ATM Maximum Withdrawal Limit with Foreign ATM card

Went to BBVA today, Saturday and tried to withdraw 9000 pesos without success, then tried 8000 and that worked so it appears that 8000 is the current limit. Received 7500 in 500 peso notes and the remaining 500 pesos in 100s.

On October 20, I withdrew 8000 pesos on one go at BBVA (2 times).

I tried going back the following day (October 21), but the machine then said that 4000 pesos is the maximum limit.

Bummer to say the least.

Anyone else bump into the same issue?

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me and I think I know why. I've withdrawn 8000 pesos several times from the same ATM at BBVA. A couple of weeks ago I was unsuccessful several times with several different ATMs in the same bank. I finally withdrew 4000 pesos and received all 100 peso notes. I believe on that day the ATMs were all out of 500 peso notes and that was the reason I couldn't get more than 4000 pesos at a time. Yesterday I returned to the same ATM and withdrew 8000 pesos on the first try and got 7500 pesos in 500s and 500 pesos in 100s. The ATM fee was the same for each transaction. And by the way I did receive 8000 pesos from the same ATM the previous day so that also could have been a possible problem.

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me and I think I know why. I've withdrawn 8000 pesos several times from the same ATM at BBVA. A couple of weeks ago I was unsuccessful several times with several different ATMs in the same bank. I finally withdrew 4000 pesos and received all 100 peso notes. I believe on that day the ATMs were all out of 500 peso notes and that was the reason I couldn't get more than 4000 pesos at a time. Yesterday I returned to the same ATM and withdrew 8000 pesos on the first try and got 7500 pesos in 500s and 500 pesos in 100s. The ATM fee was the same for each transaction. And by the way I did receive 8000 pesos from the same ATM the previous day so that also could have been a possible problem.

If One may ask what was the Fee?

I just took out 5000 in one go from Galicia with my pre pay Mastercard. Would have tried for more but that was all I had on the card. Charge, as per usual, was around 390 pesos.

How in the fuck is it possible these banks get away charging $10USD + for an ATM withdrawal? I thought the $2 fees at no-brand ATMs was bad back in Australia.. Does anyone have an update with the latest charges/limits for different ATMs using international cards?

How in the fuck is it possible these banks get away charging $10USD + for an ATM withdrawal? I thought the $2 fees at no-brand ATMs was bad back in Australia.. Does anyone have an update with the latest charges/limits for different ATMs using international cards?

A captive audience? Where else is a tourist going to go for cash? "Cuevas" probably scare the hell out of most tourists. I assume the $10USD charge only applies to foreign cards - not local accounts.

Another factor maybe that some US bank accounts reimburse you for ATM fees, so in those cases the fees are basically being paid from the US banks to the argentine banks.

A captive audience? Where else is a tourist going to go for cash? "Cuevas" probably scare the hell out of most tourists. I assume the $10USD charge only applies to foreign cards - not local accounts.

Another factor maybe that some US bank accounts reimburse you for ATM fees, so in those cases the fees are basically being paid from the US banks to the argentine banks.
The blue rate is worse than official these days which makes it even worse. Lets be honest the banks here are on the gravy train milking the economy for everything it has. They get paid 70-80% by the central bank on bonds and then loan out at 20-40% to the public. Its ridiculous they get away with such theft - I thought banks were bad elsewhere but the ones here are criminally bad. $10 USD to withdraw cash must be the highest in the world - can anyone find a country with more theft practices? It wouldn't be so bad if businesses here accepted cards universally instead of all taking cash only to avoid paying taxes.

The blue rate is worse than official these days which makes it even worse. Lets be honest the banks here are on the gravy train milking the economy for everything it has. They get paid 70-80% by the central bank on bonds and then loan out at 20-40% to the public. Its ridiculous they get away with such theft - I thought banks were bad elsewhere but the ones here are criminally bad. $10 USD to withdraw cash must be the highest in the world - can anyone find a country with more theft practices? It wouldn't be so bad if businesses here accepted cards universally instead of all taking cash only to avoid paying taxes.

I don't know of any city that charges higher ATM fees. I've been all over the world and travel very actively all over every year. I saw last week several tourists complain about the highway robbery rates they charge. I'd NEVER withdraw if I was really paying myself but as others mentioned, the Argentine banks are milking the system.

Many USA banks reimburse all ATM fees so I regularly use it to withdraw pesos. It's especially nice as the white rate is higher than the blue rate the past few months.

Back