Bank Account ?

cakeandbake

Registered
Hello expats.

I am a British national, and I will be moving to Buenos Aires permanently in May 2014. I just spent 3 months there with my boyfriend on a standard 90 day tourist visa, but this time will be a permanent move...though not 'legally'. (I will just be crossing he border every 90 days to renew my tourist visa)

I wondered if it is possible to open a bank account with any bank in Argentina whilst I am not legally a resident? Does anyone know, and if so tell me how they did it, who with, what documents were needed etc.

I will be earning money teaching English and so whilst I will most likely deal in cash, I think my money would still be safer in a bank account than in a box under my bed!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

P.S. It is my intention to become a 'legal' resident eventually - my boyfriend and I are saving for a wedding, but we are in no rush to do this and so I wanted to know if it was a possibility in the meantime.

You might consider using the "Search" function on this site to read one of the several threads on this subject while waiting for others to respond.

PS- I've been here 7 years and still don't have a bank account.

There is no general rule, but as a guideline, any bank will ask for the following:

- ID
- Proof of domicile
- CUIL / CUIT / CDI
- Initial Deposit
- Work contract

They might ask for all of some of the above mentioned items. I am not sure about the current situation, but they used to be pretty accomodating at Banco Piano on Cabildo ave. in my experience.

In my experience, it is not possible until you are a resident. I am a temporary resident, and thus have DNI and CUIL, the minimum requirements for opening what is called the "Cuenta de Ahorros Universal gratuita, the 'free for everyone and can't get rejected account") I brought to the bank the following with photocopies: DNI, CUIL, and a utility bill in my name (I brought my movistar phone bill). The account has no fees and will include a visa/link debit card for my use. Only condition is that I can not open any other accounts and the balance can never exceed 10,000 pesos. I opened my account 2 weeks ago at Banco Ciudad (Villa Crespo branch- short lines and nice staff). Hope this helps someone out!

Possible for a joint account with someone who already has one.

Back