Been here a month Now

USD $1,500 a month! I thought BA was supposed to be cheap!
Dear Sergio......Argentina is cheap cheap cheap....with one big exception.......rents. Rents are not the most expensive in Latin America but they are far from the cheapest. When figuring the cost of living here for someone new comes the realization that the biggest part of the cost of living is NOT the bargain that one assumes comes with the weak peso....rent. So 50% or so of the cost of living is not done at a dirt cheap level.

Dear Sergio......Argentina is cheap cheap cheap....with one big exception.......rents. Rents are not the most expensive in Latin America but they are far from the cheapest. When figuring the cost of living here for someone new comes the realization that the biggest part of the cost of living is NOT the bargain that one assumes comes with the weak peso....rent. So 50% or so of the cost of living is not done at a dirt cheap level.
If owners are charging rents like that BA is far from inexpensive for foreigners! I can't see why they would want to come.

If owners are charging rents like that BA is far from inexpensive for foreigners! I can't see why they would want to come.
Rents are very dear imho and unjustified for their size . Its impossible to find a good one bedroom apartment for less than 500 dollars a month now in good locations . Even San Telmo and Centro are 400 a month . There are many cheaper cities in Latin America

Rents are very dear imho and unjustified for their size . Its impossible to find a good one bedroom apartment for less than 500 dollars a month now in good locations . Even San Telmo and Centro are 400 a month . There are many cheaper cities in Latin America
Which cities are more affordable in your experience?

USD $1,500 a month! I thought BA was supposed to be cheap!
I’d love to hear more details on the apartment from @Spen but bear in mind that 1500 dollars for rent is on the higher end of rentals in buenos aires. Sure, there are more expansive places but the average middle class porteño isn’t renting for these amounts.

Other cheaper cities in Latam...!

I apply my 9 characteristic Excel chart consists of: Language, Metropolitan City, Health Service, Weather , Ethnicity, Cost of Living, Culture.
BA comes on top.
La Paz with lower rents..? Panama? Costa Rica? Santiago de Chile much higher , Montevideo way higher .

It depends on the type of visitor.
1 month full commision for furnished places pushes actual rent price by a lot for short term visitors, so if you are here for 3 months or less it's probably better to just stick with the higher airbnb prices.

Compared to other places like Colombia where you can get an airbnb for 2 weeks and then rent a furnished place for 1-3 months with no commision and half a month deposit.

Groceries, transportation and dining are all super cheap for what you get here. Rent is probably closest to the most expensive in LATAM for short term visitors but also closest to the cheapest one for anyone renting unfurnished.

Other cheaper cities in Latam...!

I apply my 9 characteristic Excel chart consists of: Language, Metropolitan City, Health Service, Weather , Ethnicity, Cost of Living, Culture.
BA comes on top.
La Paz with lower rents..? Panama? Costa Rica? Santiago de Chile much higher , Montevideo way higher .
In peru there are many great cities that are half the price of Biuenos Aires arequipa . Iquitos . Tarapoto . Trujillo and many more . Food is also better and cheaper !

In peru there are many great cities that are half the price of Buenos Aires arequipa . Iquitos . Tarapoto . Trujillo and many more . Food is also better and cheaper !
Perry I'm familiar with some of the cities you mention in Peru, except for Tarapoto?
The only city worth mentioning is Arequipa..! Still comparing it with BA is like comparing Paris to Nice ..? (Nice is a great place)

In BA we have Calle Corrientes with all the Culture , Teatro Colon, Connectivity Arequipa is off the main flight lines. Restos here are international, Peruvian food is great but not very varied. Graduate Education in Arequipa ? Public Health in Arequipa..? Maybe housing is cheaper in Arequipa.

Still Arequipa compares well with other smaller cities in Argentina, where everything is cheaper but you don't have the Metropolitan cultural content. Maybe San Rafael, Mendoza

It depends on the type of visitor.
1 month full commision for furnished places pushes actual rent price by a lot for short term visitors, so if you are here for 3 months or less it's probably better to just stick with the higher airbnb prices.

Compared to other places like Colombia where you can get an airbnb for 2 weeks and then rent a furnished place for 1-3 months with no commision and half a month deposit.

Groceries, transportation and dining are all super cheap for what you get here. Rent is probably closest to the most expensive in LATAM for short term visitors but also closest to the cheapest one for anyone renting unfurnished.

Grosso95 I was mostly considering the situation of the Expats that come to BA on long term basis or perhaps settle. Medellin is great but isn't Buenos Aires .

Back