Argentine Passport Renewal Overseas

lindos66

Registered
Hi,
My wife has been told that the ONLY way to renew her now expired machine readable passport is to go to Argentina to do it - under no circumstances can it be renewed at any Consulate outside Argentina. This strikes me as absolutely incredible. Does anyone have any input or recent experience with this ?

Surely there must be some way to deal with this instead of a flight half way round the world (we are in Indonesia) to BA to get this done.

Ate..

Steve

Hi There,

Since 2005, the Government issued a new rule through which Argentine consulates can renew a machine readable passport by putting a stamp in a free page of it. The renewal lasts 5 years.

I did it myself (live in the UK). However, some countries may give you a hard time if you show this as the machine readable page will still show the old expiring date. Still, I was able to explain this to the immigration officer and it was ok but I ended up getting a new one on a recent visit back home.

So I would advise you that she can still get around with the renewal from the consulate but it would probably be good that she gets a new passport when she returns to Argentina for a visit. It takes only 5 business days but make sure she has done the change of address (cambio de domicilio) in her DNI, this is the only way they will give you a passport in 5 business days as it is the proof you live abroad. You can do the cambio de domicilio at any Argentine consulate showing a few utility bills.

For more info you can read on the site of the Consulate in London, as this applies to any consulate: http://www.clond.mrecic.gov.ar/content/aranceles-de-tramitaciones-más-frecuentes

Cheers,

L

i did it too in Sweden. You just have to flag the page and tell the agent in advance about the renewal. No big deal.

leanuk said:
It takes only 5 business days but make sure she has done the change of address (cambio de domicilio) in her DNI, this is the only way they will give you a passport in 5 business days as it is the proof you live abroad. You can do the cambio de domicilio at any Argentine consulate showing a few utility bills.

For more info you can read on the site of the Consulate in London, as this applies to any consulate: http://www.clond.mrecic.gov.ar/content/aranceles-de-tramitaciones-más-frecuentes

Cheers,

L

How long the does the issue of Argentine passport takes? Mr Bajo cero wrote few days ago on the forum, it takes 1 day? You say " 5 days with conditions?" what is the average time? what all documents are required when requesting for a Argentine passport?

According to the website of the Interior Ministry, it takes 15 days to get a passport or 2 days if you do it express and pay a fee of 500AR$ on top of the 400AR$ that the passport now costs. But this is only in the case you want to get a new passport. It still applies that if you live abroad, they will give it to you in 5 days instead of 15, provided your DNI shows your foreign address.

The only necessary document to get the passport is your DNI. You can read all this here:

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/pasaporte/preguntas.php

Cheers,

L

@Leanuk,

Thanks. excellent info.

What about the procedure/time frame for obtaining the Mercosur travel id card which is other than the DNI.

Hello all,

Few days ago I went to immigration office to extend my tourist visa. My first 3 months will be finished in a week. But they told me I have to come 5 days later because they asked information to Interpol.:confused:Interpol??? It sounds not ok.

Is that a regular procedure? My records are fine I mean I dont have any police record or something like that. I really dont understand why they did this.

Do you have any idea?:)

The last time I did this I had priority for being an argie living overseas and got my passport done in a few business days

But this was back in 2003 when passports were still issued by the police

Back