Best Wines?

Napoleon said:
The St. Felicien is usually cheaper at the Chinos by a LOT, but you can usually only find 2-3 years back.

It's cheaper because Catena Zapata sells all of their wines to the Chinos in bulk and en negro, so the Chinos can resell it at about a 20%-30% discount over the super markets or wine stores.

Most chinos don't have St. Felicien, the only time I have seen it at a chino was in Palermo (and I am sure recoleta) and the bottle was smudged and the label dirty. It was cheaper than the vinoteca by about 10 pesos.

I am not much of a shopper at chinos, yes I admit the prices are generally 10 - 15% lower, but most don't accept credit or debit cards, the service sucks and the stores tend to be dirty and I have seen A LOT of expired merchandise being sold. Plus most pay their workers in negro, workers have no benefits or are paid the correct minimum salary. If you have a credit card from a major bank and shop on discount days you can get the same or better prices than at the chino and don't have to deal with dirty stores and iffy merchandise. Just my opinion.

Have you tried a Tannat wine? I had one, cant remember the name at the moment but it was very good.

hannstew said:
Have you tried a Tannat wine? I had one, cant remember the name at the moment but it was very good.

Porvenir de los andes Laborum Tannat. Pretty good. Don David also has a decent ~30 peso offering.

Overall there's a reason most people don't produce tannat varietals and I think its a reasonable one.

tomdesigns said:
How was the 2006 Tapiz Black Tears? I have seen that before but never tried it.

Fantastic. I am generally not a huge fan of malbec varietals either, but this one I really love. The bottle last week was my 5th and with the exception of one horribly corked one they have all been excellent.

In my opinion it holds its own against or possibly betters the "Iconic" malbec at 2x the price (eg argentino, nosotros, luca, etc)

Speaking of the few exceptions to my not liking malbecs, the 2008 Luigi Bosca is another one. I bought 2 cases (48) back in feb when you could get them for 42cu. Its a light bodied, fruity wine that goes awesomely with the salads I make. Lots of red fruits, beautiful color, nice tannins, good black pepper notes that complement salads wonderfully.

Highly recommended on good bottles but cavet emptor, I've found noticeable TCA contamination on about one in every 3-4 bottles and have tossed 3 so far (~10%) as undrinkable. Makes me think they have a serious problem at the bodega which, in turn, makes me incredibly hesitant to drop big money on their premium offerings.

Do you know that in Provincia Mendoza there are more than 1,200 bodegas (wineries)?

That even the small ones produce from 3 different grapes to spread the risk and to some extent as mentioned below?

The large ones spread on far more grapes depending on altitude + soil + north/south/east/west side of mountain.

The Malbecs come in tinto, rosa and blanco - and as a jam

I would recommend to try

Red Malbec: Ruca Malén or Trúmpeter - both heavy, tannine - goes with read meat only - around AR$ 50-60.

Cabernet Sauvignon: Los Haroldos - goes with bird and to drink neat - cheap, 1.25 liter AR$ 30, STD bottle 21.

Syrah: Finca Paca - dessert wine - AR$ 110 por cajita 6 bottles.
- - - - - - -
I may mention that I am one of the foremost experts in wine.
If I dislike a wine, it's bad; if I like it it's good; if I am enchanted by it, it's excellent.

All you have to know about wine, really :D

There are wines, which score more than 90 points (out of 100) and which I dislike = bad wine - and others below 70 (or not on the scoreboard at all), which I like = good.

For those who like wines, you might want to go to this:

http://www.mundocuisine.com/ExpoCuisine/Index.htm

It's not as high end as "Vinos de Lujo", but there is a VIP section that offers higher end wines as well as liquors & cigars. (I'm not a fan of cigars, pero bueno.)

TICKETS

·········································································

ADQUIERA SU TICKET

Entrada General $80.
Entrada Alta Gama $150.

Socios y Suscriptores
Entrada General $70.
Entrada Alta Gama $120.
Entradas anticipadas con VISA 20%
de descuento.
(Los descuentos no son acumulables).

·········································································

CONSULTAS

Llamános al 0800 232 8466
o enviá un mail a [email protected]

Went last year. It was pretty good, not great but pretty good.

Davidglen77 said:
Most chinos don't have St. Felicien

I have my business located right above one who does. I think he's selling it at about $42. Villa Urquiza.

Back