Ba Bank Account

Chet

Registered
I can{t find it now but I know I read somewhere on forum that what you need to open a bank account is a CDI (tax number) but turns out thats not right, at least not at citibank which the one that was mentioned in the post.

I may try another bank or 2 but seems they want a DNI , to take your money.

I was turned down by commercial banks, but was able to open a basic account at Banco Nacion. This was some time ago, things may have changed- but as I understand it, the State owned banks can do things that private banks cannot.
You will only be allowed to open a "cuenta de ahorros", not a checking account, without a DNI. But with an ahorros, which is basically a savings account, you can still pay your bills online, and even do autopay so your bills are paid automatically every month. No checks or credit cards, though.

Last year Banco Nacion required DNI plus/permanent residence, to open a cuenta de ahorro !

I had to provide my DNI, my CUIL for a cuenta de ahorros, and a copy of my lease since no bills are in my name. Just opened one last week.

I had to provide my DNI, my CUIL for a cuenta de ahorros, and a copy of my lease since no bills are in my name. Just opened one last week.

That sounds right, and for those of you who are used to bank accounts being free like in the UK (heck the banks get to invest your money until you withdraw it!), think again for Arg, here cuentas de ahorros incur a monthly fee!

Good luck!

I just tried recently. Commercial banks now require:

-DNI
-Permanent Residency
-and Proof of Argentine Income

Yes you need a source of income in argentina to open a bank account.

Did you not have to provide proof income? Which bank was this?

I just got 'fired' from my bank (HSBC) after 12 years as a client because I no longer have provable income (am now full time mum). Doesn't matter that there is money in the accounts, I have various products with them and I've been a good customer for so long. Policy is policy and I have no income anymore. So, will have to operate off the grid! They also refused to open one of those accounts mandated by law because they're "not for people like me" although they didn't specify what kind of person that is!
The manager tried to tell me this is happening all over the world due to money laundering restrictions but I cut him short on that one.

Back