Arriving In Bsas In Early February

hendiatris

Registered
Hey! I've been reading this message board for a few weeks and think I've got an idea or two about the expat community. I was working in tech in San Francisco and then did a wine harvest in Sonoma and now I'm heading to South America to hang out for a bit and then go to Mendoza for another wine harvest, hopefully. I have a few questions:

1) It seems like I should stay at a hostel for the first few weeks in BsAs. What do these cost? Can anyone recommend one?

2) I've emailed some wineries but haven't heard any responses. Does anyone have any winery contacts in Mendoza?

3) I'm flying from DC to Santiago (I found a sub $400 flight on that route) on Jan 27. My plan is to take a bus from Santiago to Mendoza, and then fly from Mendoza to Buenos Aires. What do I do about paying the reciprocity fee? And does this sound like a good way to go? I plan to spend a few days in Santiago and a few in Mendoza along the way, too.

4) I'd like to join a gym in Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend a decent barebones gym for a weightlifter? What if I only need it for a month?

5) I guess I'm a bit of a digital nomad now and I pick up contract consulting gigs and need my computer and some decent internet. Is it stupid to bring a laptop? Do cafes have decent wifi?

I'm sure I'll have others. Thanks ahead for answering, and I can't wait to meet many of the folks here.

I know a very safe hostel in downtown. It is located on Avenida de Mayo corner to San Jose St, right next to a pizzeria La Continental. Many Israelis go there for safety, I believe.
And on the same block you have a cyber shop with internet,etc.

Welcome! I can't answer all of the questions, but I'll answer these two:

4) I'd like to join a gym in Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend a decent barebones gym for a weightlifter? What if I only need it for a month? It is very easy to join a gym here, there are many, many barebones gyms for lifting weights, so just get situated and find one close by. I pay 300 pesos at my local gym, there are cheaper ones as well, and you can sign up for a month or even as little as two weeks some places.

5) I guess I'm a bit of a digital nomad now and I pick up contract consulting gigs and need my computer and some decent internet. Is it stupid to bring a laptop? Do cafes have decent wifi? Definitely bring your laptop! There is decent wifi in many places. It might be safer to get a short-term rental, that way you wouldn't have to carry it around all the time; they do sometimes get stolen.

Hi there check out AIres Up www.airesup.com.ar I go to the Palermo branch, decently equipped and great variety of classes:)

Hey! I've been reading this message board for a few weeks and think I've got an idea or two about the expat community. I was working in tech in San Francisco and then did a wine harvest in Sonoma and now I'm heading to South America to hang out for a bit and then go to Mendoza for another wine harvest, hopefully. I have a few questions:

1) It seems like I should stay at a hostel for the first few weeks in BsAs. What do these cost? Can anyone recommend one?

2) I've emailed some wineries but haven't heard any responses. Does anyone have any winery contacts in Mendoza?

3) I'm flying from DC to Santiago (I found a sub $400 flight on that route) on Jan 27. My plan is to take a bus from Santiago to Mendoza, and then fly from Mendoza to Buenos Aires. What do I do about paying the reciprocity fee? And does this sound like a good way to go? I plan to spend a few days in Santiago and a few in Mendoza along the way, too.

4) I'd like to join a gym in Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend a decent barebones gym for a weightlifter? What if I only need it for a month?

5) I guess I'm a bit of a digital nomad now and I pick up contract consulting gigs and need my computer and some decent internet. Is it stupid to bring a laptop? Do cafes have decent wifi?

I'm sure I'll have others. Thanks ahead for answering, and I can't wait to meet many of the folks here.

Petit hotel Recoleta...!! Uriburu 1183 petitrecoleta.com Check current prices $430 pesos for single w/p.bath Rate per month?5411-4823-3848

Google "La ruta del vino"

Check the Board thread on Boarding a Plane with ONE WAY ticket??

May need a local Dr, Health Certificate....? AS i hear

BRING LAPTOP... AMEN

Yes you need a signed health certificate to join a gym, although we just took the form and forged a signature on there and then stamped it over with an official looking stamp that the guy at our video store had. DONE.

Absolutely, you want a laptop. Just don't leave it unattended and better not to use it at an outdoor table. Sorry to say it, but better to be safe.

Maybe connect with Vines of Mendoza? They seem very international and connected, especially with the tourist side of the industry.

I'm not going to Mendoza for tourism. I actually want to go for a harvest and make wine, as I just did in California. Yes, I know the pay is not good. I don't care about the pay. If I did I wouldn't be in winemaking. If anyone knows any winemakers or owners of wineries, that's what I'm looking for.

Thank you all for such great help. I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing some wine, coffee, meals and conversation.

I'm not going to Mendoza for tourism. I actually want to go for a harvest and make wine, as I just did in California. Yes, I know the pay is not good. I don't care about the pay. If I did I wouldn't be in winemaking. If anyone knows any winemakers or owners of wineries, that's what I'm looking for.

Thank you all for such great help. I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing some wine, coffee, meals and conversation.

Check this links for temporary work in Mendoza harvest...!

https://www.google.com.ar/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1LDJZ_enAR501AR505&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=trabajo+temporal+vendimia+mendoza&spell=1

I'll answer what i feel like no one really hit on yet, if you got a good price on your flight that isn't a bad way to go, however you may want to look at taking a bus to buenos aires because planes are expensive if your not a resident. Also reciprocity is has to be shown no matter where you enter the country. How long are you here? just for tourism or to live?

My flight is a return flight, but from Santiago back to DC. I'll probably no show on the return, since it was cheaper to get a round trip ticket than a one way (I know, makes no sense). If I'm getting into Argentina from Chile, will I need to show that I'm exiting before the 90 days are up? I'll be sure to get my reciprocity sorted out before then, of course.

I'll be around BsAs for a month or two, but I'll probably take a jaunt to Colombia and Venezuela in that time to visit friends. At the end of March I'll be hopefully starting a harvest and that will be another two months in wine country, getting covered in wine and fighting off fruit flies.

Back