Argentinian Wines

One of the best wines I've had is Desierto. They produce two Malbecs, one valued around $100 pesos and the other around $200. This particular wine comes from La Pampa and has beat all the Mendoza wines I've tried. I don't know if the difference is in the soil or if it's because the owner is from California :)

For a decent, cheap wine, I would second Dada--you can find this one in practically all the chinos. Excellent taste for between $40-60.

Desierto you can't find in supermarkets (haven't seen the red Dada in supers either--just chinos), and in general I would avoid going to supermarkets for high quality wines - as they sell the wines from the largest producers for mass consumption. Go to a specialty wine shop for the good stuff.

Is Pain Et Vin (Calle Gorriti in PS) still open? We used to buy Desierto there -

Just tried Dada 1, and liked it very much. Opinions on 1 vs 2 or 3? Until we were in the wine store, didn't realize they had 3 different blends.

Is Pain Et Vin (Calle Gorriti in PS) still open? We used to buy Desierto there -

Yup - they also have probably the best bread in BA. The olive bread especially is awesome, but all their bread is great. Plus they are super nice.

I've found some champagnes here to be decent and very affordable. Chandon and Mumm make good local varieties and you can get a bottle for 100 or so.

I've found some champagnes here to be decent and very affordable. Chandon and Mumm make good local varieties and you can get a bottle for 100 or so.

Champagne is horribly expensive in Argentina. Locally produced sparkling wines, however, are often quite good and affordable. :rolleyes:

There's champagne from Champagne, and there's sparkling wine made in the style of champagne. As in, the wine is blended and then yeast and sugar are added, and there is a secondary fermentation in the bottle forcing CO2 into the wine. I don't think sparkling wine made with other methods is really ever as good as this style. They tend to have crappier mouthfeel (to me), probably due to the lack of lees contact that you do get in champagne (or champagne style).

Champagne is horribly expensive in Argentina. Locally produced sparkling wines, however, are often quite good and affordable. :rolleyes:

Please give info on good local varieties of cava or champagne besides the ones I mentioned...

Please give info on good local varieties of cava or champagne besides the ones I mentioned...

Cava is from Spain - the only one I've seen in BsAs is Segura Viudas, which is quite good. Champagne, as discussed, is ridiculously expensive.

Some of the best Argentino sparkling wines are Baron B, Rosell Boher, Casa Boher, and Trumpeter rosé. It's true that Mumm and Chandon from Argentina are okay, but the aforementioned are better.

Casa Boher is a personal favorite, and I drink a LOT of Champagne (the real stuff). Always look for Brut or Extra Brut, and make sure it says Methode Champenoise or Methode Traditionelle somewhere. This is the method by which Champagne is made, and the technique cannot be matched by other methods.

Cava is from Spain - the only one I've seen in BsAs is Segura Viudas, which is quite good. Champagne, as discussed, is ridiculously expensive.

Some of the best Argentino sparkling wines are Baron B, Rosell Boher, Casa Boher, and Trumpeter rosé. It's true that Mumm and Chandon from Argentina are okay, but the aforementioned are better.

Casa Boher is a personal favorite, and I drink a LOT of Champagne (the real stuff). Always look for Brut or Extra Brut, and make sure it says Methode Champenoise or Methode Traditionelle somewhere. This is the method by which Champagne is made, and the technique cannot be matched by other methods.

Brut in Argentina is not champagne brut. If you looking for champagne brut you'll probably be disappointed by the amount of sugar.

If I'm spending more, I love the dv catena nature. If I'm spending less I thinks the Maria cordeniu are great buys at 60p. Also a fan of Ernesto catenas alma negra brut nature rose

Rosell Boher is outstanding. Down a notch, Casa Boher, Animal. For lesser occasions, Nieto Senetiner brut nature is really good.

Does anyone have favorite still whites -- torrontes or chardonnay in particular -- that are both inexpensive and dry?

Back