Best Freelancers' Destinations To Live In?

Otherwise I'd think Europe would be awesome because they have so many conferences to network. But I guess what's throwing me off is what your looking for in a new location, because taxes and cost of living are. I mean I'm sure the cost of living and tax situation on paper in Somalia would be appealing. Ok, that's an extreme, but would Russia be extreme?

Actually, I started this post right because Argentina looked so good on paper, but it is turning out to be not so good in the long run. A great experience, but not a lifetime commitment.
Of course, it is very hard to beat the cost of living in Argentina, but there are other issues involved which aren't just numbers.

Living here part-time is awesome, but unfortunately it is not what I can afford or I am willing to do in this specific moment of my life. There are a lot of young and no-strings attached part-time expats, or retired expats, but they are another category. I came here full of enthusiasm and ready to down-shift, but then I started feeling limited. It is like going to the jungle thinking that your money will buy you stuff... forgetting that you are in the jungle.

As for the 10k, there is no issue in bringing them on yourself.

From expat point of view, this country is very good if you have regular income in USD and frequently travel to US where you can do all your shopping. And then life is heaven here.

Actually, I started this post right because Argentina looked so good on paper, but it is turning out to be not so good in the long run. A great experience, but not a lifetime commitment.
Of course, it is very hard to beat the cost of living in Argentina, but there are other issues involved which aren't just numbers.

Living here part-time is awesome, but unfortunately it is not what I can afford or I am willing to do in this specific moment of my life. There are a lot of young and no-strings attached part-time expats, or retired expats, but they are another category. I came here full of enthusiasm and ready to down-shift, but then I started feeling limited. It is like going to the jungle thinking that your money will buy you stuff... forgetting that you are in the jungle.

I'd be interesting in hearing the reasons you've come to recognize as to why it hasn't been so good for you in the long run. Seems like you have some cautionary advise you wish someone would have told you going in that might save some others some time.

Personally I'm in love with the culture, it's damn near the opposite of mine socially here, I'm madly in love with the contrast I have in my life.

But I can feel ya where it can seem like a jungle, especially after a day of working remote.

After the last post I was thinking about it and another recommendation I could make worth looking into is Portugal, it's not like Europe has been killing it lately, plus you could start meddling with Portuguese.

The 10k thing is (my understanding, what I've read) you're not supposed to enter the country with 10k+ undeclared or something. But really, having cash on you is a real burden because then you're extra paranoid about your stuff, not to mention the computer that you need to do what you do.

Idk, in my head I don't want more on my mind at customs because last time I got a lot of guff for repeatedly coming to AR for 5 months with visa runs in the middle of each.

Really I'm just hoping the person at migration isn't having a bad day and sends me back. My recurring nightmare... :X

Another measure to probably have on hand if you're working remotely is to checkout where the conferences you would be better for attending are. Again, there are tons of conferences happening of all sorts of disciplines there. If they have conferences there they probably have a strong local group to get to know, network with, help and be helped.

I agree, Portugal is often overlooked. Much cheaper than Argentina in every aspect, well connected and very special. I understand USA citizens could have some problems because of eu rules, but for Italian could be perfect. Had some friends there, they worked remote and lived quite good...

Ceviche, that's the point: people who can regularly travel abroad can get whatever they need during those trips. Who is stuck here, is bound to live by the local standard, even if on an income higher than average.

There are some things you can't buy, such a reliable water service, people not littering every inch of pavement, decent paper tissues, police control, etc.
In general, those who get along very easily with Argentina is because they live in a bubble (i.e. they can go abroad often, they interact little with the local reality, they live in barrio cerrados, etc.) But that's like vacationing in Argentina, not like living here.

I came here with the best intention of downshifting, but Europe is so much better! What's the point of being rich in Argentina if you can't even live in a home with a garden without barricading yourself behind bars and electrical fences?! Or about being able to afford a smartphone and then not to use it in public because you are afraid to get robbed? Or to talk freely because someone might understand when you are not at home or where you live? Is that freedom?!

Of course, this country has other (bigger issues), but I am just talking about my current thoughts based on where I come from. I still like it here, but sometimes I feel so distant from the locals.

