Best/favourite things about BA

1) speaking (porteño) Spanish and learning every day
2) birthday celebrations (always more of a big deal than back home)
3) the commercials - my favorite is still the Arnet pandas
4) walking getting me from A to B
5) getting together for coffee in a "cafe notable" with a friend after work
6) medical coverage
7) Teatro Colon
8) Late night dinners out
9) my simple baking being able to impress any Argentine just because of moistness
10) in-season produce
11) my patio
12) never a dull moment
13) my husband
14) San Telmo

I'm sure there's more.

anjuna11 said:
Cheaper in the USA? Really?

Wines can generally be found cheaper outside of their country of origin as they avoid substantial local taxes that would otherwise be added. With this in mind you would likely find Argentine wine cheaper in countries with big wine markets. Still, the wide range of little known but fantastic quality wines available in Argentina is very impressive.

(Compared to life in California)

Taxes don't pay for war
Don't have to deal with religious fanatics
Health care is free
Downloading EVERYTHING extralegally with no backlash
Universities are free
There are free public art schools for kids
Life is not consumerism based
Family time is basically sacred
Society has a much, much higher regard for children (this should really be broken down into 4-5 (at least) itemized entries)
Buenos Aires is the most crime free city I've lived in
Buenos Aires is the most addict and drug free city I've lived in
People are *extremely* resourceful
Vast, vast majority reject neoliberal economic policy for the cruel hoax that it is
I don't need a car
People use the parks
People have almost no respect for authority figures (politicians/preachers/police)
Cheap public transit
No one *ever* confused my nationality with US foreign political policy
No feigned chipper attitudes
Drug possession for personal use is not illegal (thank you supreme court)
Plenty of bars allow you to smoke weed
You can do business in your neighborhood w/out dealing with a corporation (and even just hang out and bullshit with storeowners)
Far less processed food
Not very many fistfights
Cybercafes everywhere
BA's greedy/wealthy pretty much isolate themselves in gated communities, palermo and belgrano.
Physical culture-- lots of touching other people's bodies, hugging and kissing
Keys are dignified for a real gentleman
No poisonous animals to worry about

Love: Most rules are flexible and can be bent, ignored, creatively navigated, etc
Hate: Most rules are flexible and can be bent, ignored, creatively navigated, etc

Love: Can eat late, drink late and enjoy life without feeling pressured to hurry up and eat my meal or down my drink.
Hate: 40 peso cocktails

Love: My Argentina friends.
Hate: The rudeness and arrogance of most strangers in the city.

allcraz said:
9) my simple baking being able to impress any Argentine just because of moistness

hahah i thought it was just me.

I agree with many of the above so a few more not yet mentioned:
1. the adult world is inclusive of children
2. teenagers / young people have a good time without drinking tons of alcohol
3. serious respect for writers, artists, musicians etc
4. the political climate is far less conservative then in the countries I am more familar with
5. ice cream
6. the delta
7. flying over Buenos Aires at night after hours of apparent nothingness

fred nirk said:
2. teenagers / young people have a good time without drinking tons of alcohol

I don't mean to get this thread on a different topic, but I wanted to comment on the quote above.

I know a lot of things are in the perception of the individual, but I find this statement to be completely different from my experiences, at least in the city.

My sister-in-law came here from Paraguay at the age of twelve to go to school here. Her first year and a half were out in the 'burbs around Tortuguitas (35 km from the city). Things were pretty calm out there as far as kids went, I have to admit, but my experience was with her at a younger age out there so I'm not sure if it was the 'burbs or her age group that was different than when we came into the city.

Since she moved here, she has been invited to parties that are for kids from 14 to 28 and they are usually full of alcohol. On top of that, the kids usually get together before a party to have a "pre" (pre-party liquor-up). The parties usually "officially" start at midnight, but they don't start arriving until 1:00 am usually.

These are parties held at someone's house. At least one parent is usually there, but the kids dance and drink alcohol and at some parties weed makes a debut. Kids from all schools in the area come, invited by their friends. Depending on the size of the house/apartment, there could be anywhere from 20-60 kids partying. And often finding dark corners and doing things that teenagers will do when in that sort of a situation.

In addition to the parties, there are matinee dance clubs at adult clubs, from 9 pm to midnight that see kids around 12-16. There are security guards to make sure no obvious drunk kids get in - and a LOT of kids are turned away. I sat and watched one night after dropping her off with her friends to dance. I saw one guy walk away after being rejected and going almost straight to the curb and throwing up.

The 16+ crowd will not go to one of the matinees, of course. So they have their "pre" at someone's house then go to an adult club where they are more lenient about drunk people entering. They party from midnight to 6 am.

I see a LOT of teenage drinking. Sponsored many times be the parents, and I have even been guilty of this myself, after a lot of convincing that this wasn't a horrible thing here by family and friends.

Now, to tie my rambling in with the theme of the thread, things I like about Buenos Aires:

Teenagers, being teenagers, will find a way to consume alcohol, and even other substances. At least with the alcohol, I find it, upon deep reflection, to be a better way to handle the transition from childhood to adulthood under supervision of parents, than the way I grew up where our parents' attitudes caused us to do everything underground, with a greater risk of really stupid things happening.

This does have the adverse problem of allowing your kid too easy of an access to alcohol and can lead to serious problems; however, I feel that proper parenting, including discussing in a realistic manner the dangers and discouraging too much of it by limiting the number of parties they can go to, can overcome that in most cases and the kids are safer overall, particularly in the city.

I still fight myself with that one, though.

I love the monumental Architecture in Buenos Aires. 1) Banco de la Nacion Argentina (to the left of the casa rosada), 2) Aguas Argentinas (Av. Córdoba & Riobamba), 3) Congreso Nacional (Av. Entre Ríos y Rivadavia), 4) Palacio Barolo (Av. de Mayo & San José) 5) And the countless other less famous but very present and architecturally rich and artistic buildings that sit gracefully on their lots.

Back