Best Freelancers' Destinations To Live In?

We haven't considered Amsterdam, though we have visited it a few years ago and appreciated the possibility to go by bike anywhere. I was mostly disappointed with the food (besides herrings, nobody was able to point us other local dishes). I think Amsterdam is pretty cold in winter, and I remember it was very modern and avant garde but possibly as expensive as London. The language is awful (sorry) and could be a serious barrier.

Berlin - we have never been there but always heard positive things: modern, young, moderate prices.
I am no fan of Germany myself, to be honest, I'd rather go to Austria, though it is slight more expensive than Germany. I don't speak the language (my husband speaks some) and that's what puts me off the most. We visited Munich and it was not my kind of city, so I don't know what to expect from Berlin.

So far, we have discussed the following:
  • Living in the city is more expensive, but gives you access to the international community and more cultural events
  • Living outside the city should be cheaper, and we would have our car so transportation is not an issue. However, you are likely isolated. The language could be a barrier in a smaller town.
  • We like the nature and we would love to have a place with a veg garden of our own, tough maybe at this stage is not compatible with the social life we are seeking.
  • We like travelling, so being within a reasonable distance from an airport would be a plus.
  • To keep costs low, a place where heating is not on most of the year wins hands down.
Thank you all for your suggestions, keep 'em coming!

You actually described Barcelona, minus growing veggies ;) Then there is Sevilla also, south of France, maybe Italy. And of course, Portugal and Greece. All the rest have winter in Europe...

Back