Some of the things that bugger me are objective, other are subjective.
Objective:
  • the quality of services here is much lower, from the water supply/electricity interruption to the building water pump that can't be fixed (and even if replaced, it will break down again in a matter of months), to the quality of serving in restaurants, the pavements condition all over the city, the garbage all over
  • most people don't care about the public stuff, this means that they will litter, there is no public shaming in Argentina, you can't tell somebody "You shouldn't be doing this" because the best thing that can happen, is that you get yelled at. The worse is to be attacked physically.
  • The scamming culture, which is blatant toward foreigners and even toward Argentines who have lived abroad and are returning here on vacation or to live.
  • You can't go around freely, you have to know where you will be going and plan your route accordingly. You can't simply take your car and go. Or walk freely through the city.
  • Going abroad requires planning, a lot of planning because you will never know what the customs might invent to track you or fine you or tax you. When I read the paper where one should declare their phone make and model I get shivers. Is this 1984 yet?
Subjective:
  • I personally can't stand the mediocrity of Argentines, they always strive for the bare minimum. They are so talented, but they aim very low. This reflect in the quality of the products they produce: why make a cheap garbage, a mid product and an expensive design toy when everybody will simply buy the cheapest one? So we're full of garbage in shops and no quality goods.
  • The commercial limitations make me worry. Though I never experienced the need of an imported drug, tampax or contact lenses, I think the day it will affect me is not that far along the road.
  • I can't stand individuales, especially those made in faux leather. Which is the "posh" version for the local. First, the table is a mess, second, they never get washed properly and stick. Grow up and get a tablecloth, for god's sake!
  • They are so good at advertising, that once you see the actual product or service you realize you have been fooled. This looks like a resource-poor country that shifted intellectual jobs to compensate the lack of production/exportation of material goods. Which is sad.
  • I think we have a different ideas of "decency" as far of other human beings and animals go. I have been meeting people from various pet associations, and the standard (again) here is so low even for basic veterinary care.
  • Some things are unavailable, most are available in a very basic and rudimental version.
  • The food options are limited, and their preparation more than anything. I realize than in certain areas of Palermo there is more "ethnic" offering, but where I am there is not. It is always the same 10-15 (unhealthy) dishes with the cheapest ingredients possible. In La Lucila there are some trendy places, but the food quality is not up to their bill, imho. You pay for the location, the ambience and the security.
We are looking at Spain, Portugal and possibly Germany. Ona side note, we are discussing spending a year "trying out" Berlin and London before settling in a cheaper country like Spain or Portugal. A sort of sabbatical (we would be working!) to try the best of Europe.

We're in Athens and loving it. It's a small big city, close to everything and everywhere. I have no idea about the cost of real-estate, food or anything, but it's definitely nice and the weather is good ( hot summers and mild winters), not like Germany or London. The fruits and veggies are beautiful, Greek wine pretty good. Personally Germany is the LAST place I would consider.
We are not thinking about moving, I'm just throwing out Athens for Serafina to think about. I'm probably not a good person to help you, I love my life in BsAs, however we do live on the US$ and leave when we want. Also, we own our home in BsAs and I think that gives oneself more a feeling of permanency.

Nancy

Ceviche
  • Going abroad requires planning, a lot of planning because you will never know what the customs might invent to track you or fine you or tax you. When I read the paper where one should declare their phone make and model I get shivers. Is this 1984 yet?

Not true at all. ( 0.00%)

Not true at all. ( 0.00%)

There is a healthy dose of posts, both here and on other public digital venues, which are about:
  • Do I need a VISA to travel to...?
  • Can I exchange my pesos to...?
  • Can I use my Argie CC in....?
  • Can I bring back...?
  • Will I be held in customs if I....?
  • Can I take out with me...?
  • Can I cross the .... border with an Argie car?
While for sure these questions are common to travellers going anywhere in the world, the weekly "what's the latest update on..." is kinda scary, it makes you wonder "what will they make up next?" all the time.

There is a healthy dose of posts, both here and on other public digital venues, which are about:
  • Do I need a VISA to travel to...?
  • Can I exchange my pesos to...?
  • Can I use my Argie CC in....?
  • Can I bring back...?
  • Will I be held in customs if I....?
  • Can I take out with me...?
  • Can I cross the .... border with an Argie car?
While for sure these questions are common to travellers going anywhere in the world, the weekly "what's the latest update on..." is kinda scary, it makes you wonder "what will they make up next?" all the time.
This is true, but it would also be true if you travelled to many countries. When all is said and done, travelling in and out of Argentina is easy, especially if you are not Argentine. There are plenty of things to gripe about in this country, passing customs is not one of them imo. Many of the issues are because someone has overstayed or needs to renew their tourist visa. Try overstaying in most other countries and you would not pass so swimmingly through airport control that's for sure.

Back