Argentine Women Are All...

nikad said:
I was j/k, there are some women, I guess like me, that appreciate something different :) Still, I had to get my hubby to open the doors for me, and pour the wine **sigh**

That (something different) I am, nikki, that I am. (I have always opened the doors.....for many decades and with no regrets).

Well, I don't know anything about Argentine women. But I'll add my 2 pesos:

What are YOU asking the girls? You can't expect that they do all the inquiring, right? You have to come up with some interesting question to get them talking. If you let them get to their 3 questions then as you say the conversation is over. Take in interest in them and not in an anthropological study kind of way! :) Let them talk & actually listen to what they have to say. Then take your cue from what they say to ask more questions about them, etc.

I'm found that Argentinians ask quite serious & probing questions. Much more than I'm used to. At first it took me aback, but now I find that it leads to interesting discussions.

Okay so here's what I've learned so far...

Do organized activities - but where/how to find them ? Facebook, sure... but what groups are good to look at?

Also what about Friday/Saturday nights? Where are good places to meet local women? Where are places where men have successfully met women?

I've also learned to suggest to try to avoid the "The Big 3" that I'm staying longer term and seek the DNI. No problemo there. Are there any juicy topics that women like to talk about with guys instead of the Big 3?

I've also learned to be chill with meeting families, no problemo there. Pour wine, duh no problem there.

Also seek to make out waaaaay earlier than normal - makes sense I'm gutsy enough to try that..... but how can a guy successfully separate local women from their group.

It's easy to get US girls to take a break from their group but man it seems like the locals are attached to their girlfriends like alien super glue.

So here are the key questions...

1) Any links to good Facebook groups to meet locals?

2) What are the names of places on Fri/Sat night to meet locals?

3) Any fun juicy/scandalous topics to talk about with women instead of the Big 3?

4) How to separate girls from their group?

Thanks in advance, this is fun!

HyphensGalore said:
It's easy to get US girls to take a break from their group but man it seems like the locals are attached to their girlfriends like alien super glue.

There's almost no way a local girl is going to split off from her group and go anywhere with you the first night.

Whatever happened to dating? If you do manage to get a few minutes alone with an Argentine girl you'd like to "know" better, ask her to have dinner with you the next night. If she says yes you should at least get a phone number. If she only agrees to meet you somewhere you may get stood up.

If you don't want to play the dating game, BA is full of beautiful young women who are available by the hour (with no doubts about the outcome).

I totally agree with Nikad - I am also an Argie living with my American boyfriend here, and from every Argentine friend of mine I’ve spoken to, I can tell you: telling them that you’re here for a fixed amount of time (with no ties to this land and without knowing if you’ll come back again soon) is a total turnoff for most of them.

Another thing to take into account is that dating relationships here start sort of in a different way than in the us: from what I know, in the US it’s more like “hey, we like each other –as “friends”-, let’s do stuff together and see if, over time, we like each other for more than that!”. Here, just meeting new people from the opposite sex in a new town for fun (and if you like them more, maybe dating) is not something that most Argentine woman are accustomed to or can even think of. As most people don’t really make new friends from the opposite sex after a certain age (childhood or high-school), I’d argue that more or less every approach you make to a woman in her 20’s/30’s is regarded as a sexual/dating approach from you! Also, most people don’t move around towns, so most times they don’t have a completely new social group that they made in the last few years.
For all this, the mind of an Argentine woman may be in other places when you’re having your first couple of conversations with them, and this can change the whole perspective of the first couple of conversations you have with them.

Also, for this same no-friendship between men & women issue, Argentines tend to not go out in groups of friends from different sexes (except if they know each other from childhood, or if something else bonds them –like, if they’re coworkers-). So, if you try to go out with them and her friends, with a group of your friends, right after you meet them, they totally don’t get the message that you’re trying to date them or flirt with them. It can be even worse if you only invite her alone (and not her friends) to the group get-together: she may think you’re too serious with her, and she might even freak out! Introducing your date alone to friends is something that an Argie does only after a couple of dates, when the relationships get more serious, so introducing her to friends so soon will get her confused. Conclusion: no friends involved in the first couple of dates is better!

I’d think of dating in Argentina as a more “traditional” way of dating. The first few times you’re talking to her she might be thinking of you as a prospective boyfriend (maybe far in the future, but still) you might want something serious, and any further attitude that contradicts this view may get them confused.
So my suggestion would be to try to meet girls who are looking for foreigners (in conversation clubs, in hostels, etc), that are more open to other dating styles; or to act having in mind the Argentine could-we-be-serious attitude.

Hope this was useful!

steveinbsas said:
If you don't want to play the dating game, BA is full of beautiful young women who are available by the hour (with no doubts about the outcome).

All you need is a little peso-nality

Celia is RIGHT ON about everything

I can tell you, most Argentines I know, women and men, have met their boy/girlfriends through a long chain of friends (friend of a friend of a friend of their cousin etc) -- they tend not to date strangers. A good tactic is probably not to try and meet women at all. It's to meet Argentine guys. Go to the futbol clubs and start hanging out, go play roller-hockey in the park etc. Meet other guys and you'll meet women through them.

