best way to get USdollars? help pretty please

Kate Cohen said:
I may be wrong but I believe you can withdraw USD or Pesos in most of the major banks- Try a Citi Bank. I can on my card at least and I have a GBP account. I can also have my money sent via Western Union transfer to be collected in USD or in Pesos and there are many many branches of Western Union and it would be ready for instant collection as soon as you do the transfer via telephone banking with your bank. There is a fee for a Western Union transfer, and there is also a fee in Citi Bank of $16 pesos per withdrawal if you opt for that option. I would avoid carrying cash and exchanging cash depending on your amount, especially regularly on a given day or in the same place. If it was me, I'd take it from an ATM in dollars from a VISA debit or a credit card whatever you have, or do a Western Union. Whatever works for you. I hope it helps

I have tried this several times, but it does not work! Sorry, I don´t think that there are ways to withdraw USD at any citybank. At the ATM you are asked if you want to take Dollars or Pesos, but only Peso works unless you don´t have a Dollar-based account at that bank. If I am wring let me know!

I called American Express Global Assist (800-333-2639) to verify the check cashing option at the local Amex Travel office as I will need to have dollars with me for an apartment and don’t want to bring it with me since I will be traveling elsewhere before getting to Buenos Aires.

At least for me, with a Gold Card, it is definitely not possible. He said the option for this was discontinued about 6 months ago. Not sure if that is just for my card type or all Amex cards.

But the agent on the phone gave me another option. If you have an Amex card (any one), you can have American Express Global Assist wire you up to $2000 per Amex card once per 6 months via Western Union. The fee for $2000 is $25 which is cheaper then trying to do it yourself with Western Union since they have a better rate. And this wire will simply show up as a standard transaction and not a cash advance on your next Amex statement.

Find people like TOUR GUIDES, BARTENDERS, PEOPLE WHO WORK AT HOSTELS, and/or REMISES/CHOFERS de Turismo and get your dollars that way.

I said it before and it still holds true. Those people have the cash money. They deal with people who have DOLLARS!! And right now at ~4 to 1, exchanging money is as easy as it's been in years.

brooklynboy said:
At least for me, with a Gold Card, it is definitely not possible. He said the option for this was discontinued about 6 months ago. Not sure if that is just for my card type or all Amex cards.

Yes, we just tried this with American Express this week and they no longer give dollars for cashing personal checks due to new Argentine laws. With the Platinum or Centurion card (and on a tourist visa), you can cash a personal check from a US bank for up to U$S 5000 per month. However, they will now give you the payout in pesos rather than dollars.

I don´t understand why landlords go on asking for dollars if they can buy dollars in the nearest bank and it is not compulsory to pay in dollars I have a flat I rent and for me is not an issue to be paid in pesos or in dollars but I understand the pression on the tenants which is unfair and ridiculous.
Reina

rihornos said:
I don´t understand why landlords go on asking for dollars if they can buy dollars in the nearest bank and it is not compulsory to pay in dollars I have a flat I rent and for me is not an issue to be paid in pesos or in dollars but I understand the pression on the tenants which is unfair and ridiculous.
Reina

If an Argentina resident changes peso to dollars then the tax office will find out. They probably want dollars so they can put it under the mattress or in a security box and not get taxed on it.

rihornos said:
Reina

They do not want the hassle plus losing some points on the exchange rate when they can make that the tenant's responsibility. They are using the dollars as savings and not spending it. We accept rent in pesos or dollars too but we use that money every month.

Sleuth said:
They do not want the hassle plus losing some points on the exchange rate when they can make that the tenant's responsibility. They are using the dollars as savings and not spending it. We accept rent in pesos or dollars too but we use that money every month.

Just signed a 1-month-contract for a flat and no way the landlady would accept pesos, she only wanted US dollars! In all my previous experiences landlords/agencies never cared too much that I was paying in pesos (actually on 2 occasions I paid for my deposit in pesos and I got it back in US dollars), changing money is just a waste of time (and commission...) and it is impossible to withdraw US dollars anywhere!!

Yes we loose some points in buying dollars but bothering around for a rental that is not a fortune at least in my case doesn`t make any sense I won`t be poorer neither richer.
And DGI is not after this they are after luxury houses and cars that don`t pay taxes and those are very hard to make them pay, when I change dollars nobody asks where they come from as it isn`t a big amount
greetings
Reina

I usually send a check back home (via online checking) and have them wire the balance via MoneyGram. You can have it delivered in US dollars without the need for conversion as long as the person sending it selects that option upfront. It costs $10 USD to send up to $1,000 USD as long the wire is made in person with any MoneyGram agent.

Back