Au Pair in BA

Lclc23

Registered
Hello!

I'm considering moving to Buenos Aires in June or July (as soon as my current work contract ends) and am considering au pair work. I worked as an au pair in Sweden a few years ago and had an absolutely brilliant time and would love to have the same sort of experience in Argentina.

The other au pair post though has made me a bit nervous. Is anyone familiar with any good, legitimate au pair agencies in Buenos Aires? Or possibly with a family looking for an au pair? I was thinking that if there is a Buenos Aires parents message board I could post there also. Does anyone know of such a site?

I speak fluent Spanish and English and am already very familiar with BA so should be a pretty smooth transition!

Thanks all!

If I were you I would look on my own or look for an agency in your home country that does international placements. Maybe get in contact with a relocation agency that relocates corp executives. Most of these AuPair situations end up as some type of abuse being done to the AuPair. I have yet to hear of one true and verifiable success story. Good luck.

I've actually worked as an au pair before and have several friends who are currently working as au pairs in Europe. I think it's a great experience and realy enjoyed my time as an au pair but I think a big part of that is choosing the right family. I know I'm not going to get rich as an au pair (I wish!) and that there are a lot of awful families but it's a great opportunity to get to work with kids and spend a few months in a new country!

Contacting a relocation agency is a good idea though, thanks!

I totally agree with you that an AuPair can be a wonderful experience, however, unfortunately, in Argentina, these kinds of positions do not get any type of prestige attached to them and you will end up being a nanny, housekeeper, laundress and cook for pennies. When I lived in New York I had some very wealthy clients that had household help, they got them from big employment agencies that specialized in household staff, who verified their references, skills, health, etc. They got paid well, were given 1.5 days off per week, paid vacations, room & board and worked with these families for years and were treated like part of the family. Don't expect that kind of thing here, and NEVER EVER pay some agency to find you an "opportunity", that is about as corrupt as it gets, charging people to find work!

Back