Best not touristy things to do in Buenos Aires?

coopsgeyer

Registered
Hey,

I'm a 22 year old bloke from Australia living in BA for 4 months and I've done all the touristy things what are some things people would reccomend to do day or night for people who live here?

Hey,

I'm a 22 year old bloke from Australia living in BA for 4 months and I've done all the touristy things what are some things people would reccomend to do day or night for people who live here?

stay at home and enjoy a 'copa' in company of a nice local girl.

After Ceviche's magnificent 10-point action plan in the other thread I feel inspired to flowchart!

Is this relationship of yours serious?
No - Go and enjoy the art and culture of the city - there have already been lots of suggestions and lots of it is free.
Yes
|
Do you speak good Spanish?
No - Then take Spanish lessons. Even if the lingua franca of your household is English your girlfriend will thank you for speaking good Spanish in other social and commercial situations
Yes
|
The Centro Cultural for your barrio will offer entertainment and education in all manner of things and most of it is free. If you don't feel inspired by what's on offer in your locality take a look at what other CCs have.

There is a great site called 'A gringo in Buenos Aires'. Lots of info and things to do off the beaten path.

After Ceviche's magnificent 10-point action plan in the other thread I feel inspired to flowchart!

Is this relationship of yours serious?
No - Go and enjoy the art and culture of the city - there have already been lots of suggestions and lots of it is free.
Yes
|
Do you speak good Spanish?
No - Then take Spanish lessons. Even if the lingua franca of your household is English your girlfriend will thank you for speaking good Spanish in other social and commercial situations
Yes
|
The Centro Cultural for your barrio will offer entertainment and education in all manner of things and most of it is free. If you don't feel inspired by what's on offer in your loclity take a look at what other CCs have.
Ceviche rocks- una fuente de sabidurias

One very pleasant thing to do on a summer’s day is to lunch in the convent courtyard of Santa Catalina church (microcenter, San Martin 705).

I don’t recall the hours but it is strictly a daily lunchtime thing. Food is simple, good, moderately priced, and self-service - you queue in a line with tray and advance past the prepackaged hot and cold offerings cafeteria-style.

You can then eat inside in one of the rooms formed by the walls of the now-decommissioned convent or at wooden tables distributed about the inner courtyard. Palm trees give nice shade. It is blessedly quiet (those thick convent walls). There are always a number of office workers on their lunch break.

TripAdvisor gives it 4.5 stars: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...na-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

The attached church itself is interesting and there are guided tours of the convent and church (Spanish-only from my one-time experience). It is not a “big thing” to do, just, as I noted at the start, something very pleasant on a summer’s (or summery winter) day.

Here’s another microcenter favorite of mine, even more off the beaten tourist path than a Santa Catalina convent lunch: The 1882 Centro Naval dining room (Florida 801). Translating from their web page, “Located on the 6th floor. Open to the public Monday through Friday, 1200 - 1530. Reservations can be made by telephone (4311-5466/1011).”

The menu is limited, the food somewhat pricey (high mid-range), but the architecture and atmosphere make it more than worth the effort. I understand from reading tripadviser that reservations are essential (several people noted they couldn’t get past the front door). I’ve always been with someone associated with the naval service so haven’t had a problem. Your fellow diners? It is a marbled officers’ club, so a few retired officers and in some instances their wives. Quiet, nice, different. The elevator itself is worth the trouble of admission.

If you’ve walked down Florida you’ve seen the spectacular doors of the Centro Naval (constructed from melted cannon).

Tripadviser gives this restaurant a 4.5 rating: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...al-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

entrada.jpg

Correction: Tripadviser's 4.5 rating for the Centro Naval was for the facade of the building, not the quality of the restaurant. If I had read more carefully, I would have noted that not one reviewer had actually gotten past the guard in the lobby (none having made lunch reservations in advance, and I suppose none having been interested in lunching there in the first place). They simply admired the doors and building architecture while standing on Florida. Still, if I were writing a review, I would recommend the restaurant as an interestingly different dining experience and the building as worth a look inside.

Back