bife de chorizo?

Does anyone here truely think that Argentine beef is still "Grass Fed". Very little is and the best beef goes to the restos so what you find in the markets is feed lot beef.

ghost said:
Does anyone here truely think that Argentine beef is still "Grass Fed". Very little is and the best beef goes to the restos so what you find in the markets is feed lot beef.

Nope. I don't believe it which is why I asked how everyone seem to "know" they are getting grass fed beef.

Thanks for reviving this.
It reminds me that we'll be tucking into bifes de chorizo tomorrow night, by the river on Adri's birthday.
I'll report back later on my definition.

Can anyone tell me what bife de chorizo is in English, or what the equivalent of it would be in the United States?
An official description of Argentine cuts, complete with anatomical references, is on the IPCVA website in english and spanish, see http://www.ipcva.com.ar/nomenclador/. I thought this would provide a definitive answer but I got ´cero result´ to bife de chorizo ! I´m not sure what this proves... but it is interesting to see the different approach to cutting up a body of beef.

Bife de chorizo is steak of sausage, only because the shape is generally thin and long, and they cut it as thick as it is wide so it looks like a sausage. It's porterhouse, sirloin, New York Strip, all the same cut of meat, but tastes better in Argentina. Ojo de bife is the same as what we call a scotch fillet in Australia.

Just from the looks of the cut .. you can tell :

Befe de chorizo = New York strip
Lomo = filet mingnon
some Befe Angosto = prime rib
other Befe Angosto = T bone
veal = ternera
etiqueta negra = nothing / regular

Back