Boise, Idaho anyone?

Out those places that you mentioned I'd move to Connecticut. The cities aren't nice like Hartford and New Haven, but there are beautiful towns on the coast of Connecticut, and beautiful small towns around the state especially the Western part. There is nice nature in Connecticut, not as dramatic as the Western States you can get to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upstate NY for skiing and larger mountains.

Very good public and private schools, and safe. You can get to NYC or Boston in a couple of hours.
But really expensive, and really cold. If I read everything correctly, those are two things that they don't want.

Another option we consider is Raleigh, NC. Have still most of the year to plan out and explore ( and figure out the moving itself.... )

Another option we consider is Raleigh, NC. Have still most of the year to plan out and explore ( and figure out the moving itself.... )
Another nice area and very popular. Not as cold as Boone.

But really expensive, and really cold. If I read everything correctly, those are two things that they don't want.

It is more expensive. Really cold? Probably not as cold as Boise, especially the coastal towns.

I know people with kids who relocated to Raleigh from NYC area and they seem quite happy with their decisions. I also worked regularly with many team members living there for a number of years and they seem relatively more relaxed, happy, and nicer than coworkers in other locations. Job opportunities for your husband might be pretty good there as well.

It is more expensive. Really cold? Probably not as cold as Boise, especially the coastal towns.
I lived an hour north of Connecticut and had ice and snow on the ground five months a year. There's not as much of that on the Connecticut coast, but it's the same cold. One of the big reasons I moved here was to get away from ice and snow and cold.

I would not move to Idaho. Healthcare in rural conservative states is generally is not so great. Doctors are fleeing Idaho in particular because of draconian anti-abortion laws. Schools in rural conservative states are generally poor quality.

Somewhere like Massachusetts or Washington state might fit the bill, unless you want to pay for expensive private school for your 12 year old.

Also if concerned about crime in BA, just note that there are place in the U.S. that are statistically much worse for crime than BA, though the places mentioned above aren’t those places. I’ve noticed that people in Argentina often have the misconception that the U.S. is safer than Argentina, and there are fair number of examples where it is simply not true. It is important to research how safe it is before moving somewhere in the U.S. and not automatically assume the grass is greener on the other side. Apologies for the rant but I feel it is necessary to give that disclaimer to someone considering to the U.S. but still deciding where.

Last edited:
I would not move to Idaho. Healthcare in rural conservative states is generally is not so great. Doctors are fleeing Idaho in particular because of draconian anti-abortion laws. Schools in rural conservative states are generally poor quality.

Somewhere like Massachusetts or Washington state might fit the bill, unless you want to pay for expensive private school for your 12 year old.

Also if concerned about crime in BA, just note that there are place in the U.S. that are statistically much worse for crime than BA, though the places mentioned above aren’t those places. I’ve noticed that people in Argentina often have the misconception that the U.S. is safer than Argentina, and there are fair number of examples where it is simply not true. It is important to research how safe it is before moving somewhere in the U.S. and not automatically assume the grass is greener on the other side. Apologies for the rant but I feel it is necessary to give that disclaimer to someone considering to the U.S. but still deciding where.
Fear mongering. Doctors are *not* fleeing Idaho. Schools are not "generally poor quality."

Back