ATM Maximum Withdrawal Limit with Foreign ATM card

Can we get another ATM update - trying to decide if visitors are better of bringing dollars or using ATM. Dolar blue buy rate is below official these days....
visitors are always better bringing cash - they can exchange it in banco de nacion if the blue is lower. still beats the nuisance of finding a machine that works and paying ATM fees

visitors are always better bringing cash - they can exchange it in banco de nacion if the blue is lower. still beats the nuisance of finding a machine that works and paying ATM fees

I do agree that visitors are smart to bring cash. Still, if you have a bank that reimburses ATM fees then it doesn't hurt to bring your ATM card as well. All of my banks reimburse me for ATM fees so typically when I travel even in Argentina I use my ATM cards. You talk about the nuisance of finding an ATM machine but you still have to think about time and hassle of exchanging money.

Hassle either way. NO WAY I'd use ATM machines if my bank didn't reimburse me. Crazy 380 pesos per withdrawal fee for withdrawing no matter how little you take out.

I do agree that visitors are smart to bring cash. Still, if you have a bank that reimburses ATM fees then it doesn't hurt to bring your ATM card as well. All of my banks reimburse me for ATM fees so typically when I travel even in Argentina I use my ATM cards. You talk about the nuisance of finding an ATM machine but you still have to think about time and hassle of exchanging money.

Hassle either way. NO WAY I'd use ATM machines if my bank didn't reimburse me. Crazy 380 pesos per withdrawal fee for withdrawing no matter how little you take out.

Yep, has to be the highest ATM fees worldwide?

Thanks - is there a limit on how much you can exchange? I remember there being long lines at BNA last time I walked past.. I think it depends on what service you require though.

Following Earlyretirements experience, yesterday I withdrew 7,000 pesos in one transaction at BBVA. 6,500 came in 500 peso notes and 500 in 100 peso bills. A couple of weeks ago I withdrew 6,000 pesos from the same bank and got all 500 peso notes. Next time I may try 8000 pesos to see if that works.

Hi Macanudo. Yes, I tried several ATM machines at various banks to experiment and BBVA always had the highest withdrawal limits.

Inspired by this post, I used ATM machine for the first time in BA since 8 years. I went to BBVA and I was able to withdraw 8000 pesos in one shot with a penalty of 376 pesos. This penalty will be reimbursed to me by the bank. So nothing to worry about. If not, i would never use the ATM.

The reason for using the ATM machine was that i forgot that I had run of out of pesos and its a long weekend..

Inspired by this post, I used ATM machine for the first time in BA since 8 years. I went to BBVA and I was able to withdraw 8000 pesos in one shot with a penalty of 376 pesos. This penalty will be reimbursed to me by the bank. So nothing to worry about. If not, i would never use the ATM.

The reason for using the ATM machine was that i forgot that I had run of out of pesos and its a long weekend..

That's awesome Ceviche that you were able to take out 8,000 pesos. I was going to go back and try 8,000 so great to know that it works. Did you try to withdraw more than that first? I know people always say cash is king but for a while there I was getting more withdrawing at the white rate than even going to a cueva and exchanging at the blue rates plus less hassle.

Hopefully we find some more banks that start increasing the limits. I think BBVA is smart to do that and hopefully will drive other banks to increase their withdrawal limits.

And for those of us that are fortunate enough to have banks back in the USA that reimburse all ATM fees, I don't see any downside to this method as long as it's available and the spreads remain competitive.

Back