Boise, Idaho anyone?

I live in Boulder CO when Iḿ not down here. Its gotten very expensive, and for years I told people they should consider Boise because it has a lot of the charm (university, small city layout, surrounded by beautiful nature) and at the time it was maybe half the price. I think a lot of people realized it, and went there during the pandemic when remote work enabled people to escape the cities. So now its less of a bargain. They have a nice little tango scene, some hep spots, some ethnic restaurants, and because its a college town, more culture than normal in a city that size.The summer weather was glorious, but I imagine winter is long. I actually found it more charming than Boulder (this is maybe 6 years back), but lacking the urban escape hatch of Denver. Once you are there, the nearest city is Salt lake (4.5 hours driving) or Portland (6.5). The question of being a blue dot in a sea of red (politically speaking) means, for instance, abortion is illegal from the moment of fertilization. Oh and you have the Aryan Nation and the Patriot front with a strong presence in the state, though not in Boise. Its interesting but a bit remote feeling, culturally its a bit of an island. It would be an extreme change from BA. Was South Bend Indiana on the list? I had a good feeling from that place, and its close to Chicago.
South Bend has a very high crime rate.

Any forum member is from Boise, Idaho? How could you compare it to Buenos Aires? We are considering relocating maybe next year ( married couple in late 40s with nursing and computer science degrees and a 12 year old ). Any tips / advice?
We doe
Any forum member is from Boise, Idaho? How could you compare it to Buenos Aires? We are considering relocating maybe next year ( married couple in late 40s with nursing and computer science degrees and a 12 year old ). Any tips / advice?
In CABA we live in Palermo Chico, which we enjoy. When the weather chills, we move to Turin Italy with weekends in nearby Switzerland. Zermatt is lovely in summer. In Turin, I conduct research at the famed Egyptian Museum. I wouldn't bother with the USA. Crime, racism, Trump, Biden! All sorts of nasty things.

What does 'very conservative' mean to you?
Here are a few examples of why people who live nearby (I live in Washington State when I am in the US) think Idaho is conservative. Not my opinion, these are all facts.

1- Large numbers of Police retire there-

2-A good friend of mine moved there because he could legally own a machine gun there- (unfortunately he later committed suicide with one of the fifty firearms he legally owned)
Machine Gun Laws
  • You can own a machine gun in Idaho if you comply with federal law.
  • The state prohibits minors from possessing automatic weapons.

3-Amon Bundy lives there (although he is currently on the run from the law, hiding in Utah)

4- The people of Idaho proudly proclaim its one of the most conservative states in the Union.

I've been to Boise and lived near Coeur d'Alene for years (just over the Washington State border). I much prefer northern Idaho to Boise--- very beautiful and not so dry. But crossing into Idaho from Washington State always felt like going to a different country almost. Seriously, and not in a good way. Super right wing-nuts everywhere, an underlying feeling of hostility/aggression, etc. I felt like a foreigner and was always happy to leave.

Have you considered the Spokane WA area? Excellent 4-season climate (in summer the humidity is generally inversely proportional to the temperature, and it cools off at night), low cost of living, and abundant medical facilities for your work. It's a good place to live with lots to see and do. We moved back to Argentina to be near family but will always miss living in Washington State.

Wishing you the best of luck...

I own a home in Idaho and spend some time there. What I have seen and what others have told me is that the state was pushed to the far right by newcomers from other states such as California.There is a movement called the Redoubt which might explain some of the attraction on the extreme end but most old time Idahoans are known to have a live and let live mentality and value their privacy and independence.

Last edited:
Nikad, No love for the Argentine interior?
I don't mind it, but roads are in poor shape, services, health and education scarce,not to mention lack of jobs ( we are not retiring ). In greater BsAs I don't feel safe and I dread gated neighborhoods. We might come back in the future and will explore options.

I was looking at some articles about " best cities to live in the US " and I am not a big fan of Florida's tropical weather, NC I really like but came up with bad news on water contamination, California is just too expensive, etc. I have friends from school living in Florida, Los Angeles, Connecticut, DC, Ohio and have been getting some insight but don't know anybody in Idaho. My husband has friends in NJ, Montana, Arkansas and NC, so we are trying to come up with a short list of places to explore ( we have a 12 yo boy )

Out those places that you mentioned I'd move to Connecticut. The cities aren't nice like Hartford and New Haven, but there are beautiful towns on the coast of Connecticut, and beautiful small towns around the state especially the Western part. There is nice nature in Connecticut, not as dramatic as the Western States you can get to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upstate NY for skiing and larger mountains.

Very good public and private schools, and safe. You can get to NYC or Boston in a couple of hours.

Back