Armed Robbery In Palermo 2Am Saturday

thanks for the kind support.To answer this occured in Palermo Hollywood about 2-3 blocks from the bars and restaurants.near paraguay a few blocks from juan b justo...but the taxi attack is quite disturbing and could occur anywhere at any time.

Yeah, it seems like thieves are changing their tactics. Used to be motochorros were real popular, but everyone's getting very cautious when they hear a motorcycle approaching.

Used to be that many coordinated thefts, particularly at night, were being done by somewhat shabby-looking people, making it easier for people to avoid shabby-looking people and not get caught. So they started putting on nice clothes and suits and surprised people. Now people are hesitant to stop and give anyone "the time of day", particularly at night.

Now they are coming up in taxis! I wonder if a taxi driver had his car stolen or hijacked, or if he felt he wasn't making enough money and could join the new "taxichorros" in a "ground floor" opportunity (too many taxi drivers that I don't like, for various reasons,,,heh).

Splattermatter, sorry to hear that you guys got stuck in that and glad to hear no one was physically injured.

Palermo has now been named as the highest crime rate barrio, as I understand. A friend of mine was there a couple of nights ago with a female friend of his and after dinner around Plaza Serano, walking away to go find a bus stop, they realized they were being stalked by a group when one of the lookouts got a little too loud with his whistle signal and my buddy saw the lookout pointing them out to someone. He turned around and went back to the plaza to regroup.

Last night my sister-in-law went out with some friends of hers to celebrate a friend's birthday. They were in Palermo, but I don't remember exactly where she told me they went. One of her friends got her phone stolen as they were walking down the street - a group of supposedly drunk young men stopped to flirt with them, they were getting a bit bold physically, and the girls drove them off. Afterward the one friend realized her phone was missing.

Things are getting worse here as far as stealing goes. I saw one person in this thread blame the "massive immigration", but I rather blame the lack of an economy, corruption and a too-strong willingness to resort to crime rather than suck it up and work harder, as my immigrant family has done; those family members who watch Argentinos enter their places of work looking for a job and get fired a couple of weeks later because they show up late, don't hardly work when they are there, and sometimes don't even show up at all.

Just my perspective...

It's tiring hearing so many portenios constantly blame the Paraguayans and Bolivians, or as they call them boliguayos o negros de mierda, for the increase in the crime rate. That's the same thing many North Americans think about African Americans as being the most likely to rob a store or steal your car. People of all races and all classes steal for whatever that reason may be.

It's tiring hearing so many portenios constantly blame the Paraguayans and Bolivians, or as they call them boliguayos o negros de mierda, for the increase in the crime rate. That's the same thing many North Americans think about African Americans as being the most likely to rob a store or steal your car. People of all races and all classes steal for whatever that reason may be.

Are you opening the door to a discussion of racial prejudice in the USA? :eek:

No, just throwing the N and M words in the discussion to try and shame the person who rightly blamed urban overpopulation for the ongoing crime wave

Yeah, it seems like thieves are changing their tactics. Used to be motochorros were real popular, but everyone's getting very cautious when they hear a motorcycle approaching.

Used to be that many coordinated thefts, particularly at night, were being done by somewhat shabby-looking people, making it easier for people to avoid shabby-looking people and not get caught. So they started putting on nice clothes and suits and surprised people. Now people are hesitant to stop and give anyone "the time of day", particularly at night.

Now they are coming up in taxis! I wonder if a taxi driver had his car stolen or hijacked, or if he felt he wasn't making enough money and could join the new "taxichorros" in a "ground floor" opportunity (too many taxi drivers that I don't like, for various reasons,,,heh).

If I was writing a screenplay about life in Buenos Aires, in one scene, on Aranales, I might have a fairly well dressed man wearing sunglasses, tapping the tip of a long white cane on the sidewalk as he makes his way toward 9 de julio. He taps his way past a very well dressed woman who is walking alone and paying no more attention to him than is needed to avoid contact as he passes.

Suddenly...

If I was writing a screenplay about life in Buenos Aires, in one scene, on Aranales, I might have a fairly well dressed man wearing sunglasses, tapping the tip of a long white cane on the sidewalk as he makes his way toward 9 de julio. He taps his way past a very well dressed woman who is walking alone and paying no more attention to him than is needed to avoid contact as he passes.

Suddenly...

If he walks down Arenales, he'll never reach 9 de Julio (teasing...)

And to think this city is still MUCH safer than Sao Paulo......
Maybe...? But the point, I think, is that it is getting progressively worse here. This is first I've heard of moto choros graduating to taxis. It's time for the man in smiling mask.

Back