Best Way To Visit The Amazon

TomAtAlki

Registered
We are planning on visiting the Amazon as part of a holiday in, maybe, March. As best I can tell a person can tour the Amazon from Ecuador, Peru and Brazil. Any suggestions as to the best place to tour the Amazon from would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to include specifics such as cities, hotels, boats, places, etc.

Thanks, Tom

You could fly to Manaos, Brazil, and then on. But if you really want adventure, you could fly first to Lima, Peru, and then to Iquitos, in the Peruvian Amazon. From there you are close to the source place of the Amazon river.

Hi i worked as a guide for years on the amazon ill write you later with my thoughts
crazy right now sorry
esteban

Lindblad Expeditions do cruises in partnership with Nat Geo and they tour the Peruvian (Upper) Amazon. There are other less pricy cruises.

Why do you chose the Amazon? The rainforest? The river? The uncontacted tribes? Just out of curiosity.

We are thinking of going to the Amazon to see the Amazon and everything that goes with it. From what I've read it seems to be a different place from all the other places. I'm curious.

Hi Having done the trip dozens of times in Peru, Brazil and Colombia, I would recommend the Peruvian one as you go on many smaller tributaries of the Amazon and in Peru, even on the Amazon, there is not the huge traffic and larger ships which are on the Brazilian section. That being saidm the Brazilian part is of course also interesting.
And if you have never been to Peru, you can combine the Amazon with a trip to this fascinating and friendly Andean country. My vote goes for Peru. I'll try to find the cintact for various ships and post it later!
Cheers,
Esteban

found it I did many trips with Jungle expeditions from Iquitos
they have three ships(small ones) Turmalina, Esmeralda and Amatista
Guides are great(or at least were been a while!)
hope this helps a bit
Esteban

When you say the Amazon do you mean the jungle or the river? I worked in Ecuador several years ago and the jungle there is as much the Amazon as in Brazil or Peru. I knew som guys that ran tours on some of the rivers connecting to the Amazon. They have moved on from there now but the tours still continue under other guides.

My Japanese retired couple friends took an adventure trek tour on tour operators called Kumuka.
They started in Ecuador~Peru~Bolivia~Chile~Argentina~Uruguay~Brazil. Through the jungles and rivers all over the Amazon.
You don't have to do the entire trip, you can join the military truck converted into a 4x4 bus from diff location. However, my Anciano friends did the whole lenghts of travel lasting 165 days! Slept in camp tents to hammocks in the Brazilian Pantal with water beneath them but nice clean Hotels on the way too!

Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador

Starting this trip in sophisticated Santiago, extensively covering five extremely different and diverse countries, this tour encompasses Pacific breaks, Panama hats, pristine peaks and Bolivian potions! We follow the Andes up the continent, taking in stunning scenery, rugged canyons, blistering peaks and Inca territories. If you've got the time to spare, we'll show you the adventure of a lifetime.
The tour that we operate in the reverse direction is Andean Trek (BXAT2).

Back