Arriving In Bsas In Early February

4) I'd like to join a gym in Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend a decent barebones gym for a weightlifter? What if I only need it for a month?

This is actually tougher than you think. If you're a weightlifter in the traditional sense (no machines), you're going to have a hard time finding a gym with a proper squat rack and free bar. I visited 10 gyms in Palermo alone, most had tiny freeweight areas with a bench press and a set of dumbbells. The two I found with a decent free weight area and a squat rack were above 600 pesos per month. You will also need a health certificate as others have mentioned, which will cost you about 400 pesos.

If you really need a weightlifters gym, be prepared to pay for it - if you can survive with basic hotel style gym equipment, you can easily join a smaller gym for 300 pesos per month, or better yet find an apartment in a building that has a gym.

The two I found with a decent free weight area and a squat rack were above 600 pesos per month. You will also need a health certificate as others have mentioned, which will cost you about 400 pesos.

Which two had decent free weights & squat rack? thanks

Which two had decent free weights & squat rack? thanks

Megatlon Alto Palermo, and WellClub Aranales.

Always Gym had a lot of squat racks, (box style) but they are a crossfit training facility.

You will go through the Border at Paso Libertadores, Chile in a Bus to Mendoza, with no exit ticket is this OK?

Most gyms don't require the health certificate if you are going month to month. Certainly not the Average Joe gyms that are cheap. Megatlon is the most expensive and also the most strict about the medical certificate. Even WellClub never made me get a health certificate (paying month to month) - but then again for those that have know me, I am the picture of health, and maybe I got by on looks alone :huh:

A lot of gyms have very poor air circulation which is horrible in the summer and a health hazard. My favorite gym is Megatlon Barrio Norte followed by WellClub Arenales (best value). The Average Joe gyms are cramped and you are constantly maneuvering around broken equipment and other gym members making for an unpleasant experience. You have to pay more for gyms in Latin America than the US.

image.jpg

Most gyms don't require the health certificate if you are going month to month. Certainly not the Average Joe gyms that are cheap. Megatlon is the most expensive and also the most strict about the medical certificate. Even WellClub never made me get a health certificate (paying month to month) - but then again for those that have know me, I am the picture of health, and maybe I got by on looks alone :huh:

A lot of gyms have very poor air circulation which is horrible in the summer and a health hazard. My favorite gym is Megatlon Barrio Norte followed by WellClub Arenales (best value). The Average Joe gyms are cramped and you are constantly maneuvering around broken equipment and other gym members making for an unpleasant experience. You have to pay more for gyms in Latin America than the US.

image.jpg

You can also get the health certificate at Megatlon for around $100 pesos. They do it half an hour.

image.jpg

I managed to get a discount at Megatlon Premium Plus gyms through my girlfriend's employer, so it turned out to be best value for me to use Megatlon Alto Palermo ... but I agree WellClub Araneles was very good too. Has a pool and a lot of equipment and space.

Actually I found Megatlon Alto Palermo extremely crowded in the evening. I'm going to try and go before lunch see if that's any better.

Reactions: Joe
You can also get the health certificate at Megatlon for around $100 pesos. They do it half an hour.

Really? They seemed to imply I need to go to the doctor! They have medical staff on site?

Really? They seemed to imply I need to go to the doctor! They have medical staff on site?
They have a nurse at the Barrio Norte and the Rosario branches and I assume more. I got a certificate at both these places. WellClub Arenales also has a medical office - but they didn't require me to get a certificate.

Megatlon Alto Palermo is the most expensive category but I agree it gets crowded which is why I wouldn't join that branch. The Barrio Norte branch is less expensive with a lot more space. 5 or more floors, pool, really big group studios - but no air conditioning. But only mad dogs and Englishmen would be in BA in the summer time.

Back