Aussie out of his depth

switcheroo

Registered
Gday guys,

I'm a 28yo guy from Sydney, Australia. I'm going to be living in BA for the next year, presently staying in Palermo.

I am working on a 3D animated movie at a studio in Núñez directed by Juan Campanella (a name that has significance for locals I'm told, and perhaps some foreign language film buffs), and am keen to find some more English speakers of a similar age group for those times when Spanish just isn't enough.

Anyway, drop me a line here if you feel like it.

Cheers
Ben

Hola Ben,

You may enjoy "The English Group of Buenos Aires" on Friday evenings, 8pm-10pm at "Fame", a cheap, large cafeteria at Cabildo 2921 near Congreso de Tucuman Station at the far west end on the ‘D’ line of the subte. This was started about 10 years ago by portenos to improve their English. Visitors from any country who speak good English turn up. Who’s there changes every week. The only rule is to not speak Spanish. Cost: one coffee or Coke in a disposable cup just to respect Fame's owners letting them do this every week.

A very good mix of backgrounds and interests. Conversations including ones about travel, music, the news, things to do, and your own life just develop. Subjects aren’t planned. Sometimes everyone attending or whoever wants to goes to a nearby parilla afterwards for dinner – one the members choose to walk to that week. The dinner is ‘in English’ too. After 10 when the subway closes, buses on Cabildo as you probably know will return you to Sta.Fe and Palermo.

http://www.theenglishgroup.com.ar/

Ahyoung_S95 said:
^ just wondering does this have an age limit?

Are you concerned that you are too young...or the people that attend are too old? :rolleyes:

Don't worry.

Age and nationality are not important.

Hi Ben, I'm also a 28 year old Aussie living in Palermo. I'm here for the next six months. I have a few friends but open to meeting others. Let me know if you want to catch up for a drink or something. Casey

Haha too young actually... I'm 16 and I found that a lot of adults seem to mind me a lot at first glance assuming that I'm just a normal teen...
:)
But honestly over the years since I've been here, I'd have to say that I like the company of older people rather than people my age, due to the fact that the maturity level of teens my age tend to drive me insane xD

Yes, "The English Group" spans all ages. And much more. Here’s a sampling of people I’ve met there. I’ve only been there about 10 times in 5 years as a visitor. If I lived there, I might go twice a month.

A student from London on a gap year in BA studying Spanish. Locals who went to last night’s long-awaited rock concert and talk about it. The member who works 2 jobs to support her never missing an important band. She’s the one who knows which ones will be coming to town next month.

Someone showing you how some toffs in Argentina can still over-pronounce the "shhh" in "Yo" so that you know you're dealing with someone ‘better’ than you. Or a psychologist who introduces her baby who burned his tiny fingers yesterday. An interpreter living in Belgrano who likes it so much that he’s not been anywhere else in the 3 months since he arrived. An older, earthy, gentle and 'seen it all' porteno who runs some kind of boat service and waits until he’s invited to speak. Someone whose English has improved so much in 2 years that you ask him to tell you once more about that military museum because last time you comprehended little of what he'd said. Someone who’s looking to lose weight because his new job with more responsibility keeps him at his desk for long hours. Someone whom no one in the group recognizes at first because she’s lost so much weight. (When they do, there goes 20 minutes spent on hugs, compliments and diet talk.) Someone young who may write a book about her grandmother’s interesting life and shares with the group her outline not yet written and wants feedback. Someone baffled by how to dial a number on his mobile, this being the one culture shock that he can’t get his head around.

A foreign couple whose employer posted one of them to BA for 2 years, who sorely miss their dog at home, make no qualms about not learning any Spanish and who, 2 years after they eventually return home, invite a young portena in the group (who taught you a principle that applies to all institutional decision-making in Argentina and who’s now battling an illness) to come and stay with them for a month in their country, one she has always wanted to visit. They pay her airfare.

Or it could be someone who’s just travelled Asia for months and tells us how he met in Tokyo someone who'd also been to the English Group OF BUENOS AIRES which astounds everyone because this grooup isn't well known. Or someone off a cruise and finding his bearings on his first trip to South America. Or someone from the Netherlands whose job here is to address some prevalent Argentine social problem but sees in her first week here that it doesn't really line up with the theories and approaches that she's brought.

A middle class portena who has several attendees simultaneously in stitches and empathizing when she relates how she was hassled this day by a security guard at Farmacity over sunscreen she'd bought there 5 days ago. She had committed the sin of not keeping the receipt for it in her bag with the bottle until she actually finishes and discards the bottle! So she has no proof of purchase and was accused of stealing it for such a stupid reason since anyone could see that the bottle had been opened and partially used.

Or someone stuck with an apartment rental gone bad and who's in shock or embarrassed. And someone whose entry for that "live in New Zealand in heaven with a job for 6 months " worldwide contest of 3 years ago has made it to the finals. Retired people in the middle of a new life. The shy. The extroverted.

Those who’ve come to see “Fame” as a bit of a home base in BA as well as being the name of an old film. Once in a while I’ve hit a night that’s low key with only 3-5 people turning up but usually there are about 10-12 or more.

Unless there are two guys called Campanella he is the one that won an Oscar with the film The Secret of their eyes...........with Darin and Soledad Villamil
Reina

Back