Best Way Of Getting Money In Argentina

An_albumparty

Registered
I know that the Dolar Blue is now gone and so ATMs have become a financially viable option for getting pesos. However a google search tells me that the maximum withdrawal amount that most (if not all) ATMs allow is 2400, with a fee of around 80 pesos slapped on for good measure. Is anyone aware of any free ATMs, or are those non-existent? I'm not American so I can't get the Charles Schwab card that so many people online recommend.

Would I also be correct in assuming that travellers cheques would turn out to be more expensive than using ATMs? The thing is if I just get a travellers cheque with $500 or $1000 USD on it would it turn out to be cheaper than having to withdraw from ATMs?

Thanks.

Honestly, I would do two things:

- Get a credit card that does not have a foreign currency fee and tell them you will be traveling in Argentina. I've found the exchange rates to be pretty close to market; and

- Bring cash. Yes the ATMs work but the charges and daily limits are a real drawback. $10,000 in USD $100s (and I would only bring USD, or maybe EUR) is about the size of a deck of cards. Easy to hide...

Thanks. I already have a card that doesn't charge ATM fees (on their side anyway) but it seems that the Argentinian banks/ATMs will charge no matter what...

Any idea whether 200 or 500 euro bills are accepted in casas de cambio or in banks?

Back