Backpacking Argentina To The Usa

I love all of Mexico, and in my opinion Mexico City is absolutely magnificent and should not be missed! Just a very, very cool and exciting city. But safer than Buenos Aires it is not. Then again, BA remains one of the safest cities in Latin America, whether this forum wants to believe it or not. I don't think people really get this unless they've lived in another Latin American megacity and have had to adjust their lives accordingly in a way one generally still doesn't have to in BA (not yet, anyway). Also, I'm not going to get into the arguments but I have it on very good authority that backpacking around the border would be an extremely foolish thing to do right now. My friends with relatives there can't even go visit them anymore. Very sad for the people of Mexico.

just did that - here's a few ideas

Valparaiso, Chile
Arequipa, Peru
Mancora, Peru
Montanita, Ecuador
Banos, Ecuador
Otavalo, Ecuador
Salento, Colombia
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
Antigua/ Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Oaxaca, Mexico
Sayulita, Mexico

best places are the one's you'll find on your own..

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville

I love all of Mexico, and in my opinion Mexico City is absolutely magnificent and should not be missed! Just a very, very cool and exciting city. But safer than Buenos Aires it is not. Then again, BA remains one of the safest cities in Latin America, whether this forum wants to believe it or not. I don't think people really get this unless they've lived in another Latin American megacity and have had to adjust their lives accordingly in a way one generally still doesn't have to in BA (not yet, anyway). Also, I'm not going to get into the arguments but I have it on very good authority that backpacking around the border would be an extremely foolish thing to do right now. My friends with relatives there can't even go visit them anymore. Very sad for the people of Mexico.

I agree that many exaggerate the lack of personal security in Buenos Aires. I would say that Santiago is better but, even then, there are some dodgy barrios. Short-term visitors, though, are unlikely ever to enter them.

Sayulita, Mexico

best places are the one's you'll find on your own..

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville

I first visited Sayulita in 1986 when there were no restaurants or retail stores, few painted homes, even fewer buildings with second stories, and hardly any gringos.

My second visit, in 1994, was the week Don Pedro's Restaurant (on the beach) opened it's doors to the public.

When I moved there in 2000 it wasn't listed in any guide books, but some of the Mexicans I knew in Puerto Vallarta were already calling it "Gringolandia.".

2001 brought 9/11 and a slow tourist season.

2002 brought hurricane Kenna (October 25th) and a slow tourist season.

In 2003 an article in the New York or LA Times finally revealed the secret and the lid was blown off.

By the time I left in May of 2006 Sayulita had made Lonely Planet's top ten list of "family vacation destinations" in Mexico.

It obviously has become very, very touristy and even though it's identity as an authentic Mexican fishing village is long gone, it's still quite charming.

Back