complete horror story and how they treated him in the deportation camp ...

If I was the one applying for my Argentine citizenship, I will think twice before relying on a non-professional assitance to start the _tramites_by myself alone..It may get in the hand of a temperamental judge or whomever that sees your straight forward application as a non bona-fide one. Then you have to hire an attorney to try untangle the mess created by not starting with the help of a professional. But every case is different and one can get lucky, who knows the outcome in the moody and non-standard following latin guvnmnt!..So perhaps in order to save a chunk of an attorney's fee, one might apply by amateur way and if encountered a problem, then seek advise?

What are the chances of citizenship if you can't speak Spanish or speak very little, that is the only hurdle in my case. Interview and written test is hard? Do they give us material for test and interview forehand?

There is no material. It depends on the judge's secretary what they want to ask you. They can ask you anything from writing down a sentence to a full discussion on something.

If you don't speak Spanish or speak very little then I would either forget about it or hire a lawyer, otherwise your chances of getting citizenship are pretty close to zero.

If you don't speak Spanish then Bajo_cero2 is your best (or only) bet. Most every other lawyer will tell you to learn Spanish and even then they won't guarantee you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back