Argentine Women Are All...

HyphensGalore

Registered
Argentinian Women Are All... difficult for me to get to know beyond the "Big 3" questions. Your help is much appreciated.

Hi guys I'm 31, new to BA from Chicago, USA (home of Obama!) and here on extended break living in Palermo. I hope that those of you cooped up in front of a computer can help me out with this question about Argentine women.

I've heard all sorts of things said about Argentine women some good some bad, but everyone agrees that meeting Argentine women and getting an Argentine girlfriend is THE BEST way for a guy to learn Spanish and local culture.

I have a decent group of Expat friends and we've all gone out to a few fun bars (Congo, Carnal, Unico, Shamrock, etc) and some loud banging clubs (Niceto Vega, Museo, etc).

I can start up conversations easily in bars yet the club thing here seems incredibly agressive and puts me off.

I have no trouble meeting beautiful intelligent fun expat women here or in the USA and the Argentine women here seem to think I'm cute - but for some reason as soon as I open my mouth they launch into questions and we rarely get past the Big 3...

1. Where are you from? - Chicago
2. How old are you? - 31
3. Why are you in Buenos Aires? - To see the city and travel, learn Spanish, etc.

Then they talk amongst themselves in Spanish and our conversation pretty much dies.

So long story long, does anybody have any advice on how to meet a quality girlfriend in Buenos Aires?

Suggestions on places to go? Places where Argentine women speak both Spanish and English past "The Big 3"?

Any advice on things to say that work beyond "The Big 3"?

Can any guys (or girls) share any advice or success stories on meeting quality Argentine girlfriends?

Muchas gracias in advance for your suggestions.

In my experience bars are never the easiest place to meet a girlfriend/boyfriend be it in North America or Argentina. Also women here are notoriously difficult, and they will say No to going out the first few times you call! Prepare for a bit of a mind-f*&$ with the games!

The one thing I can say is that Porteños LOVE their organised activities. I've never lived anywhere else where people are so huge into classes. I'm talking everything from interpretive dance to rollerblading! They have classes for ALL of it! Everyone in town has a hobby and they go to classes or groups for it. So I'd recommend you do the same!

I go biking in Plaza Holanda (Rosedal) pretty much every evening and I've seen people doing all sorts of activities:

Tai Chi and Kung Fu (mondays), mix of men and women

Rollerblading (who would've thought you need classes? But every time I go to the park there's more and more people taking classes -- and it's pretty much 90% women ;) -- they seem to have classes every night in the park.

Roller Hockey -- there's a bunch of guys that play roller hockey that coincidentally hang out right beside the girls learning to do their fancy rollerblade obstacles...

Running -- there's a million and one different running groups and there's a lot of women in them.

There's a load of salsa places around town -- there's always way more women then men, and the majority of men are older so believe me the women will all be eager to dance with the foreigner, lol.

Not into sports? There's quite a few different wine tasting groups in town -- there's a meeting next week for one of them, usually a mix of locals and foreigners -- I think it should be listed on Fbook under Argentine Wine Tasting group -- otherwise look on the BANewcomers list.

The wine groups are actually a great place to meet people as convesation might start out a bit shy but as the wine flows the volume rises, and with 3 or 4 hours of conversation you probably could have a good shot of meeting some friends (who then have other friends etc etc)

This is summer, there's a tonne of free activities in the parks etc, look up the BA govt website for more info.

ClubEuropeo has activities, they're doing a big party at the end of the month, there will be a tonne of women there.

Otherwise you've just got to go for it -- one of my friends here met his girlfriend just talking to her while they were crossing the street, he came up with some poor lost tourist line. It obviously worked, they're getting married next year! (It hasn't helped his spanish at all though, they consistently speak in English!)

Failing that, I know some single girls that are sick of Argentine guys and would love to meet a foreigner -- shall I introduce you?

HyphensGalore said:
I've heard all sorts of things said about Argentine women some good some bad, but everyone agrees that meeting Argentine women and getting an Argentine girlfriend is THE BEST way for a guy to learn Spanish and local culture.

I have a decent group of Expat friends and we've all gone out to a few fun bars (Congo, Carnal, Unico, Shamrock, etc) and some loud banging clubs (Niceto Vega, Museo, etc).

