Bagels!!

Here is a recipe from a trusted source:

http://www.kplu.org/post/how-nancy-leson-makes-bagels-scratch-one-hour-flat

If you cook them and it works I'd sure like to try one :=)

T/

Quiero Bagel seems a bit steep... $110 for a dozen? I know a professional baker here, I'll see if I can convince her to bake up some bagels.

Disco and Jumbo's bagels are pretty decent with lots of poppy seeds if that is your thing.

Good bagels are so different from the dry efforts sold up in supermarkets across the world. The best I ever had (not tried many in NY before I am lynched!) was in Brick Lane in London, just east of the city I hope it's still there, but there was an old jewish bakery after all of the curry places which sold fresh bagels with salt beef, salmon, cream cheese or any combination of the 3. Really cheap, no fancy extra OTT ingredients. Just wracks of fresh bagels streaming out of the ovens. They were not dry and totally solid, you could eat them without filling if you wanted and wouldnt end up with a mouth like Ghandi's sandal.

I can still taste them if I close my eyes.

I never really understood the bagel craze, even when I lived in New York City. The pizzettas de cebolla and focacce are good. Maybe I"m just crazy because I never fell in-love with bagels.

I went looking for some yesterday and today
The solo bagels at BA design is GONE! Don on Vera ,which supplies Cafe Crespin, is ,so I hear, very good but expensive I just called today
The plainest costs 12 pesos cinnamon or cheese flavoured ones 15 and 17 respectively! No way I'd pay this
Got some at Casa China in Barrio Chino but not really bagels...just more or less looked like them
Any other ideas at fair prices?
Thanks

I never really understood the bagel craze, even when I lived in New York City. The pizzettas de cebolla and focacce are good. Maybe I"m just crazy because I never fell in-love with bagels.

As a rule they are fairly unpleasant, but every now and then you get the real deal and it's a different ball game. Most of the generic ones in NY I tried where forgettable but I did try one or two which seemed to be a different bread altogeher.

A real tasty bagel doesn't need to be stuffed with twenty fillings. The less the better.

Back