Best Neighbourhood In Ba For Tourist To Stay.

PS- I don't hate Belgrano. I like it. Especially the immediate access to Barrio Chino as well as Subte D & Train ????, but I've been here nearly 7 years.

Honestly, for a tourist who is a week in B.A., it doesn't matter too much if its Recoleta, Palermo Soho, Palermo Hollywood or Palermo Chico. In areas you'll find bars and restaurants and they are all pretty central and safe. I'd just go to airbnb & co, look for an apartment in one of these areas and select based on the apartment - you'll visit all of the parts anyway and the difference from a tourist point of view is not huge, but the apartments you can get might have a huge difference.

MicroCentro DownTown is an excellent excellent choice for a tourist. No doubt.
(if you're looking for a neighborhood to bring up kids .. different animal)

Crime is everywhere you have to be careful (common sense), but in comparison to any other barrio, it's the SAFEST of all.

From your hotel window you'll see characteristic 9 de Julio with GREEN mature trees (miniature Central Park). It'll be a spectacle seen unique to BA.

About 6 blocks by 10 blocks are now all peatonal (no cars .. only pedestrians). Phenomena unknown to North American cities.

Not to mention walking elegant Florida & Lavalle .. BTW this is where all arbolitos are.

Hotel Las Naciones is cheap & modestly priced (Corrients 2 blocks from 9 de Julio).
If money is no object, of coarse NH on 9 de Julio is the way to go.
The closest Sheraton will be 10 blocks away, but for the location as a tourist, I'd rather prefer NH on 9 de Julio.

From the MicroCentro you'll reach ANY destination in CABA within 15/20 minutes.
Endless flow of buses and 6 subway lines at your door step.

Palermo... definitely Palermo. Hands down the best neighborhood for tourists to stay in BA.

Your best bet would be either Soho or Hollywood. Soho is more convenient (subways, busses, shops, supermarkets, etc.)
However, Hollywood is more "hip", with a ton of restaurants, bars and clubs.

I work in microcentro, its not nice after dark. Be crazy to stay there and not palermo whichever or recoleta. San telmo would be better than microcentro which is hectic (and currently a building site) during the day and a bit dodgy by night. Florida isntmuch in the way of elegant, although there are some hidden gems in terms of lunch spots, e.g the new brighton etc.

Is Palermo safe? any more?

Palermo: denounces more than 600 thefts in 90 days.

http://www.clarin.com/policiales/Palermo-vecinos-denuncian-robos-dias_0_1081692043.html

Final-informatica-Honduras-termino-diciembre_CLAIMA20140209_0104_17.jpg

Palermo Neighborhood Association for Security Autoconvocados recorded, from 1 November to 31 January, 616 allegations of theft: 323 (52.5%) were in the street; 158 stores, 56 assaults type piranha, 49 clients of restaurants (usually in houses fast food) and other 30 cases. According to this map of the crime, or the Commune Palermo-14, as these neighbors say from March to November 2013 had been received as many complaints of thefts from shops and on public roads.

Google translation

And as a bonus I personally will guarantee you will not see a single lady turning tricks on the street corners .

Elegantly renovated Florida is a stroll away from NH 9 de Julio door step. Nothing like it in North American cities.

I'm a downTown animal all my life. From Toronto, Montreal to San Francisco and every thing in between.

they may have changed the actual street paving but it is still full of gaudy shops that only tourists go into, the one bright spot is the ridiculously over priced galeria pacifico. Apart from that...it aint pretty.

Am all for pedestrianisation but the architectural heritage of calle Florida has been shat all over many years ago, beside any attractive building a gargoyle or a brutalist eyesore sits grimly beside. Bleeuccch..

Back