I have no trouble meeting beautiful intelligent fun expat women here or in the USA and the Argentine women here seem to think I'm cute - but for some reason as soon as I open my mouth they launch into questions and we rarely get past the Big 3...

2. How old are you? - 31
3. Why are you in Buenos Aires? - To see the city and travel, learn Spanish, etc.

I am an Argentine girl married to an American. It is possible that you are putting these girls off when you say that you are here to travel and learn the language ( this means for them there is no chances with you in the long term ) I suggest you take some class as Syngirl suggested or maybe just stop looking ( as they say, the less you look for a date, the more you get them! )
nik

Yes Nikad's right -- most people (foreign or local alike) who are here for any length of time hear the "I'm here for 3 mos / 6mos" line and in their head they're already crossing you off the list, even if it's just about friendship (sorry but it's the brutal truth and it sounds rather snobbish, but once you've set down some roots it gets to the point where you can't be bothered with people just passing through!)

It's a little different on the guy's end though -- they hear the "3 - 6 mos" from a girl and think "YES! That's what I want" jaja!! I know my Argentine always jokes that he never thought I'd stick around so long, but here we are 3 years later and getting married at the end of the year.

the girls have summed things up well. argentine girls are looking for someone commited (i am married to one).
but be prepared to play their games.

a friend of mine found a nice girl in a tango class, so again the girls who wrote above are right.

Another suggestion - avoid the well-known bars where tourists are known to frequent. you are more of a curiosity to a girl who does not speak english and has not had much contact with foreigners. basically, get out of palermo. you can approach any girl on the street here for whatever reason, "hi, i want to practice my spanish" as ridiculous as it may seem can be enough to strike up a conversation.

living here because you think the argentine way of life is better is a good way to go - dont just flatter the girl (very weight consious and image consious) flatter THE COUNTRY.

i could go on and on, my wife fascinates me completely, but as beautiful and as enticing as these girls are, there are the obvious culture boundries - and to cross them is the key...

Reactions: tez
HyphensGalore said:
Argentinian Women Are All... difficult for me to get to know beyond the "Big 3" questions...the Argentine women here seem to think I'm cute - but for some reason as soon as I open my mouth they launch into questions and we rarely get past the Big 3...

2. How old are you? - 31

Then they talk amongst themselves in Spanish and our conversation pretty much dies.

Any advice on things to say that work beyond "The Big 3"?

Your problem is simple, at least as far as the Argentine women are concerned.

You don't have (and show no inclination to get) "el documento" (the DNI).

In other words, you aren't here to stay and there is no reason for them to even think of taking you home to meet the family (as if they would accept a foreigner in the first place).

thebookcellar was right about flattering the country. I came here after five years in Mexico and when I tell Argentines how much better Argentina is than Mexico, they eat it up!

It's also true.

I'm an American pratically married to an Argentine. Here's the best advise I have: groups are the way to go...especially family (cousins go a long way in this culture). You especially need to have the "safe" factor because you are a foreigner.
Another slam dunker is Tango. A lot of women dance tango just to meet men, and sometimes specifically foriegn men. With the sudden popularity and influx of foreigners dancing tango, you'll feel comfortable too I think in the surroundings. Check out Practica X.
Good luck! I think Argentine woman are incredible beautiful and feminine. However the "histerica" side to them must be a drag for you guys. Oh another tip: don't be a typical American and pour your own wine first. Pick up on these chivalrous things from the Argie guys....otherwise these woman will snicker at you, or silently forgive you if they're nice!

mllefly said:
...don't be a typical american and pour your own wine first...

Carve this one in stone!!!!!!!!!

And refill hers whenever possible...even (especially) if your glass is still full.

If you should be so lucky, you devil.

And don't be timid. Kiss her long before you think it's appropriate!

It will save you a lot of time...and anxiety!

If you grab a cheek when you do, you might get slapped in the face.

Then again, you might get lucky.

At least slide you hands down her hips (if you are already touching, it's probably OK).

If you have the courage, the odds are in your favor.

(They are looking for courage.)

Just be the man (you have always wanted to be).

It works here.

Trust me.

Back