Argentine passport holders: a question about US visas

Bajo_cero2 said:
I insist, when you renewal the argentine passport, they keep your old one. So, you should say that you lost it or you loose your visa.
In my case, I renewal at the consulate abroad and then you have extra 10 years with the same passport. Regards

Really? Pretty much anywhere they just void your old passport and give it back

Telling your passport is lost / stolen it means it gets blacklisted

i asked that question when i picked up the new visa for entering Argentina they said to either take out the page of the old passport or bring the old passport when you come into the country again.. i have visas with all four countries of south america requiring same. hope this helps you

splaying said:
i asked that question when i picked up the new visa for entering Argentina they said to either take out the page of the old passport or bring the old passport when you come into the country again.. i have visas with all four countries of south america requiring same. hope this helps you

If I understand correctly, the question isn't about the visa for entering Argentina. It's about the visa for entering the USA...and if "they" keep the old passport (as BC2 posted), what does an Argentine passport holder have to do to prove they still have a vaild visa to enter the USA...if not contact the US embassy (as alex posted)?

I'm afraid this is all very confusing. I was hoping to hear from ARGENTINE passport holders who have a TEN YEAR VISA to enter the US. My understanding is that the Argentine government KEEPS the old passport (unlike the US govt) when they give you a NEW passport. If so, WHAT does the Argentine passport holder do about the visa in the expired passport? The passport expired but not the visa. ANYONE out there who has had this problem? COULD I HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE FIRST HAND INFORMATION? Speculation doesn't help. This is an important issue. Thanks.

elclandestino said:
Really? Pretty much anywhere they just void your old passport and give it back.

Since when is Argentina anything like pretty much anywhere? :p

PS: Thanks for the compliment about my sense of humor in a recently deleted thread.;)

chris said:
I'm afraid this is all very confusing. I was hoping to hear from ARGENTINE passport holders who have a TEN YEAR VISA to enter the US. My understanding is that the Argentine government KEEPS the old passport (unlike the US govt) when they give you a NEW passport. If so, WHAT does the Argentine passport holder do about the visa in the expired passport? The passport expired but not the visa. ANYONE out there who has had this problem? COULD I HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE FIRST HAND INFORMATION? Speculation doesn't help. This is an important issue. Thanks.

You carry both passports. When you renew your passport, you have to tell them you don't have the old one and that's it, you keep it. Then, at immigration in the US, you show them both passports.
This is not speculation, my mother's done it several times.

My Argentine boyfriend was given back his annulled Argentine passport along with his new passport because his annulled passport has his Canadian multiple entry visa in it which is still valid.

So, the passport authorities in Argentina do give back the old passport when required.

It was not necessary to lie about " not having the old one ".

My dad applied for a new Arg passport without being expired (was still good for 2 more months) he kept his old passport and was given a new one, the old passport now expired is in his posession, useless.. not even voided

In order to travel to the US all airline companies know the rule, you must have a valid passport and a valid visa or form of permit to entry, greencard, citizenship etc.. call American Airlines if you want to call the embassy, I think you are being hard on yourself and dealing with too many doubts

for sure once you enter the US the INS will void your VISA on the old passport, VISA for 10 years does not mean it can't be voided at any given moment at ant point of entry

canadien said:
My Argentine boyfriend was given back his annulled Argentine passport along with his new passport because his annulled passport has his Canadian multiple entry visa in it which is still valid.

So, the passport authorities in Argentina do give back the old passport when required.

It was not necessary to lie about " not having the old one ".

Right on spot

Also, lying about your old passport status could be dangerous

Don't forget, you have to shoe the passport with a US visa also in argentina, before boarding the plane

chris said:

el tema es que ahora lo hace el registro civil. Mientras lo hacia la policia era como te dije, la unica manera de no tener que entregar el pasaporte viejo era firmando una declaracion de perdida o hurto. Saludos

Back