Best way to pay for things...

xohmyx

Registered
Hi

So im wondering which is the best way to pay for things in BsAs...
Here were i live for example i basically pay for everything on my card i will have a travel/credit card while im in BsAs is this the best way to go...or does that just scream 'rob me! rob me!' ?

Is it best to carry just a little bit of cash and keep my credit card stashed away?

I know i'll need change and such for buses/taxis but im talking about for buying like food and shopping and groceries and such...

If you have a credit card without a foreign exchange fee, use that when possible. I have gotten a bunch of promotional discounts/refunds here while using credit cards. But not everywhere takes a card, and you'll often have to show ID (like a drivers license or similar) when using your card.

Sometimes stores offer discounts when using a card. Other times, they offer discounts when using cash.

It depends on your style of life. For instance, chinese supermarkets, small restaurants and kioskos dont accept credit cards.
I understand that only credit/debit cards given by local banks provide you with discounts at stores. I read in previous threads that some foreign banks provide their coustomers with local credit/deit cards in Argentina.
As a safety issue, I suggest you to bring with you only one credit/debit card and only one ID with you.
Many people go to the supermarket or kiosco to buy a small thing just to have change in their pocket. You always can go to the bank to ask for change, coins and bills.

I have used cards in many chinese supermarkets.
Every one I have been in has a card machine- its usually hidden, and you will have to endure the stinkeye from the oldest chinese gentleman there, and you will be expected to show ID- but its perfectly possible.

Usually, its a pain, and I dont do it- but you CAN.

Nowhere near as many businesses in Argentina as in the US or Europe take cards- but well over half do.

But, as mentioned, there are two catches-

First- almost every card will charge you a transaction fee on every purchase- the amount will vary, depending on your bank, but it can often be substantial- a percentage, at the least, and often a fixed fee of as much as a dollar or two. This adds up fast.

I am told Schwabb does not charge this, or at least refunds it- not sure. But I have credit and debit cards with at least 3 or 4 different banks in the USA, and every one charges me something extra when I use it in BsAs.
Check with your bank- and find out in advance exactly how much it will cost you, including currency exchange fees, which are often in addition to transaction fees. And they dont give you a very good rate, either.

So its often cheaper to take out cash at an ATM, and pay one fee, then use the cas.

Second- ID. I made a scan, and a color print on my inkjet printer on photo paper, of my passport. Had it laminated for two bucks. I carry that with me in BsAs, and leave my real passport locked up at my apartment.
Everybody accepts it as ID, from FraVega to HSBC. And if its lost or stolen, its no big deal.

So I often do carry one card, tucked away inside my clothes, for big purchases or unforseen events.

However, Argentina is a long way from the debit card world that most of Europe and North America have become, and cash is a necessity.

I was used to pay with debit and credit card back home, and transfer all the rest. I hardly ever had cash.

Here it is very different. First of all our card often gets rejected, as they are from an (here) unknown bank (although the biggest bank in my country).
Also there seem to be a lot of skimming problems here so sometimes all European visa's are blocked for a whole day.

Besides that, when it comes to paying bills, you have this rapipago or pagofacil where you must go and pay cash. Transferring money is not as easy as it is back home.

Taxi-tips in restaurants, Electrician, plumber. Maid ...... Cash.

I find this "having to have cash" the hardest thing to adapt to.

I use cards wherever possible in BA, but only Charles Schwab and Capital One (the two that don't charge currency-exchange fees.) They are widely accepted in supermarkets, movie theaters, most retail shops, drugstores, and many restaurants. I always show my driver's license as ID, and have never had a problem (I actually have a bunch of invalid licenses that I use for international travel, since I couldn't care less about losing them.) If you're worried about safety, use credit instead of debit, since there's much less liability in case of loss or theft.

I only ever carry a card with me if I know I am going to use an ATM. I only carry enough cash for what I want to spend that day. I pay cash for everything. If I had a locally issued card, I'd probably use it for the supermarket promo days etc, safe in the knowledge that if I 'lost' it, I could get it replaced easily. But I only have overseas cards and it's too much hassle to replace one of those if I don't need to.

I use my UK credit card which has a chip at the local ChinesE with no problems. After the second time , they told me to forget about showing ID.

It all depends on the place I suppose

If you plan to buy with cash always ask for a discount, it is the practice here. You should get anywhere from 5 to 10 %, maybe more if you are lucky.

The discount given over the counter is directly related to the fact that no official ticket or receipt is given, therefore no taxes are paid. It happens often in small areas, or when they know you are a neighbour and not an inspector.

Back