HOWEVER, you've got the "silly foreigner" card to play -- in that you can use your "I'm lost, don't speak much spanish" to your advantage in approaching women in places you might not think of for normal pick-ups -- ie the supermarket etc. Bars are really not great places for something more serious than an all-night make out session. Women go out in groups here, as do the guys, and if they're in the bar it's for a pick-up, not really a relationship. I know the odd guy here and there that has met his girlfriend in a bar, but for the most part they meet through friends.

The politics of relationships here are pretty interesting to negotiate. There's a lot of slow-boil time. Even if you meet a girl in a bar and make-out with her that night and get her phone number, be prepared that when you call her a few days later to ask her out you'll get the cold shoulder. Then if you get her to go out with you, be prepared for the tone of the date to be fairly different than the chemistry you felt on the dance floor at the After Office! The After Office make-out was her letting go and having fun, now that you're on a date she's going to analyse you a bit more.

The first few dates may end in some long make out sessions. Really long. Argentines love to kiss. More kissing than when you were in 8th grade. So much kissing you feel like your jaw will fall off. Hours upon hours of kissing, and you'll start wondering "what the hell?? is this going anywhere??" and then the kissing will go on and on and on...

I love the wine glass advice. In France a woman doesn't serve herself the wine, it's considered very gross. Here I don't know if it's so much of a rule, but last week I was at a party -- I'll write about that in a moment for the woman that was asking about guys -- and it was myself, the foreign host and a bunch of locals. He passed a bottle of wine to me and told me to pour myself a glass. I felt so embarassed to be pouring it, especially as everyone looked toward me while I did it... so don't leave your girl having to ask for more wine, and don't leave her with an empty glass. Better to have her say no she doesn't want any more than for her o have to be embarrassed to ask for some.

Will discuss more politics for the other poster in a moment!

We cannot generalize the exceptions. Its easy and difficult to befriend a good pertena depending how you approach her. be a little generous and tell her you dont dont want to get laid ,,just talk and want to know about her..be frank and open....humour is a good tact to induce her...its easy to get her but difficult to get away from her then.....

HyphensGalore said:
Argentinian Women Are All... difficult for me to get to know beyond the "Big 3" questions. Your help is much appreciated.

Hi guys I'm 31, new to BA from Chicago, USA (home of Obama!) and here on extended break living in Palermo. I hope that those of you cooped up in front of a computer can help me out with this question about Argentine women.

I've heard all sorts of things said about Argentine women some good some bad, but everyone agrees that meeting Argentine women and getting an Argentine girlfriend is THE BEST way for a guy to learn Spanish and local culture.

I have a decent group of Expat friends and we've all gone out to a few fun bars (Congo, Carnal, Unico, Shamrock, etc) and some loud banging clubs (Niceto Vega, Museo, etc).

I can start up conversations easily in bars yet the club thing here seems incredibly agressive and puts me off.

I have no trouble meeting beautiful intelligent fun expat women here or in the USA and the Argentine women here seem to think I'm cute - but for some reason as soon as I open my mouth they launch into questions and we rarely get past the Big 3...

1. Where are you from? - Chicago
2. How old are you? - 31
3. Why are you in Buenos Aires? - To see the city and travel, learn Spanish, etc.

Then they talk amongst themselves in Spanish and our conversation pretty much dies.

So long story long, does anybody have any advice on how to meet a quality girlfriend in Buenos Aires?

Suggestions on places to go? Places where Argentine women speak both Spanish and English past "The Big 3"?

Any advice on things to say that work beyond "The Big 3"?

Can any guys (or girls) share any advice or success stories on meeting quality Argentine girlfriends?

Muchas gracias in advance for your suggestions.

My friend
you said it all...

check this out.
-----> "but for some reason as soon as I open my mouth they launch into questions and we rarely get past the Big 3...

1. Where are you from? - Chicago
2. How old are you? - 31
3. Why are you in Buenos Aires? - To see the city and travel, learn Spanish, etc.

Then they talk amongst themselves in Spanish and our conversation pretty much dies.........

thats argentinian girl. SHE launch into question.. and SHE talk in spanish to their friends... thats it.

CONTROL
they love to control the situation everywhere and every time.
they make " the dificil" but inside they are dying to meet people!
its complex.. but, the only way to meet here is to control the situation..
you first allways..! if you show some kind of interest you are dead!
its f!@#$!ing crazy , but thats the way they work...
its to long to explain it
they think that be histeric its nice and allways work... and live a f!@#$ life full of represion and lots of problem to them self...
i can tell you lots of things .. ! Lol

good luck!

In talking with my female friends (Argentine and non) we all agree that one of the most ridiculous things about Argentina is how much men "appreciate" us on a daily basis. Men stopping their cars at the bus stop to offer us rides, cat calling us, violating our personal space. It's a little overwhelmingly uncalled for and puts us on constant guard. Any hint of being hit on turns us off. So, if you want to meet women here, or anywhere for that matter, really MEET them. Ask US questions. Don't leave it up to us to ask you the Big 3. It is your responsibility to help keep the conversation going as well. If you're interested in more than just bedding us, we'll know, and are more willing to chat.

Back