Barracas Apartment Search

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a furnished apartment to rent in Barracas, preferably in a cool historic building. I've looked a little and have trouble finding one online, probably since the barrio is off the usual tourist route.

Can anyone recommend where to search for apartments in Barracas? Would an inmobilario office be able to help with furnished apartments? Or are there websites besides soloduenos.com that could be helpful?

Thanks!

P.S. I just read a lot of people saying Barracas is dangerous/ugly. Maybe I shouldn't be looking there?

These are the most hilarious posts!

Why did you choose Barracas and then back away so quickly? Just the appeal of the name?

I have friends who live in Barracas, in a historical building, lol. It's one of the old chocolate or candy factories that have been converted into apartments. Once you're inside you're in a little paradise, but I sure as hell wouldn't go out of there at night to pick up a pint of milk or any forgotten groceries. I am a girl though.

However, one of the first times we were over there my husband spotted a spiderman style break-in across the street (where they scale up the balconies), another friend got mugged coming out of our friend's building one saturday night etc.

But beyond the crime, which these days is pretty common in a lot of barios other than Barracas, I just find the barrio ugly. If you want historical building etc go to Boedo, much nicer if you ask me.

If you are looking for nice historical buildings check out these two real estate agencies -- they have some beautiful properties.

http://www.leticiafirpo.com/alquiler.php

http://www.hildalew.com.ar/ar/catalogo/buscador.asp?id=3

A lot are in San Telmo but also in Barracas (if you choose to live there), Monserrat, etc. I would suggest that you avoid Boca and especially Constitución (there are some gorgeous properties and they will look pretty cheap comparatively but it is a very unsafe area (during day and at night).

Suerte!

I have two friends who live in Barracas & both say there are parts that are safe & parts that are not safe. One of my friends has had taxis refuse to take her there after having dinner with us here in Palermo. I'm guessing she lives in the bad section or on the border of the bad section.

I agree with Syn that Boedo a good option. Apparently it's the new San Telmo... Maybe we can renamed San Boedo or Palermo Boedo or something... ;)

However, having said all that and also to address the other poster who wonders why everyone lives in Palermo, you'll be hard pressed to find a fully furnished temp apartment in areas that are "off the beaten path" so to speak. Supply & demand.

There are few tourists that want to stay in those areas. Remember most furnished apartments are for "real" tourists as an alternative to hotels. If you want to live in other areas you'll probably be looking to rent on a regular 2 year contract & furnish it yourself.

The safest areas in Barracas are at the intersection of Martin Garcia and Montes de Oca. The further away from there, the more dangerous.

I like Barracas, but you need a car if you tend to go out or most of your friends live in areas like Palermo or Belgrano, as its pretty far. If you work downtown and like to live a simple life in your immediate neighborhood, its the perfect spot. Its the kind of neighborhood you grow up in, and you stay. There are some very rich families living there.

oxente! said:
If you are looking for nice historical buildings check out these two real estate agencies -- they have some beautiful properties.

http://www.leticiafirpo.com/alquiler.php

http://www.hildalew.com.ar/ar/catalogo/buscador.asp?id=3

A lot are in San Telmo but also in Barracas (if you choose to live there), Monserrat, etc. I would suggest that you avoid Boca and especially Constitución (there are some gorgeous properties and they will look pretty cheap comparatively but it is a very unsafe area (during day and at night).

Suerte!

Thanks for the referrals. I am starting to get a little overwhelmed with the number of rental agencies. To help my search, how did you find out about this agency? They don't really seem aimed at the average tourist. I sent an email about an apartment I saw on their site so hopefully I hear back soon.

We went to look at a few of the bigger apartments for a standard 2 year lease, we ended up deciding to move to a new modern tower-style apartment complex rather than the classic/historical buildings in the end. I think we met people from both agencies - I know we went to see some Hilda Lew ones for sure.

Look for the temporary rentals which are furnished -- the standard 2 year contracts do not have furniture and will require a garantía.

mini said:
I have two friends who live in Barrancas

Don't confuse Barrancas with Barracas.

Barrancas is, belongs to the barrio de Belgrano 'Barrancas de Belgrano' near to Chinatown on other side of the rail tracks.

Lucas said:
Don't confuse Barrancas with Barracas.

Barrancas is, belongs to the barrio de Belgrano 'Barrancas de Belgrano' near to Chinatown on other side of the rail tracks.

Yes. That was a TYPO. I know the difference. I'll fix it now.

Back