Arriving on one-way ticket. Problems?

harrisonba

Registered
Hi all,

Has anyone here flown into EZE from Canada/USA/Europe and had any actual problems?

Thanks!

Over the past 5 years I've flow into eze maybe 15 times and have never once been questioned about my length of visit..but yes i did fly in once from costa rica on a one way ticket, no problems.

I flew into EZE on a one-way ticket from Boston with no problem. I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that the airline employee who checks you into your flight is responsible to check for onward travel. I was told that if you make it past check-in, you're all set.

i flew in from miami in january on a one way ticket and there were no issues. there is an entry fee of $140 for americans when arriving that's valid for 10 years.

safe travels!

I had an issue leaving the US to come to Argentina with only a 1-way ticket. The woman checking me in told me I had to have proof of my return. What I did was to call up the airline and buy a fully-refundable ticket (something like $3000) on my credit card. That got me to BsAs. When I got to BsAs, I called up and canceled the ticket. It cost me $25 since I bought the ticket on the phone. You might be able to avoid that if you got it online or in-person, I am not sure. But heads up.

Thanks TarHeelBluze. Sounds like the worst case is a call to the travel agent from the airport... good to know... thanks!

Hi Harrison,

The same exact thing happened to me on the way here that happened to TarHeelBluze. I had a one way ticket with American Airlines, Boston to EZE. The woman checking me in gave me some blab about how if I was denied entry into the country for some reason then Argentina would make them pay a huge fine and they'd have to pay for my return.

Anyways, I booked a fully-refundable one-way return ticket right then and there with this same woman at the desk (a painful USD 2,500) on my credit card, and she let me go. When I got to BsAs, I called and cancelled, no quesions asked. I didn't have to pay any cancellation fees or anything. Asking around, it seems that it's pure luck of the draw whether or not your check-in person pays enough attention and gives you a hard time.

Total mess! I hope it doesn't happen to you :) Good luck

The comments are correct if you can get your boarding pass you shouldn't have a problem arriving in Argentina today, the requirement for proof of onward travel is recommended but not required. The first time there is a problem and an airline has to pay a fine the game will change. This being Argentina it could be never or tomorrow morning.

I flew in 2 weeks ago on the 2nd leg of a RT flight originating out of BA. I was flying Continental but this particular part was with United out of LaGuardia (to DC to BA).

The guy at the counter was training someone so when my info popped up he asked "if i had a visa?" I tried to bluff that the sticker they put in your passport for the $140 fee was a visa. He did not recognize it, but realized it was not a visa. I just made a face like "oh really, my mistake." And played dumb.

Then this next part is the crucial info: He then explained to the other guy but not secretly or anything: "It [proof of onward travel] is not required but we have to ask and make a note (in the computer) that we did. It says here (on the computer) that it can be purchased on arrival in Argentina."

So, my sense is that it is to cover the airlines ass so that if you are sent back they can probably try and charge you for a ticket back.

This was one guy at the United counter, and as with any of these large bureaucracy you rarely seem to get the same answer twice. But I know someone mentioned in another thread that there is an "official" governmental database for airlines that says what is "governmentally" required. Of course airlines are probably allowed to set any standard above (but not below) the government standard.

When I arrived in BA, absolutely no questions asked.

Back