best prepago phone provider for tethering & data only (ipad)

A slightly unrelated question but would be interested if anyone has experience in the following case:

I have a UK phone contract that will continue during the 6 months I am staying in BA.
I can't use the minutes/data as it is too costly even when buying an international package.
I would like to keep my UK phone number and just use data (whatsapp etc.).

Does anyone know the best route to this? I fear I may have to use two sim cards (one for during the day when I am out and need 3g/4g which has an Arg number and my current one for when I am home that I will just use wifi with)
Changing sims will become a task, why don't u invest in another phone here? Pretty cheap with foreign currency..for example this Moto E about $110 USD to buy

Just get a prepago Claro. Over the past year they've made it way easier to buy the packs through the app using your credit card directly

you can use also credit card via the app/website on Personal, FYI. Or are you saying that with Claro you can just buy a pack directly instead of loading credit first?!

(use Arg card if possible)

What's the advantage of an Arg. CC? We have both, but I don't recall which I used to put a little credit in my Personal account.

When you need a pack you just buy the data you need. Way easier then it used to be.

Sounds like the menu of packs and packages is more intelligible on Claro than Personal perhaps. Thanks for the advice!

I'm stuck doing that also; my WIFI is useless. I use Claro. For 3000 pesos I get 40 gigs, plus the free 2G every time I charge 500 pesos. So I tend to build up the 3000 pesos in six increments of 500, and get 12 gigs free.

On the theme of which CC, never use a foreign CC for anything here unless it's an emergency. They will charge you at the official rate, meaning you get 100 pesos per dollar instead of 200; pounds sterling or euros will be just as bad.

claro dec 2021.png

you can use also credit card via the app/website on Personal, FYI. Or are you saying that with Claro you can just buy a pack directly instead of loading credit first?!

What's the advantage of an Arg. CC? We have both, but I don't recall which I used to put a little credit in my Personal account.

Sounds like the menu of packs and packages is more intelligible on Claro than Personal perhaps. Thanks for the advice!

Yes you can just buy the pack directly instead of loading a balance. The advantage here is that when your pack runs out they just cut your service off instead of eating up your balance super fast with the "non pack data" rate.

In the past Claro didn't have this so you really had to pay attention to when your pack expired.

If you use the Arg card you get half priced everything in argentina... =)

Changing sims will become a task, why don't u invest in another phone here? Pretty cheap with foreign currency..for example this Moto E about $110 USD to buy

Main reason is not wanting to change my UK number

Thanks for the idea though - not something I had considered.

Just to update this: my phone started working as a hotspot the next day. I don't know why it wasn't. Either there was some transitory problem with the Personal network or it was operator error. Either seems pretty likely to me!

Just to update this: my phone started working as a hotspot the next day. I don't know why it wasn't. Either there was some transitory problem with the Personal network or it was operator error. Either seems pretty likely to me!
The venerably ID-10-T error. I can't tell you how many times I get that one.

I'm stuck doing that also; my WIFI is useless. I use Claro. For 3000 pesos I get 40 gigs, plus the free 2G every time I charge 500 pesos. So I tend to build up the 3000 pesos in six increments of 500, and get 12 gigs free.

On the theme of which CC, never use a foreign CC for anything here unless it's an emergency. They will charge you at the official rate, meaning you get 100 pesos per dollar instead of 200; pounds sterling or euros will be just as bad.

View attachment 8039

I'm going to stay in Buenos Aires next week. How do you get this 3000 peso prepaid plan? I can't see it online.

I'm going to stay in Buenos Aires next week. How do you get this 3000 peso prepaid plan? I can't see it online.

Claro has only one prepaid plan. After you get it and register on the website, you can buy a data package.

1640716389141.png

Back