Backpacking Argentina To The Usa

First of all I have lived several years in Mexico - in northern Mexico. I know what I am speaking about from experience. I lived there before President Calderon started his war against the cartels and after when things became very very ugly even in cities like Monterrey (I have lived one hour from Monterrey in Saltillo - Zeta territory. I had to leave because it got too dangerous in the north. And it seems it got even more dangerous after I left in 2010 - at least from what friends that still live there have reported.
As it seems you weren't even able to read my post completely so let me repeat one thing: Most narco related stories don't even make it to the news because reporters that write about it will get killed by the narcos. So much for I am getting my information from the news and have not experienced it!

WOW...Sensitive, eh? I never said YOU, I said MOST people. You want experience with the cartels? Check this out.

WOW...Sensitive, eh? I never said YOU, I said MOST people. You want experience with the cartels? Check this out.
I am not sensitive. Besides you did not write MOST - read your own post. Again I have lived there several years and experienced the situation there in my day to day life - how it went downhill after ~2008. And I still get reports from many dear friends who still live in the area. So don't tell me: "Sorry, but you're so wrong here. The ONLY people who think that Mexico is more dangerous than many other parts of the world are people who only get their information from the news and have never experienced it."

I am not sensitive. Besides you did not write MOST - read your own post. Again I have lived there several years and experienced the situation there in my day to day life - how it went downhill after ~2008. And I still get reports from many dear friends who still live in the area. So don't tell me: "Sorry, but you're so wrong here. The ONLY people who think that Mexico is more dangerous than many other parts of the world are people who only get their information from the news and have never experienced it."

Wow! So sensitive this morning. I don't doubt that you write and share from the piece of the puzzle that you saw/experienced...however, it's only one piece of the puzzle. The rest of the image is, as others have said, a very nice place to visit and travel in. Too bad that your 10% experience has allowed the other 90% of the country to be so distorted.

Wow! So sensitive this morning. I don't doubt that you write and share from the piece of the puzzle that you saw/experienced...however, it's only one piece of the puzzle. The rest of the image is, as others have said, a very nice place to visit and travel in. Too bad that your 10% experience has allowed the other 90% of the country to be so distorted.
Read my posts! I was writing about the north of Mexico - the part close to the border to the US and I think I made that very clear. If you are seriously saying that the border region is a safe and a nice place to visit then you are out of your mind and not doing travelers a favor. And regarding the piece of the puzzle: Where did you get your knowledge from? A few trips to Mexico?
And by the way in my previous posts in this thread I had recommended various destinations that I think are safe and worth visiting (in the other parts of Mexico) - don't make it look like I wrote that all Mexico is dangerous.

I am interested in giving useful information to a traveler. If you are telling him the border region is safe then your are giving false information and not doing him a favor.

I am interesting in giving useful information to a traveler. If you are telling him the border region is safe then your are giving false information and not doing him a favor.
I am saying the "border region" is no more, or less, unsafe than 90% of the rest of the globe. To unnecessarily raise fears among travelers is also a big disservice and maybe even a larger one.

Have you ever been robbed? Have you ever been mugged? Have you ever been shot?

If you answer 'yes' to any of these three questions, then I"ll wager it did NOT happen along the "border region".

I am saying the "border region" is no more, or less, unsafe than 90% of the rest of the globe. To unnecessarily raise fears among travelers is also a big disservice and maybe even a larger one.

Have you ever been robbed? Have you ever been mugged? Have you ever been shot?

If you answer 'yes' to any of these three questions, then I"ll wager it did NOT happen along the "border region".
I completely disagree. Where do you get your information about the safety of the border zone from?

I completely disagree. Where do you get your information about the safety of the border zone from?

Extensive personal experience and involvement there on an ongoing basis. Personal experience has been supplemented regularly by updates from friends that are also journalists, as am I.

Extensive personal experience and involvement there on an ongoing basis. Personal experience has been supplemented regularly by updates from friends that are also journalists, as am I.
Ok so just a few trips to Mexico ... Dmiller: Just ask Mexicans once you get to Mexico and they will confirm what I said.

Ok so just a few trips to Mexico ... Dmiller: Just ask Mexicans once you get to Mexico and they will confirm what I said.

Sorry, but 'extensive' does NOT mean "...a few trips...". And yes, I've talked to Mexicans; matter-of-fact, some of the journalists I mentioned earlier ARE Mexican.

While I'm sorry that you apparently had a rough experience in the "border region" your experience is by no means indicative of the total picture.

Sorry, but 'extensive' does NOT mean "...a few trips...". And yes, I've talked to Mexicans; matter-of-fact, some of the journalists I mentioned earlier ARE Mexican.

While I'm sorry that you apparently had a rough experience in the "border region" your experience is by no means indicative of the total picture.
Wow! You talked to some Mexicans about it? Then you must know it better than people who actually lived down there. Also why don't you say how much time you really spend there in the border region instead of repeatedly using the word "extensive"?

Back