Been down here 3 months and got beat-up & mugged

LAtoBA said:
The problem is not everyone is responsible. Especially when they're scared or in a situation that they perceive to be threatening. There's a fine line between self-defense and taking justice into your own hands, hence why I'm against this.

Besides at the end of the day allowing citizens to walk around with guns in the name of self-defense isn't a solution to the real problem, it's just a band-aid. How does knowing that everyone you approach on the street is armed make anyone feel safer? I would think it has the opposite effect.

You're certainly correct about that first part, but I would posit that the answer is education rather than deprivation. There are many reasonable ways to address these concerns, background checks and manditory safety/handling classes for example. Indeed, someone who carries a gun should have a very clear understanding of when it is and isn't time to pull the trigger.

I must disagree emphatically with the second part, however. Forcing criminals to stop and wonder if mugging someone at gun/knifepoint is worth their lives is a solid step toward greater general safety. I for one would feel quite safe if law abiding citizens I pass on the street are armed, both because I would be too and because for every criminal or psychopath there would be ten more good folks to help stop him.

This is apparently a hot topic! Out of all the replies, I bet we could come together and come up with some short to long term (trial) solutions so BA is fully accessible to ALL. Does anyone care about the people/kids out in these "bad" neighborhoods? Any of you taken the time to get to know what exactly they need. I am willing to go back to La Boca and talk to the people- see their frustrations, listen and hopefully come back with a better knowledge than "that's a bad neighborhood, don't go!" I do also like getting some media attention. Less tourists = less money for the city. the city can not afford that right now!

CedarPawn said:
Is anyone else going to say what should be obvious here? Were it only legal here, responsibly carried firearms could nip this problem in the bud.

I don't agree with this. I'd rather be robbed, and perhaps my cell or wallet stolen, that to be a part of a firearm fight.
They have nothing to loose, I, on the other part, would have to deal with a lot of shit by killing a robber, if I ever get to prove self defense.

If my information is correct, it is illegal to hit a minor in Argentina...even in self defense.

Resistance if futile (if not criminal).

responsibly carried firearms could nip this problem in the bud
Nope. This is not the US, and I hope that it will never be. When there is a gun, it will be fired.

marksoc said:
Nope. This is not the US, and I hope that it will never be. When there is a gun, it will be fired.

When there's a gun, it won't always be fired, hopefully. It depends also about the culture of the country, and also the education.
It's true that in the US there's an huge ratio gun/inhabitant with like 30.000 gun related death per year (although such "raw numbers" need to be understood = about half of those deaths are in fact suicides).
But for instance, in Switzerland, there's an even bigger ratio of gun/person (I guess that every Swiss adult male has a semi-automatic rifle at home by law. Any Swiss to confirm ?) and not that many gun related deaths.

Give a gun to 100 people : how many will know to use one properly, adequately, limiting the risks, etc.. ? 20, 30% ? That would make 70/80% of people who shouldn't really have a gun. Quite frightening (there are quite many accidents were a father shoots a son coming back from a party during the night thinking it's a burglar, etc.).

CedarPawn said:
Forcing criminals to stop and wonder if mugging someone at gun/knifepoint is worth their lives is a solid step toward greater general safety.

This assumes that criminals act rationally. They don't. Least of all teenage kids high on paco.

French jurist said:
When there's a gun, it won't always be fired, hopefully. It depends also about the culture of the country, and also the education.
It's true that in the US there's an huge ratio gun/inhabitant with like 30.000 gun related death per year (although such "raw numbers" need to be understood = about half of those deaths are in fact suicides).
But for instance, in Switzerland, there's an even bigger ratio of gun/person (I guess that every Swiss adult male has a semi-automatic rifle at home by law. Any Swiss to confirm ?) and not that many gun related deaths.

Give a gun to 100 people : how many will know to use one properly, adequately, limiting the risks, etc.. ? 20, 30% ? That would make 70/80% of people who shouldn't really have a gun. Quite frightening (there are quite many accidents were a father shoots a son coming back from a party during the night thinking it's a burglar, etc.).

Not sure arming the populous in Argentina would be wise especially if they handle guns like they handle other technologies like automobiles. However, one of the first people I met in S.A. not in Argentina was a gentleman that always carried a gun(he had a permit). He always wore it so it could be seen. His philosophy was if the crooks can see it they will likely not try something with you. I was once stopped in heavy city traffic and a gentleman came up to the window with a large rock. The message was for us to give him money or the rock goes through the window. The driver produced a pistol lowered the window and persuaded the gentleman to try somewhere else. In another incident we realized we were be followed by two young men in another vehicle probably with the thought of robbing us when we stopped. We stopped our vehicle produced the pistol and offed a couple of rounds into the air which dissuaded the fellows from following us further. I should point out these people were all licensed to carry firearms and were well trained in their use.

Reading these posts about the violence in the streets of BA has me rethinking my visit. If crime is up, and seems like it's increasing right along with Argentina's inflation, then I can only imagine what things will be like in 6 months to a year. This really bums me out. I plan on visiting BA in October/November by myself, and now I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'd hate to spend a few weeks on vaction knowing I'll need eyes in the back on my head. Someone chime in and appease my paranoia.

CedarPawn said:
I must disagree emphatically with the second part, however. Forcing criminals to stop and wonder if mugging someone at gun/knifepoint is worth their lives is a solid step toward greater general safety. I for one would feel quite safe if law abiding citizens I pass on the street are armed, both because I would be too and because for every criminal or psychopath there would be ten more good folks to help stop him.

Two problems I see with this. One, I think you're assuming that a completely armed populace would greatly lower crime. It might, but I do not think it would, especially when crime in societies like in Argentina and Brazil stem from poverty and inequality.

Secondly, one would have to assume that all criminals are rational and decent beings, many are not...to use your own words, some are "psychopaths". In any event, desperation does strange things to people, even to those that are otherwise rational and decent. And in the face of an armed populace criminals would simply change tactics. Rather than pointing a gun at you and demanding your wallet (because the assumption is that everyone is armed), he would simply shoot you, probably to kill, rather than face being shot himself. I think you would see a sharp rise in violent crime.

I also believe that your assumption that others would step in is faulty as well. Think of all the legal ramifications. I think most people would think twice before intervening in that type of situation, especially with a firearm.

ETA: And what about the police? How would they behave working in a completely armed society? I can only imagine a huge spike in "accidental" police shootings. "Well we assumed he had a gun......"

Back